not sure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randpgamble

Reaction score
Hi all, I found a little rabbit yesterday, he issmall, brown and grey and is eating lots of carrots. I was feeding himor her lettuce, Ive since been told that that is not healthy for him. Ineed to know how to keep him healthy, what I should feed him, how totell what he or she is, and if keeping him ina cage is notbeing mean to him. We have 4 kids that already love him, but we areafraid that he will get loose and run off and get stuck somewhere. So,whats the best thing for our new friend?

Well if he is wild im sure most of the people onhere would tell you its best to let him go keeping wildanimalsis illegal in some areas maybe you can post a pic onhereif your not sure. I keep my rabbit in a cagewith timothy hay fresh water everyday and a good rabbitpellet and a litter box..and a few chew toys in there:)iuse carefresh for the bottom of his cage andyesterdays news for hislitter box........ good luck :)

Does the little guy look wild? How big is he?

Wild rabbits, when they are about the size of a tennis ball, go througha phase where they have no fear of humans. They will walk up to you,eat things, and generally act tame. Within four days, they will changecompletely. If the little guy is wild, and you confine him, a few daysfrom now he will be literally bashing his head against the wallsof the cage, and will want nothing to do with you. Caging him couldkill him.

If he's not wild, keeping him in a cage (or thehouse!)is the best thing you could do for him. He wouldn't dowell in the wild, but will have a comfortable and safe life with you.He might take time to adjust but will be fine. Purina pellets, withtimothy hay and small amount of (safe!!!) greens are what he should beeating. Oats are great too.

So if he's tame and larger than what I described, he's probablysomeone's abandoned pet, and you should indeed "rescue" him. Take thelittle squirt to the vet--it's probably got fleas, mitesetc.from running around, and the vet can tell you if it's a he or a she.

If he is wild, don't worry about him surviving. He'll be just fine.I've seen many wild babies grow up, and they can take care ofthemselves better than you can.

Best of luck! I hope for your sake it's not wild, because pet bunnies are awesome and you'll have fun with it!

Rose

Latest posts

Back