Not Laying Together....?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agnesthelion

Reaction score
So Agnes and Archie are now to the point where they are together nearly all day in an xpen out of both their cages. Even unsupervised for lengthy intervals. Still NEVER even a tiny bit of a scuffle. They are seriously so at peace with each other. They groom each other, eat most meals together, switch cages with little complaint from either one, groom themselves, play, seem relaxed, walk by each other, it is a near perfect relationship......

Except they rarely lay down next to each other. Should I be concerned?

I will sneak downstairs when they are at their most "chill" which is usually early afternoon. I will find one napping in the tunnel, the other napping in the box. Is that weird?

They have laid together briefly. They will huddle together when startled, but when most relaxed they seem to need their space.

I'm nearly ready to open up the NIC cage to duel exploration but want to make sure this not laying behavior isn't a reason to be concerned OR move more slowly than already have.

Thanks!!

Their bond is still new, I wouldn't worry. Sleeping is such a vulnerable time so it will be the last thing to 'gel'. I'm sure once they are living together all the time they will slowly start napping together. Bunny love is so cute!
:inlove:

Sounds like Crispin and Junie when we first brought them home. It took a bit for them to be super comfy together I think and they didn't lay next to each other at first. Now, a couple months later, they snuggle up all the time!

Thanks brandy and Meredith, makes me feel better. :)

So do you think I should still be comfortable in moving onto the next bonding step? I want to open up free run area and start with brief cage exploration but want to make sure that the not laying together thing isn't a sign go hold things up a bit...?

My Bailey and Harley are bonded, and they've been bonded for a little over a year now, and they're not really all that snuggly. I mean, they do lay together, but Harley barely sits still because he's a big ball of energy. My guess is that it could be because Bailey's about 4 years older than him, and a lot calmer. Before Necro and Belle passed, who Bailey was bonded with before, there was constant snuggling.

I remember reading in one of your previous posts that you had basically been going on instinct while bonding Agnes and Archie, and it seems to be working out well for you! I would just keep using your instincts. :)

Thanks Chandra. It's reassuring to hear that you have bonded buns that aren't that snuggly with each other, maybe that's how Agnes and Archie will end up.

And you are right about following my instincts! I guess I just need a reminder of that sometimes ;) thanks!

I think mini rex tend to be high energy buns as Chandra mentioned. Gary tends to be the same way. He will groom Becky and lay with her if she doens't feel well. However, he will also chase the cat around the house like a crazy man rather than snoozing with her in the evenings as long as she's having a good day.

Trust your instincts. If you think they are ready then go for it. You know them best and how quickly they can move forward. :)

I wouldn't be worried at all. It sounds like they are bonding very well! You may see that in time they start cuddling, or you may see that they just aren't cuddle-buns and prefer to sleep apart, but still love each other. I have two bonded pairs and in one the bunnies are basically glued together, but the other pair grooms, plays, and eats together, but often sleeps in proximaty, but not necessarily cuddling.

2E563DD0-58A7-4FCD-B1C0-69056867F9B3-4755-0000018179B4EFAB.jpg

73C9A002-AD7D-4BFE-85BB-AB1D73A3D525-4755-000001817F1322BA.jpg

Wow, how would you like that BIG brown bun laying on top of you. Must be true love :)

Omg Christine those are some great pics :) your buns have the best ears, hahaha but anyway again good to know that some bonded pairs just aren't cuddly.

I wouldn't necessarily say Archie is high energy but he is more playful than Agnes for sure. Maybe she just needs her space from the crazy boy sometimes! Lol....

I think that your bunnies are ready for more. Beauty and Shiny Things did not lay down together until they had been living together for at least a week (cant remember exactly). They now ocasionally lay down together. Sometimes I think that Mini Rex are more active than other breeds, until I look at my lazy Jersey Wooly who does bunny 500 the whole time that that they are out to run. My mini Rex is defenitly active though. It really all comes down to the rabbit themselves and the mood that they are in.

Christine- I LOVE those pictures!!!! :)

Yes thanks Lauren. I do too sometimes, I just need to hear it :) I'm actually gonna do a slight NiC remodel so it's kinda new to both of them. I have a couple more supplies to get and then I'm set to open up for dual cage exploration.

Please document the WHOLE thing on your blog with LOTS of pictures :) I SOOO want to do a cage remodle myself so need ideas :) (the tricky thing is getting my mom to let me do it).

ldoerr wrote:
Please document the WHOLE thing on your blog with LOTS of pictures :) I SOOO want to do a cage remodle myself so need ideas :) (the tricky thing is getting my mom to let me do it).

Will do Lauren :) but it really probably won't be that cool :p just putting in some different flooring options for the buns. I got the idea from Suzette or Jennifer I think? Hehe, to give the buns different flooring options. So I'm putting some fleece wrapped around boards, some tile amd some new toys. So nothing TOO exciting but hopefully to Agnes and Archie it seems new and cool ;)

Nikolai and Mischa bonded very quickly, and by quickly I mean the first day they met. Of course it wasn't a -strong- bond, but one nonetheless. They did not lay together at all for the first few days. Only today did I see them laying together when I turned around. They would groom each other, but not cuddle. Even now they don't cuddle (when I am looking, anyways), just lay side by side, really.

That's a good point Alyssa. Houdini and Cinderella were like that. They would lay together but she would never groom him if I was watching. She was so shy! If I walked in and caught her grooming she would jump away from him like I goosed her! It reminded me of teenagers getting caught necking by their parrents. He didn't groom her much if I could see them either except for when she was really sick. He groomed her nonstop the last day at the vet's office before we had to put her to sleep. He must have understood how serious things were and was trying to help.

Latest posts

Back