Not grooming, Fur becoming dull?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisIsARandomName

Reaction score
I've noticed that my rabbit isn't grooming himself like he used to do first. His fur is becoming very dull! The only areas that my rabbit is grooming are His neck,Paws,legs and his back. Most of his fur is becoming very dull because of lack of grooming can anyone tell me what can i do to make him start again? and what could be the cause for him to stop grooming?

His fur isn't soft now, its very dry.

Should i bath him? I know bathing is very stressful for bunnies but what can i do for him?

He's 5 year old; turning 6 soon. My rabbit is a lazy rabbit, It's not new. Could it be the reason for him to stop grooming? He's getting old and very lazy. He barely do any exercise.. I've tried everything to make him do exercise but he just won't. he like lying down !

My rabbit isn't losing his fur or shedding...

Last edited:
No, don't bathe him. You could try washing him with a warm, damp cloth first if he is dirty. I don't think dry fur would result from a lack of washing though, would it? I'd expect he'd have slightly dirty fur, but not necessarily dry. Maybe I'm wrong, but the dryness sounds more like a health issue to me. Has he been eating properly? Is this different from his regular molts?
Has he been to see a vet? I realize he is slightly older, but he's been having a lot of symptoms lately, lots of ups and downs healthwise. I'm worried about him :(

I looked and saw you have been to the vet. All of his recent symptoms are probably connected to one problem. Has his bloated stomach and trouble chewing gotten better? His fur might be somewhat lackluster since he hasn't been eating well these past weeks, and the dryness might be from dehydration.

If this is the same rabbit with the chewing problems, did you take him to a vet to have his teeth checked to see if that was causing his chewing problems? Is he now eating normally or is he still not eating very much? If he's not eating very much, are you syringe feeding him? His dull fur is probably due to nutritional deficiencies from not getting enough food.

Latest posts

Back