Normal weight???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunadettesmom

Reaction score
What is a normal weight for a netherland dwarf? Right now she is about 3.5lbs. Is that a good weight?

Body weight shouldn't be used alone to determine healthy body condition, because body size will vary even within one breed. I have dwarf rabbits that are a healthy weight at 2 lbs. If they were 3.5 they would be morbidly obese. The brother of the two that weigh 2 lbs, is a healthy weight at over 3 lbs. Same breed, same parents even, but different body size, and all a healthy weight for their size.

The way to determine good body condition is by feeling the bones along the back, ribs, and hips. You don't want to be feeling any sharp protruding bones, there should be some flesh padding over and around the back and rump but not excessive padding. Generally a skinny rabbit will have an angular look when you look from the front, back, top, and side. A healthy rabbit will have a more rounded look. An obese rabbit will be too rounded along the back and rump, likely with drooping rolls of skin around the belly, legs, chin, bum, and/or sides.

This chart will give you an idea of how to judge body condition.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

Okay. From what I read in the chart, she is a good weight. I was worried because she was kinda pear shaped . and I wasn't sure if that was good or not. She is my first rabbit.

Latest posts

Back