No more Papaya Tablets?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
So the search function isnt working on the forum but I assume there have been other threads on this that I missed? Have I been living under a rock?

I went to order some more Oxbow Papaya Tablets today and was shocked to hear they have been discontinued?! Apparently Oxbow is coming out with something similar, I just hope they smell as yummy and make the wonderful rattle noise that my bunnies go nuts for.

Is anyone else freaking out about this or am I just a huge nerd? lol

Yeah, I just tried to order some this week, too!

I emailed the Busy Bunny about them, and got a really fast reply. I guess they will be replaced with a different Oxbow product?

I hope the new product is just as good and yummy. 2 of my bunnies really love these at bedtime. I'm almost out, too, so I hope the new thing comes into stock soon!

Someone on etherbun recently responded to a post re. using a human papya tablet on a rabbit. (multi strength)

They used it for ingestion of hair (not a treat)and said that it really worked.
I hada problems with joey and then penn recently that looked like the beginning of stasis so i went to GNC and bought papya tablets with bromelain and papaya and ? then dissolved the chewable ones in pedialyte.I got the rabbits over their problems and wonder if this worked..also wondered if it could burn a hole in their stomachs.
anyway just bringin up the subject of using a human papya tablet for a rabbit instead of one made for a bun.
sort of off topic :?

Yeah Soooska uses human papaya tablets and I know others do too. I use them more for a healthy snack for the buns than for digestive purposes. I know fresh papaya has the same health benefits but my buns wont eat it for some reason.

I tried a human one to see if my bun would like it..it was sort of sour but chewable

maybe a bun would like it

mine never had them before so they weren't going to start that day

you could try it

Mine like them also, but we generally get dried papaya and give it instead. Of course there's no rattling in the bag, but we could fix that with a cannister and a bean or something :D

Yeah, back in November I tried to order some from Busy Bunny, they e-mailed me back and said the same thing they said to BethM. Rory and Skyler got a papaya tablet every day. I don't know if they actually helped, but hopefully they did and it was a great treat for the buns.

I have some human papaya tablets, but they've got a lot of sugar in them. They are so delicious, I could eat them like candy! (I eat them if I've got a touch of stomach upset, they work wonders for me.)

Our Vet was the one who told us about the human Papaya tablets. Much cheaper too. Do you guys have Bulk Barn in the States? That's where I buy mine 200 tablets for $7.99.

Susan:)

I got mine at GNC, the only place I can find them. They have two different kinds (at least they did the last time I was there, which was several months ago). One kind tasted really really awful, and had something in addition to the papaya enzyme, I can't remember what. The kind I got was tastier, but had more sugar. These are definitely sweeter than the Oxbow tablets. Of course, at that time I was shopping for myself, not for the bunnies. :)

I started giving the Papaya tablets to the bunnies after Nick's two bouts with stasis this summer. (I figured it couldn't hurt them, and I know the human ones calm *my* stomach if it's upset.) Nick and Tobi love them, but Amelia doesn't. She will smell the tablet, then sort of curl her lips back just a little and hop away. It's hard to explain, but she does make a funny face.

Because of Nick's tummy issues (he gets squishy poos fairly easily, I have to keep a really close watch on his diet), I don't want to give them the sugar-y ones. Other bunnies might be ok, but not for Nick. I treat all my bunnies the same, which means if Nick can't have something, no one gets it. It's just easier for me. (Plus, if Amelia got something yummy that he didn't, he would steal it from her.)

I've got about a quarter of a jar of the old-style tablets left, hopefully the new ones will come out soon!

I heard they were reformulating it and had to shut down the production until they got the new formula up and running... Anyone else hear that? I think that was from Busy Bunny...

Encouraging news, tonyshuman. The crew here did well on Oxbow Critter Carrots (which I miss), CritterBerries and Oxbow papaya w/pineapple tabs. I sure hope they reformulate and lower the cost, and make 'em available.

Haley, I was in freak mode a few months ago about the matter.

ARGH!! What the?? Why on Earth??

Ugh...I hate change...lol!!

Customer service from Busy Bunny just emailed me that the Oxbow tablets have been postponed to mid-February and Busy Bunny should have them in at the end of February. She said she would email me again when they were available.

Poor Nick will have to go without his bedtime tablets for a few weeks.

When I got Kirby, it was mid-november and by then Oxbow papaya tablets were already discontinued on a bunch of sites. I got my jar of 500 someplace else, but I had to dig online. My kirby loves them, I keep a small number in a plastic snap-lock box so I can shake-shake-shake the box and he can see the tablets through the clear plastic. He perks up and runs over every time :)

I'll see if I can dig up which site I bought them from and share with you if they still have it in stock.

Latest posts

Back