NICs for Chinchillas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
I was talking to a lady I work with and she was asking about my rabbit (she loves animals) and we started talking about her cage. I was telling her about the fabulousity of NICs and how I made such a big cage for not much money and could bunny-proof the room and everything! And she thought they sounded amazing and wants to make a NIC cage for her two chinchillas.

Has anyone ever made them for chinchillas? Is it a good/bad idea? Any thoughts are appreciated! :)

I've heard of them being made for chincillas before. Idon't know whether that was a good thing or not, but I have definitely heard of it before.

I think the holes are a bit big and that chincilla's might be able to squeeze out. I'm not sure if that's only for babies or if adults are capable of squeezing through small spaces.

She could make an NIC cage, then wrap it in hardwire cloth like Maharwoman has done with her cages (to keep curious kitty paws out).

--Dawn

Naw, Clover is tiny but she sure couldn't fit through NIC holes - maybe if you use the spacers in between but not the holds. When she was a baby she could - she got out of a cat carrier that way.

I looked into that for my chinners.

Some people have them, but there is a warning, a chinchilla could get their head stuck in the hole.

People have had to cut or sauder the wire to get the chinchilla free.

So I would NOT recommend NIC cube cages for a chin, unless you wrapped it in something like Dawn suggested.

Latest posts

Back