NIC cubes or similar options?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pani

Bunny servant Lotte
Reaction score
I had hutches for my bunnies... but they hate being cooped up when I'm asleep or out of the house. They've been quickly destroying the wooden hutches as fast as they can.

Ideally I wish I could find NIC cubes available here, or orderable online without a ridiculous price tag. :( I know there's always the xpen route but it would be nice if I were able to construct a multi-storey pen to save space. Any hints/tips? I feel bad leaving my buns cooped up all night! There's no space to run around in their cages.

I found some NIC cubes very reasonably priced on Amazon! Or you can buy a cage something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0064OEJGM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And take the thing apart with some wire cutters (there are metal things holding the pieces together), then with some zip ties you can remake a cage any shape or size you like! Though all the pieces aren't square, there are four rectangular also. I think this would be the cheapest way to make something similar to the NIC cube cages.

Oh here's the cubes that I found reasonably priced:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SXSER6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Though I see you're from Aus so these links aren't that helpful haha!

Hope you find a decent solution soon, let us know how you get on!
All the best,
Selina
:brownbunny

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon ships some things to Australia, but unfortunately not the cubes available on Amazon. :(

If I have no other choice, I guess I can try taking apart a cage/xpen and messing around with it.

Oh that's such a shame, if I see any others cheap and they ship to you I'll post right away! I've got far too much time on my hands at the minute haha constantly browsing!

Using xpen panels is essentially the same concept. They are just much bigger than NIC panels. And you will probably need to use stronger zip ties, or more of them, to support the heavier weight.

Can you get wire dog crates? They can work well for rabbits. You can add a level and even stack the cages if needed. You would want a fairly big one, so it can be a bit more expensive.
I have also seen people use this kind of shelving. You do have to get to cut to the size you want and find a way to use the edge, but they can work.
images

I've used x-pen/fencing panels to make a temporary cage for Bandit after I got him neutered.

It's a bit of a pain with mine because they're a little taller than they are wide so you get some funny overlap, but it does work. I can imagine it being slightly more awkward than working with nic grids because have bigger panels it's not as easy to add an extra one on if you don't have the room for it unless you overlap. Would work pretty well adding a second level too. Trying to remember where my panels are from, maybe sam's warehouse. They're cheaper and a bit more lightweight than other panels, but the door isn't overly large for trying to get in and out (and you have to keep a latch on it because bandit can open it without one). But any sort of panels like this would probably do the trick. Though if I was going to go for a double story one, I might be inclined to get panels that are a little stronger.

24502d1329586823-got-new-red-eye-intro-tips-farnsworth-good-news.jpg

It looks like this particular set of cubes WILL ship to Australian addresses! I'm going to jump on that once I get paid. :) How many sets do you think I'd need to create a decent sized cage for two buns?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'll have to investigate shipping costs. :p Nice to know they're available, hopefully shipping won't be too bad haha.

For two bunnies you probably want either a 4x3x2 (Length, height, depth) or maybe a 3x3x2 depending on how big your girl is going to get. The three high allows you to add an extra level, maybe two again depending on the size of your bunns. If you weren't using cubes on the floor, you would need about 50 grid squares (I think), So three boxes. That's for a 4x3x2, without a floor and with an additional level at 3x2.

Actually, since Felix is a Nethi and Clemantine is a lop, you might only need levels that are one grid high (you'll have to see how high they can stand up). I would need higher levels for Bandit because he's larger, and has long upright ears :)

Last edited:
Felix can stand pretty high already, so I might go with taller levels to give him more room. Even if I bought four boxes, I think it'd be cheaper than buying them both new cages, even with shipping. :) Thanks!

Dang. :(

Amazon wants to charge $168.49 for shipping. I guess my bunnies won't be getting a traditional NIC cage after all!

Yuck!! There must be another place to get them.. surely. I think we'll have to start petitioning Big W and Target etc, because their stores in the USA sell the cubes, they just don't sell them here!!

Woooaaah that is some pricey delivery! You could try asking your local pet store if they would consider ordering them in and selling them? Most people with rabbits either use dog crates or something similar to NIC cages, so it could be something worth their expense in the long run? Worth a shot, worst case they say no! Maybe a few pictures could persuade them, especially with everyone's fury friends in!

I looked up what it would cost to send a 5" or so, stack of NIC grids to Australia, and through both Canada Post and USPS, youre looking at over $100. And those guys are usually cheaper then the big name package companies ive found in the past when I looked up shipping grids :|

I would look into using a 42 or 28" wire dog kennel. At least that all ready has a roof!

Yeah, I guess I'll be looking down a different route for housing options. :p Wire dog kennels!

I've been doing some web-browsing, and apparently Guinea Pigs Australia online now sells the grids. They sell a 4 cube pack (16 grid squares) for $28. Which compared to other places, may not be cheap, but at least you don't have to pay over $100 in shipping. I did a quick check, and for 3 packets of grids to be sent to me, the shipping cost was $29.40 (and I think only $34 something for 4 packets of grids). They're only doing pre-orders now, apparently they won't get out until the end of April, but if you're still wanting these, it might be the way to go. I'm honestly very tempted myself, but given that I can't build Bandit an indoor cage at this stage, it seems a little pointless :p

Oh, here's the link :) http://www.guineapigsaustraliashop.com/product-p/ccc.htm

Oh wow, that site is great! So much bunny stuff on there for a reasonable price. :)

Sorry to post 3x in a row...

Shipping is still a little pricey for the cubes on that site, but I could still get two sets (32 grids) delivered for under $100 AUD. I think I'll do it once we move into a new place. :)

Back