Newly Neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinaeariel

Reaction score
So, our adorable Bunnington got neutered about a week ago, and he is doing great. (Was doing great the first day, in fact!) Anyway, we have seen a few behavior improvements, (mostly him ceasing to hump my husbands arms and legs) but he has also stopped being so interested in our 6 year old fixed male cat (Bruce).
I guess my question is about the peeing outside of the litterbox. He was doing well before he hit puberty, and I know the hormones have something to do with it. I'm just wondering if he will go back to good bathroom behavior on his own, or if he needs to be re-trained or something. I want to steam clean my carpets, but also want to wait until he is done with this behavior. (just spot cleaning for now) Not sure if he can tell he has gone there before, and thinks its okay, in which case I should get them cleaned before this ends and maybe he wont notice his marks?
Sorry, started to ramble a bit, I suppose. Any advice is appreciated!

I would give it a little more time, it can take a month for the hormones to properly settle down. You could then try steam cleaning as currently any leftover smell of his pee on the carpet is likely going to encourage him to keep peeing there but if you steam clean too early he may just go there again as you said. So I would give it a few more weeks to let him settle down more from hormones and then attempt the clean. You could also perhaps restrict the size of the area he has access to to encourage him to use his litter tray and then gradually increase the size again. :)

The two buns Bandit and Snoopy are two weeks post neuter and humping has stopped and the little spot peeing is almost gone. The poop drops are improved.

Almost seems like their fur is softer also?

They are more easily approached, but we spend alot of time with them so that may improve on its own.

We have a nicely sized fenced off area (half of our spare room) with extra rugs and his cage in there, but he has since learned 'oh hey, I can jump this restricting fence without any problem' so when he pees in there, eh, not a big deal. But, it's tough getting him to stay in there. Def. need a taller fence, or I guess maybe put something on the top?

Latest posts

Back