Newly Adopted Rabbit Attacked Me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stormlark wrote:
majorv wrote:
I am by NO means an authority on bonding, but if you've only had her a couple of days, did she have enough time to get acclimated to her new surroundings before you put her with your bunny?
I agree that I moved too fast.  With other rabbits I tried, I waited longer before bonding attempts.  I think part of what made me try so early was her confidence and generally contented behavior only hours after she was brought home.  She didn't act nervous or frightened or shy, so I thought she'd be OK with a few short and supervised visits between the two.

Oh MAN, this is so true with what I had done in my thread (Heated Introduction). I was confidant about how brave Mr. Niki was, but I guess I did not think correctly.

Well, things have been pretty positive for the most part. There was some bitter fighting near the beginning, but they're used to each other now. I can have Tink running around the living room and she no longer spends her free time trying to instigate fights through the bars of Stelio's lower level pen. Tonight's match-up had a few spats, but generally they got along. The "spats" are far less intense than the fighting I've seen before. I no longer need an oven mitt. I can just push them away from each other and they calm down immediately.

The last issue is dominance. Tink is the only one displaying dominant behavior like mounting, and Stelio tolerates that to some degree, but he refuses to groom her. So they spent about thirty minutes tonight in a "groom me" battle, each trying to get their head under the other's, and then being stand-offish and annoyed with each other when neither relented.

The time limit to return her to the shelter is almost up, but I feel like this could work eventually. We've only got two days left, so I'll try to focus on this bonding as much as I can between then and now and hope for the best. The contract with the shelter is that if I return her within thirty days, I get my money back. If I return her within sixty days, I don't get a reimbursement, but I don't face a penalty, either. After sixty days, it's no longer considered a "return." Instead, I have to pay a fee to surrender her and I will be listed as her previous owner.

She really is a sweet gal, and even if they never bond enough to have them share their pen, it won't be as difficult to keep them both as long as they aren't actively trying to harm one another.

Maybe try applesauce on their foreheads. That can encourage grooming.

Im surprised after 30 days there are still fights. But if you are seeing progress then that is good. The article I referred you to awhile ago talks about that, ANY progress is good.

If you are able to house them seperate then things should be fine. And I've read stories where it took 8 months to bond buns so it still could work!

Housing them separate is easy enough. The problem with having two bunnies who hate each other is that they spend all of their free time in the living room trying to get at whoever is still in their cage. That and they end up running themselves ragged pacing back and forth in their pens because they can hear each other. That's why it hasn't worked out keeping unbonded bunnies in the past.

These two are doing fairly well for the most part. Tonight's match-up went rather badly with regards to fighting, but had some VERY positive behavior mixed in between. At one point, Tink pushed herself up against Stelio and then flopped, so she was spooning him. He just kinda sat there looking annoyed, though. They're still having trouble because neither one is willing to be submissive.

It looks like that's changing, though. Tink groomed him on several occasions, though she was a bit "bitey" about it. Tink also stopped mounting and seems to be switching to a more submissive role. That would be great, considering Stelio is the stubbornest creature I've every had. I really think this could work.

I decided to give it another thirty days. Trying too hard today caused more stress, which is why it went badly, I think. I need to give it more time and go back to doing things slowly.

Tonight's play date was very positive. I'm fairly certain they'll end up bonding and I'm glad I decided to give Tink another month. Their posture was completely different tonight. They were both relaxed and curious and respected each others' space. I decided to give them more room, so I moved them to the bathroom floor. Besides two nips at the very beginning, there was no fighting and even Stelio felt confident enough to munch on the vegetables I offered.

Great match up. I know they're not exactly grooming each other or desperately in love, but the fact that they were both comfortable being in the same space is a fantastic sign. I can't quite explain the difference in their behavior except to stress how relaxed they were.

Back