Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee-hoop-0u

Reaction score
So today on EasteršŸ¤£ my bunny had 9 baby bunnies one of them was very undeveloped she ate itšŸ’€ and the 8 others are pink and look pretty healthy some are smaller then others and I was wondering if it was normal they donā€™t look skinny skinny but Iā€™m not sure if she fed them how do I tell?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 10
I got a litter yesterday, still don't know how many, just cleaned the nest without disturbing them, it's cold and windy. I don't hurry things.
It's quite normal that there are some differencies, as long as they all get fed no problem. If you notice that some get fed way less than others you can take 2-3 fat kits out for one feeding, gives the others a better chance at the milk buffet. Did that just twice in 10 years of breeding.
But that's already kind of an emergency move, as long as all get some it's fine, usually the smaller ones catch up once they start on solids at about 2 weeks.
I got the impression that most times meddling make things worse.

Last edited:
I got a litter yesterday, still don't know how many, just cleaned the nest without disturbing them, it's cold and windy. I don't hurry things.
It's quite normal that there are some differencies, as long as they all get fed no problem. If you notice that some get fed way less than others you can take 2-3 fat kits out for one feeding, gives the others a better chance at the milk buffet. Did that just twice in 10 years of breeding.
But that's already kind of an emergency move, as long as all get some it's fine, usually the smaller ones catch up once they start on solids at about 2 weeks.
I got the impression that most times meddling make things worse.
U seem pretty experienced and I was wondering if them sleeping on each other could hurt them? Iā€™ve been touching them because the mom and I are bonded and she doesnā€™t really care (she hasnā€™t bit me or growled at me) and a lot of them sleep on top of each other some are really under a couple of them and donā€™t move and I keep trying to bring them back to the surface because Iā€™m scared theyā€™ll suffocate. Also mom went on top of them earlier and one of them started screaming what does that mean

It's actually a good thing they sleep in a pile, helps them keep warm. Also they actually move to and fro to find a comfy spot, that helps them with digestion. In nature that nest would be at the end of a tunnel, half a meter underground, with the entrance sealed shut, I'm sure they are pretty tolerant to COĀ² levels. See pictures for what if looks like when they get to do their shtick, that was quite some work to relocate that nest.
Screaming does mean what it sounds like, it isn't always something really bad necessary to make one scream, some fright or just "HEY!!!!". Some kits are avid screamers and start at every opportunity, but that goes away after some time.

Attachments

• Chantal Nest1.jpg
    Chantal Nest1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Chantal Nest2.jpg
    Chantal Nest2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 7
So today on EasteršŸ¤£ my bunny had 9 baby bunnies one of them was very undeveloped she ate itšŸ’€ and the 8 others are pink and look pretty healthy some are smaller then others and I was wondering if it was normal they donā€™t look skinny skinny but Iā€™m not sure if she fed them how do I tell?
Hey! Glad your bun finally had her babies! Its normal to have a few different sizes in a litter of that amount. You can tell if they are full but looking at their tummies. A well fed bun will have a tight, stretched looking tummy, with little to no wrinkles between its tummy and legs. A hungry bun will have a sunken in tummy with folds of loose skin. Here is a few photos.
This baby is one of 3 and very very well fed! You can see her huge fat round tummy and tight skin.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-20 at 12.20.21 PM.jpeg
Here's another picture of a full tummy from the side.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-25 at 9.27.59 AM (1).jpeg
The top 2 babies in this photo are healthy and well. The bottom one was a runt and did not survive. You can tell he's a lighter color, skinnier, and not thriving.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-24 at 3.55.46 PM.jpeg
I've found the most you can do is give mama plenty of food, water, and nutrients she needs to produce enough milk. I give my pregnant buns unlimited pellets and hay, and about a tablespoon of calf manna. The calf manna(comes from feed stores like Tractor Supply) boosts her milk production and makes her milk richer with nutrients the babies need to live.

Hey! Glad your bun finally had her babies! Its normal to have a few different sizes in a litter of that amount. You can tell if they are full but looking at their tummies. A well fed bun will have a tight, stretched looking tummy, with little to no wrinkles between its tummy and legs. A hungry bun will have a sunken in tummy with folds of loose skin. Here is a few photos.
This baby is one of 3 and very very well fed! You can see her huge fat round tummy and tight skin.
View attachment 60215
View attachment 60217
The top 2 babies in this photo are healthy and well. The bottom one was a runt and did not survive. You can tell he's a lighter color, skinnier, and not thriving.
View attachment 60216
I've found the most you can do is give mama plenty of food, water, and nutrients she needs to produce enough milk. I give my pregnant buns unlimited pellets and hay, and about a tablespoon of calf manna. The calf manna(comes from feed stores like Tractor Supply) boosts her milk production and makes her milk richer with nutrients the babies need to live.
Hi thank you Iā€™ve been stressing over this for 2 days now especially the fact that she destroys everything to go back to her old best that I wouldnā€™t let her have her babies in and just sits there I donā€™t think she is feeding her kits properly because they do look fine all are pink and jump around but there bellies arenā€™t full so I was thinking on feeding them myself

View attachment 60215
View attachment 60217
View attachment 60216
Please look at my new post

It's actually a good thing they sleep in a pile, helps them keep warm. Also they actually move to and fro to find a comfy spot, that helps them with digestion. In nature that nest would be at the end of a tunnel, half a meter underground, with the entrance sealed shut, I'm sure they are pretty tolerant to COĀ² levels. See pictures for what if looks like when they get to do their shtick, that was quite some work to relocate that nest.
Screaming does mean what it sounds like, it isn't always something really bad necessary to make one scream, some fright or just "HEY!!!!". Some kits are avid screamers and start at every opportunity, but that goes away after some time.
Please look at my new post

Back