New water bottle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlitzensmyBunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!
I had a question, the other night I bought Blitzen a new water bottle(cause the old one kept falling apart)...anyways I put it up and sheseemed curious, she came and drank a little then she started chinningit and all was well. But the next morning it didn't seem like she drankas much as she usually does, but I just ignored it. Then I decided toget a bowl of water and give it to her. She drank ALOT. I also got herto drink a little out of the bottle too.

Could it be she does not like the new bottle? It seems to work okay but I wouldn't know what it is like to drink out of ;).

Anyways it would help me and my bunny a ton if you could give some input thanks so much!

Julia

P.S. You were right Carolyn! Some friends of mine told me my boy bunny was a girl bunny!

:)

Did you use to give yourbunny water from a bowl? If you did that explains a lot. When I firstgot my bunny I gave him water from a bowl and then changed it to abottle, at first he didn't drink a lot but as time passed he learnedhow to use it and drank more and more water, but I don't know if itsthe same with your bunny. Hope this helps:).

Nice to see you again, BlitzensmyBunny, :)

I think *Nepo* nailed it on her getting used to the bottle as opposed to the bowl if she's used to a bowl.

Unless, of course, the waterbottle isn't working properly. When you tipit straight up and hang it, it shouldn't drop a bit of water. If youtap your finger on the ball, it should be easy to move and generouslyrelease water. If Blitzen is outside and it's cold in your area, itdoesn't take much for a waterbottle to freeze.

Glad you found out the proper gender of your baby girl. It must've been hard for you to go start referring to him as a her.

You'll have to take some pictures of Blitzen since her season's coming up.

I'm so glad all is well with her. Hope it is for you and yours too.

-Carolyn

If she knows how to drink from a bottle, whichshe obviously does, based upon your post, she is probably just being abit lazy. The water bowl is a much more effortless situationthan a water bottle and it is no wonder that a rabbit would prefer abowl.

The bottle is more convenient for us and keeps the water cleaner thanif left in a bowl, so they are two very good reasons for itsuse. I have read that buns will drink more from a bowl than abottle, so the behavior is not unusual

I don't think you have much to worry about if the bottle is functioningproperly. If you fed greens, with a lot of moisture,previously, that also would account for less water intake.

Buck

I know this may sound crazy but some rabbits arevery picky! Some rabbits get 'attached' to their water bottles andwon't drink out of any other one. I've had this happened to one rabbitbefore. To say the least her bottle was thebad looking bottlein the barn but she was drinking. ;)

~*~Amanda~*~

Water bottles also have different types oftips. We sometimes have problems when we switch cages and putthe rabbit on a different type oftip because they don'talways figure it out.

Pam

Gir is one of the picky ones... I bought a smallbottle with the ball in the tube when we got Gir for hiscage. Well once he moved into the big cage, Guin has a bottlewith the little nub that is nipped at and the water flows.Gir knows how to use it, but prefers the loud bottle! So hejumps to the sixth floor whenever he wants a drink.

Hi,

We recently changed lola's water bottle. Well the old onekept "dripping" so we purchased a new one. Lola did not drinkout of the new one. She kept bitting the nozzle. Itold my daughter to "change the hoses from the new one to the oldone. Well lola is having a ball. I don't understandI thought the new nozzle was appropiate, but she just would notdrink. Well I just refuse to give her or buy a bowl, simplybecause lola throws her food bowl around like it was nothing (sillyrabbit) so when we changed the nozzle, she dranked. Shedranked so much that both her cages were flooded with herpee. As a matter of fact, I think she is drinking toomuch. I too have a question to anyone out there who has aanswer. Does bunnies drank a lot of water. You knowhow "tall" those water bottles are? Well lola will drank 2times that amount. What is she lacking? Pleaseadvise

annkierst1

Annette and Kiersten (and Lola Annabelle Bunny)

I think Carolyn can give you some good insightand info on rabbits drinking excessively, when her rabbit "Fauna" wasfound to have a urinary tract infection. Excessive drinkingcan also indicate kidney problems.

Pam

Latest posts

Back