New to rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan2011

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Megan and I am new to the rabbit community. I haven't gotten any rabbits yet. I'm doing my best to not be impulsive, as cute and cuddly as they look! I have two different breeds that I have my sights set on, and both are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum. I will name my #1, second. I am looking at getting into Rex's for multiple reasons. One, I want a very friendly, pet orriented rabbit, that's cuddly and gentle towards my son who is only 15 months old (obvioulsy I wont be leaving them unattended by themselves at this point)and two, to breed. If we don't get into the breeding endeavour (which is something, after reading up on their diet/nutrition req. I'm not sure we should attempt so fresh in the game) I really want a Flemish Giant. They remind me of Belgain horses. Monstrous in size, but teddy bears in attitude. Basically a big, sweet, gentle giant. But again, the diet is a very heavily demanding one (quantity-wise). So I figured I would get started in a forum with a thorough amount of knowledgable people since I can't seem to get responses from any of the local breeders, to help educate me and make the final decision as to whether they would be fit for our family or not. I ultimately want to allow my rabbits to live, in house with us, being potty trained and know that their hutch is for potty, feeding and sleeping, whilst having the house as free roam the rest of the time. So, if there are any knowledgable breeders/hobbyist in the Spanaway/Tacoma/Puyallup area, or anywhere else near in the vicinty, I would greatly appreciate becoming associated with you.

Aside from what I'm looking for in the rabbit world, I have 2 horses, 2 dogs, a cat (declawed), reptiles, a couple fish, Zebra finches and a husband and child. I don't think I left anything out :? I'm a massage therapist at a Day Spa in Puyallup WA and I help train horses on the side as a hobby (no money involved). So, needless to say....I'm a very busy person.

I look forward to meeting a ton of new people and getting some knowledge under my belt. It's something I've always been ineterested in but didn't know if I wanted to persue it, so I guess now is the time to learn and find out! Talk to you all soon,
Megan :)

Welcome to RO!

Congratulations for controlling your impulses. It's tough with bunnies, they are so darn cute.

If you ever had a rabbit before, you know how awesome they can be. But if you haven't, it take a bit to understand how they tick. You have an advantage with your horses. Horse and bunnies are a lot a like. Any danger, they flee. Takes awhile to trust.

My suggestion would be to find a rescue and adopt a rabbit. Lots of bunnies out there, rexes included. Also lots of big bunnies. Experience a rabbit first before jumping into breeding. And for the breeders not calling you back, shame on them for bad business. But maybe that's a good sign.

Regarding education about bunnies, you have found the right place. Lots of good information complied by forum members in the RO Library. Lots of threads created to discuss everything rabbit.

Look forward to hearing what you decide. And please post pics of your other critters. There's a thread created where we can show off all our critters.

K:)

That's reassuring to compare them to horses in a sense. I've gotten to experience rabbits before, just not up close an personal on more than a couple occasions. Just a little here and a little there. The thing that always stresses me out the most about any animal, is their diet. Snakes are easy, but mammals, rodents, aside from cats/dogs, get my anxiety going becuase I want to provide the healthiest nutrtition possible. I even get stressed over my own child :/ So I think that's why I hesitate the most, especially after finding a good thread on another website just a little bit ago.

Mogan2011 wrote:
That's reassuring to compare them to horses in a sense. I've gotten to experience rabbits before, just not up close an personal on more than a couple occasions. Just a little here and a little there. The thing that always stresses me out the most about any animal, is their diet. Snakes are easy, but mammals, rodents, aside from cats/dogs, get my anxiety going becuase I want to provide the healthiest nutrtition possible. I even get stressed over my own child :/ So I think that's why I hesitate the most, especially after finding a good thread on another website just a little bit ago.
Don't blame you for fretting. Again, horses and bunnies are a lot a like. Diet is most important to keep them healthy. Like horses their digestive system must keep moving or things can go wrong. Unlike horses, if bunnies get gas, they can not expel it, and that can cause a problem.

A good pellet, good hay, and veggies will give your bunny a balanced diet. There is lots of info here and at other websites with good threads, that can help you make the best choices for your bunny.

I had anxiety at the beginning when I got my first bunnies, about everything. But it does subside. And it's an awesome experience.

Wishing you luck.

K:)

Hi megan,

You're only a few hours away from me. I know of a few breeders I can direct you to that are really close to you who breed rex's. Matter of fact one of breeders just had a litter of rex birthed a week or so ago. At first I thought their feeding was complex, but once you own them you start to learn what's great and what is great priced. Since both you and I live near farms and such hay is super cheap around here, but hey you own horses! So that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Flemish are awesome, but their size would be too much for me here lol from what I have read they are really hardy and there are a TON of breeders here in Washington. There is a rescue near you that has a litter of flemish babies waiting to be adopted. I can direct you there if you'd like. I follow her rescue on facebook.

Welcome! :)

Welcome! Good for you for doing your research! I also have a youg son (3 years old) and it has been fun and challenging teaching him about Agnes. He is also never allowed alone with her either. Sounds like you are on a good road towards bunny ownership and this forum will be a great source of info! :)

:wave: We have six bunnies, our Checkered Giant at 18 pounds is one huge lap bunny. Two dogs, the smallest one being our Great Dane, and one 12 year old Zebra Finch. Welcome to the forum.

Wow...12 years old?! I was wondering why mine were still around and doing good. I thought they only lived for 7 years. I have a pair that I've had since I was a junior in highschool, that was 2005/06. I have a male that I could totally do without. He picks on everyone so he's seperate from the flock. You sound like me, big dogs, big rabbits, one of my horses is pretty big for an Arabian as well. I keep telling my husband I want a great dane but he said not until he gets to have a dog he wants. His shi tzu (I don't mean for this to be rude, it's just a comical inside joke to us) just wont die...He's 19 years old. We had our vet check him out back in March and he said that he was amazed for how well this dog is doing. But my husband doesn't get to have another dog until Whickit have lived out his years.

You'd be surprised how long small dogs live lol I had a chihuahua that lived for 21 years.

Larry had a rabbit that was born in 1998 and just recently went to the rainbow bridge. Truly an inspiring rabbit story.

Oh my goodness. Yeah, I figured Whickit would have made it to 18 or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it another year...I just told my husband that when he goes down, he's gona go down quick. One day he'll seem fine then the next he'll probably be pretty down and out and not very coherent. That's how it seems to be with the older dogs. That's a good long life for a rabbit. My uncle had a guinea pig that lived for I think 12 years. I was pretty surprised at that one too.

Latest posts

Back