New rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dajeti2 wrote:
Sound like a Mini Lop to me, but I am far from an expert.

I wonder if he's been handled alot before you or the neighborgot him. I had a Flemish doe that acted like that. She wanted ourattention but sometimes she would seem uneasy bout it as well. It justtakes a while of petting and spending time with them.

I can't think of a better home for Dusty to have found thanyours. I look forward to hearing more and seeing more of thiscutie.

Tina
The neighbor had him a week and he got it from his friend who didn't have time for the rabbit.

Poor Dusty. Stories like his break my heart but I am so glad his has a happy ending.

I think it's definitely a case of he wants love but isuncertain at times. He'll come around before you know it with you andyour hubby there to show him life and love are great things. I wishnothing but happiness and the best for all of you.

Tina

I like the name Dusty, and I bet he is very grateful you took him in!
You are a super bunny caring family who he will love living with I am sure!
Congartulations!;)

He seems like areal sweetheart. I agree with Tina- Pepper has definitelysent you an early Christmas present. :rainbow:

Looking forward to more photos andstories. Welcome to the family, Dusty! :bunnydance:

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I am so happy that you came to Dusty's rescue.Sounds like fate that you were meant to be together, and I am surePepper had a hand in it somewhere.

Just give him time to get used to his new surroundings, and I am surehe will become a loving bunny in no time. Sounds like he really wantsto be friends, and just needs a bit of confidence to get used to you.Best wishes to you all :)

Jan

I was just wondering on whatto do about Dusty,he threw a fit when I moved his food dish, he tippedit overandmy husbandtried to play withhim and it looked likehe was going to bite him,but hedidn't.Does anybody have any suggestions.We want to keep him,but if hehas temper problems I really don't want him.

You have to understand where Dusty is comingfrom. You can't expect to bring home a rabbit who has been neglected tosuddenly love you and dote affection onto you. You're expecting toomuch from him. Give him time and persevere. I'd hate to see Dusty getpassed around once again.

Hi Pepper ,,

It sounds like there isa cooling offperiod needed , So Everyone canget used to each other, Iwouldnt try and force him to doanything he didnt want to right now .such as forced affection , forced playing ,and by forceI dont mean you are actuallydoing that , but to him it may feel as such .

Have you taken into account that maybe he reallywasnt bothered with , he may not be overly peoplesavvy as yet , its going to take time to get intohis good graces , and have him comfortablewith you and your husband .

You had mentioned the neighbor having toborrow rabbit food for him , maybe he is bowlterritorial because of not having enoughto eat before , I would suggest maybe anoutside feeder for the temprary , andtons of hay so he gets used tothe idea of having food on a constant basis .

Mini Lops are not by nature aggressive ,generally they are cuddle bugs and overly affectionate. I would give him some him time to himself for afew more days and then tryagain , hope this helps .

I agree with both. When we had Abby who is amini lop she gets like that sometimes. And she would thump at us if weare bugging her until she got used to us really well adn knows that weare great people to her.

My rabbit sort of looks like she's going tobite, but doesn't She sort of lunges then opens her mouth but sotpsshort of my hand? He is probably terrirotial because of what the otherssaid. He'll get used to it, don't loose hope for him, he is still young:).

Hi...So glad that you got dusty. I wouldn'tworry too much about his bad behaviour. He is new to your home and alsoright at that horrible behaviour "kid" age. He will probably beextremely active and difficult to handle forawhile Just stickwith it. I have a bunny, Beau, mini-lop mix that looks just like himand is about the same size. Good Luck with your new little guy.

We're still giving him a chance still.I know wehave to get used to him,just as well as he does with us.I know we wereused to Pepper and his behavior,and it's hard for us to get used to adifferent rabbit,with different behavior.I hope it works out,because wedon't want to pass him around,like everybody else did.Thank-you foreverybody's input on this.

Pepper wrote:
I was just wondering on what to do aboutDusty,he threw a fit when I moved his food dish, he tipped itoverandmy husbandtried to play with himand it looked likehe was going to bite him,but he didn't.Doesanybody have any suggestions.We want to keep him,but if he has temperproblems I really don't want him.

Aww, poor babe. He's probably still scared of you - hedoesn't know who you are or what you want from him, so he's beingprotective of himself and his stuff. You have to work withhim a bit to make him trust you.

When we got Cookie, he charged at us whenever we came near hiscage. He also bit us if we touched him on the cheek or triedto pet him but brought our hands from behind him where he couldn't seethem. We had to approach him from the front.

After a couple weeks he became a little sucky attention hogging bunny who only wants cuddles and petting.

He just needed time to figure out we were going to love him.

When I get a new bunny, I try not to pick it upfor two or three days, I only open the cage to feed and water. If therabbit approaches me, I will give petting, but not until then. I liketo let the bunny get used to it's surroundings, then get used to mebefore being handled much. It also gives me a chance to get to know therabbits personality and find out whether or not it likes to be pickedup. Some don't, they prefer just being petted.

I think Dusty is gettingused to us,he runs around and hops,so I think he's getting used tobeing here.He didn't do that when he first came here,now he wants torun in every room of the house.Plus,he doesn't act as nervous like whenhe first got here.

pepper2.jpg
Ecclesiastes3:19.....
Humans and animals come tothe same end--humans die, animals die. We all breathe the same air. Sothere's really no advantage in being human. None.

*my friends pet died last night ...I am so sorry you guys!!

10:02PM -4eprops -2comments -emailit
My friend had posted this on her website,when Pepper died.

Back