New Rabbit Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArvadaLaner

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new rabbit owner from Wisconsin. My 16 year old son was working on a farm, and he got me a bunny for Christmas! (A little early, because the bunny needed to come home right away.) I am a huge animal lover, and have raised many pets, but this is my first ever pet rabbit. I have spent the past few days reading up, and shopping for our new addition, but I decided to join this forum because I figured the best way to learn would be to talk with other more experienced owners. I want our new bunny to have a long, and happy life.
I am still unclear on his breed. We were told he is a Dutch rabbit, but he doesn't have the Dutch markings. We also don't believe he is fixed, but we haven't yet looked at his "area." Today, I selected a veterinarian for him, and we will be taking him in for his first check up after Christmas. After that, I will be getting him fixed, if I can. I'm not sure if you can do that at any age. We were told he is 2 years old.
So far, he seems to be very comfortable here. He seemed instantly drawn to myself and my boyfriend, even licking us on our hands and arms. I named him, Happy, and he seems to be living up to his name. He has a small-ish cage for night time, and we ordered a large playpen for him, but for now, we have blocked off the living room with boxes, and whenever we are out, we let him out as well. I leave his cage open, and he is able to come and go as he pleases. We don't want him living his life in a cage 24/7. I bought several litter boxes for him, and he has only peed outside of the box one time. He does leave little poops around, though.
I hope some people here will have some helpful advice on how to train our new friend. I would love to get him harness trained at some point. Any thoughts or helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone. Nice to meet you!

Latest posts

Back