New rabbit - dealing with sibling jealousy and aggression?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit Rilee for 5.5 years and she's been my only rabbit. She's kind of a brat but friendly to people and likes to be pet.

Today I got a new little baby that I brought home. I didn't have plans to bond them at the moment, since the baby has only just been weaned.

I let Rilee out after getting the baby settled, and she immediately became aggressive. She sniffed the carrier, stomped and ran for baby's cage where she growled and lunged at him through the bars.

Is this expected? What's the best way to deal with this?

I hope this works because I'm on my phone... Here's a picture of the new bunny :)

5392_091128_390000000.jpg

The new one is adorable!!!! Is Rilee spayed because this could help with her aggression if she is not. You should try to keep their cages next to each other for some time each day so they can get used to each other. maybe pet one then pet the other to get their scents mixed.
I hope it works out for you!!!!

Start with the cages/pens in the same room but far apart. Gradually move them closer together each time they show they are comfortable at that distance. Leave the cages/pens not quite side-by-side [no reaching into the other cage/pen possible] until they are each neutered & they seem interested in each other, in a good way.

Thanks! Rilee is spayed and their cages are both in the living room in sight of the other. I had to move the baby's cage to on top of a table so Rilee won't disturb it when she comes out. Rilee has a few stuffed animals and blankets, should I give one to the baby to get his scent on it, then give it back to Rilee? I suddenly just realized the cage I'm using for the baby is actually a cage I've put Rilee in before, mostly on trips because it's somewhat portable. She could be being territorial over "her" cage being used.

Latest posts

Back