New! Need Info on Driving Cross Country with Mini Lop!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oosie923

Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I am new to the boards! I have atwo year old mini lop, Oreo. I am just trying to get some informationbecause I am making a big move at the end of the month. I am planningon moving from PA to CA and I am driving the entire way. I just wantedsome advice on how bunnies do on car rides or even just in a smallspace for countless hours. I will be stopping each night and sleepingat a hotel in which she can roam freely but for however long I driveeach day she will be in her bunny crate. I am not sure if I am going toshock the hell out of her or what! Has anyone brought their bunnies fora car ride? Please any answers would be great I just want a heads up onwhat to expect. Also her best bud, Midori (a cat) will be coming withus so she will have her companion along the way! Thank you everyone!!!:)

Hey oosie923!

I can't offer you much information, because the longest car ride I havegone with my bun is to the vets, and that is only five to ten minutesaway, but have you read our article on Bunny 101?

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15628&forum_id=17

Make sure she has food and water, and take her on a few shorter carrides first to get her used to it. Make sure she is confident and happyin her carrier before taking her in the car. I'm sure many people herewill be able to give you more detailed information. :)

Also ...

Welcome to the forum! :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c41/mikoli1201/Ollie2copy.png

Rachel.

Hi there and welcome!

Rachel gave you some great advice, and that link also has plenty of info.

Just a few things, like she said about taking Oreo for car rides is agreat idea. If you can, take her along on car rides (15 minutes, thenmaybe 30, then an hour). Give her a treat at the end and try to make ita pleasant experience for her. That will get her used to her carrierand the car. If you dont have one, its good to invest in a goodcarrier. You can get a really nice sized one at Walmart for 20-30bucks. If you leave it around when shes playing and let her get used togoing in and out of it that will also help.

A few other things, I wouldnt recommend hanging a water bottle on thecarrier as they often just leak everywhere. But you can give her somegreens that will help hydrate her, like romaine lettuce and parsley.Also, make sure she has food and lots of hay for the trip. That willkeep her GI moving. You can always offer her some water when you stopfor restroom/food breaks etc.

Also, bringing a toy or blanket that smells like home will help on the journey. A few small treats are good too!

Its great that she will have some run time when you stop at night. Alot of people will set up the cage in the bathroom so that if you haveany accidents it easy to clean up and she can still run around.

The only other thing I can think of is to keep noise down in the carand keep the temperature nice for her. Other than that, Im sure she'llbe fine.

Wow that was long! Hope that helps :)

-Haley

We drove 60+ rabbits cross country last year forLionhead Nationals....(Tx to Columbus, OH). It was about a 36 hour tripwith our rest stops?

Make sure to bring bottled water that she is used to (use rinsed out soda bottles or something) and hay.

Many rabbits won't eat during a trip - at least while in car. Some will munch on hay.

We stopped about every 4 hours to check carriers, give water, etc. etc.None of the rabbits really showed any stress from the trip....thenagain, they were sort of young.

Peg

Latest posts

Back