NEW MEMBERS (Feb. 2006 - Jan. 2007) CLOSED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum Orion94nl. I love youravatar picture. How cute!! Wonderful that you work for a shelter. Iwould love to do something like that. It must be so fun!! Well, gladyou could join us!

bunnylover78642 wrote:
Welcome to the forum Blyre. I cant wait for you to gettingtalking around here. Let us know when you get your rabbit. You willfind a lot of information around here. Do you know what breed you wantyet? I breed Mini Rexes. Well, hope you have a great time aroundhere!!
I'm looking forward to that magical day when I move my bunny in...andof course, the less-than-magical days that will sporaticallyfollow...heh.

I feel a little awkward saying this but I know so little about thevarious breeds (other than that there are A LOT) that it may take me avery long time to decide on a breed that will mesh with me and myliving habits.

I'm starting to feel like those people who are about to start a new family...hehe

Blyre

Hi, I'm Abby and I'm Cadbury's mother!
We live in Rochester, NY where I'm going to college but I'm from England and my family is in NJ now.
Cadbury's about a year old, half Dutch bunny.:brownbunny

If anybody uses Facebook, she has an account- search for Cadbury! Ithink she's the only one with that name and there are a lot of otherrabbits on there.

Welcome to the forum Fat Rabbit. Can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful bunnies.

Blyre there is no reason to feel bad. First of all a few facts. You ever heard of the velvet rabbit? Those are rexes.

Like floppy ears? Those are LOPS. They come in different breeds but ifyou have a rabbit the has floppy ears they are called lops.

To look a pictures of the different breeds of rabbit go towww.arba.net There is a link calledBreed Photos and you can take a look at the breeds you like. I hope youfind what you really want there! :)

chris male ( whatever my screen name might suggest i am infact male )
24 from the netherlands
mitzi is unfortunaly passed on yesterday at a mere 7 weeks
ricky has shuffeld of this mortal coil in december last year
and phoebe ( a he ironically )i had to remove because he and mycat could not stand each other ( and tobe honest my 7 year old cathas predence)
and right now i am rabbit less
the only bunny from the pet store i liked was already sold
and i have to wait til nextweek for a new litter
in the mean time il be scouring the internet looking for something suitable
and believe me there is enough of that

knowing me il probably end up with an adopted one and a store one

i have 6 old pics of ricky made last year none of phoebe
and none of mitzi apart from a weekworth of memories capped off by a very nastyset of memories

il look for them ..the pics that is

Hi Chris,

Where exactly do you live in The Netherlands? There are sooooo manyrabbits waiting in shelters there, that I would strongly advise you nottoo buy in a petshop.

Most of the time the youngsters sold in a petshop have been taken awaytoo soon from their mum. They should be at least 8 - 9 weeks old beforethey can be split from their mum, but in the petshops you will mostlyfind rabbits of 6 weeks old. And therefore they are most of the timeweaker and don't have build up any "weerstand" (don't know what theEnglish word is :) ).

I am in NL myself so please get in touch with me so I can see whether I can help you.
Even shelters have young rabbits ! (mostly born there) which are waiting for good homes.

So (in Dutch): koop geen konijn in de winkel maar neem er een uit een shelter. Mail me zodat ik wellicht kan helpen.

Regards,

Marie-Jose

Edit: Link Removed

Blyre wrote:
bunnylover78642 wrote: I feel a little awkward saying this but I know so little aboutthe various breeds (other than that there are A LOT) that it may takeme a very long time to decide on a breed that will mesh with me and myliving habits.

If you want a rabbit that will mesh with you, I highly recommendadopting an adult from a shelter. Rabbits of the same breedcan have very different personalities (just look at my dwarf hototsisters). Also, many baby rabbits change a lot when they hitpuberty, then settle down after spay/neuter and a littletime. You'll have a much easier time finding a rabbit thatreally matches you if it's an adult, especially if the shelter doesspay/neuter.

orion94nl wrote:
Hi Chris,

Where exactly do you live in The Netherlands? There are sooooo manyrabbits waiting in shelters there, that I would strongly advise you nottoo buy in a petshop.

Most of the time the youngsters sold in a petshop have been taken awaytoo soon from their mum. They should be at least 8 - 9 weeks old beforethey can be split from their mum, but in the petshops you will mostlyfind rabbits of 6 weeks old. And therefore they are most of the timeweaker and don't have build up any "weerstand" (don't know what theEnglish word is :) ).

I am in NL myself so please get in touch with me so I can see whether I can help you.
Even shelters have young rabbits ! (mostly born there) which are waiting for good homes.

So (in Dutch): koop geen konijn in de winkel maar neem er een uit een shelter. Mail me zodat ik wellicht kan helpen.

Regards,

Marie-Jose

den haag zuid holland
unfortunaly mitzi was 6weeks old as wel andshe was probably too young to begin with
such a shame i would have loved to see her grow upto be a healthy young girl
regardless i want to give it another shot
and prefer young rabbits not because idont like the olderones but because i dont want them i justfeel that some of them need better care then i canprovide as of yet ( who knowswhat they went through ?let alone the complicationsthey might have and ho wmessed up they are thanksto a bloody kid )
so instead i want a young one because then iknow exactly what happend to the rabbit every stepof the way

i was recommended tohttp://www.bunnybin.nland even though i am tempted with at least 4 ofthem
the problem is that they are a 90 min train ride away
90 min to and 90 min fro 3 hours
now i am prepared to sit 3 hours an train for a rabbit
but i dont think havinga rabbit sit 90 minutes in a train is a good idea
especially not a shelter bunny who went through who knows what ?
and i might end up traumatising th epoor animal even more sonot a good idea and i need to find one close athome

then again lila charlotte taffle toodle tumble andizzy just make me want to get that darn trainalready>>http://www.bunnybin.nl/index.html

oh and the word you ar elooking for is resiliance

Hi Chris,

Well.... why don't you give it a try at Het Knagertje. It is located inDen Haag. Here is the link:http://www.knaagdierenopvang.nl/

They have about 20 rabbits for adoption at the moment (with pictures)

Or

Het Knabbeltuintje, eveneens in Den Haag:http://www.knabbeltuintje.nl/index.htm

With regard to your underneath quote:

regardless i want to give it another shot and prefer youngrabbits not because i dont like the olderones but because i dont wantthem i just feel that some of them need better care then i can provideas of yet ( who knows what they went through ?let alone thecomplications they might have and ho wmessed up they are thanks to abloody kid ) so instead i want a young one because then i know exactlywhat happend to the rabbit every step of the way

I do some volunteering in a rabbit shelter myself and from ownexperience I can tell you that most rabbits in a shelter do not havecomplications or went through ordeals. Most of them are brought to theshelter as their ' owners' got "allergic" to it or don't haveany time left anymore to pay attention to the pet. And not many aremessed up. A wrong way of thinking here, really! All pets in a shelterdeserve a second chance.... most of the time it is not their fault theyend up at the shelter.

Let me tell you: I myself bought, unaware of rabbit shelters at thattime, a young rabbit in a petshop. An adorable littlecutie............mayby 7 weeks old. It became immediate friends withour other rabbit (the black & tan Happy), he is allowed to runfree in the house when we are there, he has a huge cage, he has afriend, well..... you name it and he has got it all.
But despite that... he is not that sociable as Happy (which we got at 6months old); he is afraid of strangers, footsteps, will attackunexpectedly, destroys our carpets, etc. etc.
Happy, we got when he was 6 months old, is friendly, curious, can be petted, will never attack. etc.

The fact is that for a young bunny you can never predict its character(it can become a sweetheart, but also the other way around). From anadult bunny (> 6 months and older) the character is known andespecially in shelters they know how their bunnies are.

Please reconsider buying a pet in a petshop. And can't you find someonewho is willing to drive you to Bunnybin? Should not be that too big ofa trouble, I think.

regards,

MJ

Edit: Link Removed

It's also not unusual to find babies in ashelter. Many people dump pregnant mothers or new moms withtheir kits.:? They show up with some regularity in theshelters in my area.

naturestee wrote:
Blyre wrote:
bunnylover78642 wrote:I feel a little awkward saying this but I know solittle about the various breeds (other than that there are A LOT) thatit may take me a very long time to decide on a breed that will meshwith me and my living habits.

If you want a rabbit that will mesh with you, I highly recommendadopting an adult from a shelter. Rabbits of the same breedcan have very different personalities (just look at my dwarf hototsisters). Also, many baby rabbits change a lot when they hitpuberty, then settle down after spay/neuter and a littletime. You'll have a much easier time finding a rabbit thatreally matches you if it's an adult, especially if the shelter doesspay/neuter.

I actually was indirectly expressing some nervousness at taking on theresponsibility of a new bunny. But the more I mull it over, the morecomfortable I am with taking on the task. I'm currently incommunication with a local breeder who breeds mini-rexes and willhopefully have one home before I go in for knee surgery on Tuesday.

I have everything ready for the big bunny move-in....except the bunny.....hehe

Blyre

Hello, all. My name is Megan and Ilive in Oklahoma. I have always had pets, but I have neverowned rabbits. I have 4 dogs and two cats, and started out owning 2female gerbils. They passed away after 3 years and I was notall that impressed by them, anyway. About 3 months ago, Istarted looking around at guineapigs. I realized that mostguineapigs were outrageously high at most pet stores. I wentto the local co-op and the manager told me about some rabbits he hadfor sale in Coweta for $6.00. So, much to my mother's dismay,I came home with a white and tan dutch male, Humphrey. 2months later, I added another little man to my family, Howard, who is awhite and silver broken pattern holland. He isn't a lop,though his ears are long and tend to lop half way over when he's reallycurious and peeking out of his wabitat. Howard and Humphreyhave completely two different personalities, but I love them both thesame.

I will post pictures of my babies in a couple of days.

Megan

:wave:Hello and welcome to the forum,your bunnies sound gorgeous,cannot wait to hear more about them :)

feel free to make a thread for all your bunnies pictures in the blog section :)

cheryl

Hi, my name is Christa. We adopted our bunnyyesterday, his name is Beans. Not quite sure what kind he is... ifanyone can tell by looking at him, or advise me on some possiblites itwould be great. Far as I know he is part English Lop, part Dwarf. But Iwas told by a different worker at the pet store that she thinks he is aNetherland Dwarf. So, I'm not quite sure, and this is my first bunny soI don't know how to tell.

Hi Christa!! Welcome to the forum! :welcome

I'm no expert, but I think it's pretty obvious that neither is your pet store!

Looks like you have a Holland,Fuzzyor Mini-Lopthere. Hollands are small, they'll only be 3 lbs or so, theAmerican Fuzzies are similar except their fuzzy, and the Mini's(believe it or not) are the bigger breed, I think they're like 5 or 6lbs.

So the question is, how old is he and how much does he weigh?

Offhand I'd say you'd better check here for diet and other carerecommendations, I really don't trust that pet store! (Justmake sure you start off feeding him what they were feeding him before,and change it gradually).

And don'tcount on him absolutelybeing a boy,either. :rollseyes:Even the good pet stores can getthat one wrong on young bunnies.

sas :)pipp :bunnydance:dill :brownbunnydarry and radar :toastingbunsand sherry :bunny24

Hi! My name is Denise. My husband and I just brought home an 8 week old female mini-lop we named Trix. We call her Trixie.

I am so glad I found this forum! I want to give little Trix the best care possible and want her to live a long, healthy life.

I just got her last Wednesday and I am so attached already! I had afemale rabbit named Daisy (silver marten) that died 6 yrs ago ofpertonitis, despite me having taken her to the vet several times. Thevet was not rabbit-savvy and kept telling me she was overweight. If Ionly had the resources than that I have now. Things have changed somuch since then. There is A LOT more info on the internet than thereused to be. I actually made an appointment with Dr. Jennifer Saver inNew Hyde Park (Long Island) for Saturday to make sure Trixie has aclean bill of health...and that Trixie is a she and not a he!

I have a question: How do you get your rabbit to allow you to inspecther? I tried to sex her myself to make sure she was a girl and shesquirmed so much I got scared she would break her back! So I let itgo...but Daisy was so calm she let me do anything!

Regards,
Denise

:Canada:Hello, everyone!

This is SparklingEyes from Canada. I am working ondeveloping mini plush lops, so I keep holland lops and mini rex. I havesome beautiful crosses but no fully lopped rex furred bunnies. Mynewest doe is a tricolor friendly cross named Sparkling Eyes(yearling)and her Siamese colored mate's name is Chief(yearling). Ialso own a steel coloured mini lop named Pepsi (5 yearsold)and a beautiful wild black and white mini rex namedTia(3).Bunny raising is just acasual hobby so I amnot really a breeder, and all my bunnies are pets. I alsoraise chickens, cattle, and pigs.:bunnydance:

Looking forward to getting to know this site and meeting you all!

SparklingEyes

hey all my name is donna andim from new hampshire usa....i am the proud mommy of 4buns 2 pure bred flemish and 1 rex and 1floppy....nice to meet all of u hope to be able to chat andmeet u personally

Flemish mom

Latest posts

Back