NEW MEMBERS (CLOSED)....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue wrote:
Iguess I am wondering why you shouldn't breed them? I agree that now istoo early, but when they are age appropriate, mating, pregnancy, andbirth is a natural process, unless you are not committed to eitherraising several bunnies or finding loving homes for the kits when thatis age appropriate. Of course more than one litter seems demanding of adoe's body, and unecessary to me, and neutering does prevent certaincancers and bad behaviors, the former which can be obviously lifethreatening, and the latter of which can be very annoying to us humans!I haven't read other posts on this topic in this forum, but I thinksometimes we animal lovers and rescuers can get politics confused withthe natural cycle of life. Breeding bunnies is a HUGE responsibility,and as a volunteer with different rescue organizations I definitelylean towards adoption of those who need homes as opposed to buying bredbunnies, but, babies can also be a gift to a doe who is ready to have afamily. Funny how we humans...in an effort to be compassionate can losesight of an animal's natural "rights" so to speak. Wouldn't we fight anentity telling us we are not allowed to chose to have a family of ourown? Of course one could argue that our planet is overpopulated byhumans...and bunnies are not hard to find either! But that is why weall need to "breed" responsibly! He he...I am now picturing bunnieswearing protection.....

Just something to think about...not having read the aforementioned posts....

I don’t agree with that. I am a breeder and I breed purebred andpedigreed Holland Lops. I dont think that breeding mixed breed bunniesis a good idea. A first time doe could have tons of problems when shekindles, such as a stuck baby (which might require a vets service whichcan be costly), or she could eat them/kill them, how many owners wouldwant to see that? Or their doe could be like mine and have them allover the floor of the cage and now I have to feed them myself everyday,twice a day, it takes almost 1 and a half hours sometimes, people haveto be willing to give up that kinda of time, and most people don’t evenknow that could happen, they all think that their doe would be a goodmother. I mean it is hard enough finding home for purebred Hollandsforget a mixed breed bunny. I think that if you are going to breedresponsibly you should do TONS of reading about breeding, I mean doresearch for months, and even after you have researched a ton you stillwont be ready for all the problems that could happen.

~Amy

Lillie wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm new.
Hi Lillie, welcome to the forum....:)

There are a lot of other members here that joined here from the other forum (RV) too.

How long have you had Honey? Do you have any other pets?

Rainbows! :)

So how come bunnies can mate mom to son, sisterto bro daughter to father and not have inbreeding problems that mostother species have? Do they have an exceptionally large genepool? Even though Dave and Lavender are the same minilopbreed (litter mates in fact) I don't think I would breed them becuasea) Lavender has not said, "Mom, can I have some babies now(note: she is only 7 weeks, but still) b) too muchresponsibility and I'm am willing to admit that, no problem.I bred hamsters and rats when I was younger, but bunnies seem to be awhole different ball game. Also, don't I have to wait forDave's balls to drop before I can neuter him?

:)Hello there! I am new! My name is Jan. I am going to have to join this forum all overagian, in order to chat in the chatroom, right? Idont know how to enter the chatroom, i can never quite load up on mycomputer and i have 56k ! I was luvpenpal2,now i had to change my screen name to[email protected]., cause I wascancelled off aol due to a money order mix up! (itsalright they realized thiere error and is giving me three free months,)but nowI have tocontact everyone!I am abunny owner!\I have the mommy(half dwarf and half dutchrabbbit), daddy (pure dwarf)and baby which is 9 weeks old already~ Ireally must update my photos of her, but her name is lil chipper!

:)Hello there! I am new! My name is Jan. I am going to have to join this forum all overagian, in order to chat in the chatroom, right? Idont know how to enter the chatroom, i can never quite load up on mycomputer and i have 56k ! I was luvpenpal2,now i had to change my screen name to[email protected]., cause I wascancelled off aol due to a money order mix up! (itsalright they realized thiere error and is giving me three free months,)but nowI have tocontact everyone!I am abunny owner!\I have the mommy(half dwarf and half dutchrabbbit), daddy (pure dwarf)and baby which is 9 weeks old already~ Ireally must update my photos of her, but her name is lil chipper!

dear luvmyali,

Hello there!I am also acomputer dinasaur ! I think , if uhave pics insideof a pc cam or ibm cam, u just push browse and then the file will popup under the file name and just clcik onOPEN ! It shoudl work, however, I am still trying to figureout all this stuff! aahahalol!

Jan as [email protected]

dont forget to write me! my dwarf bunny is 2 months and one week old! her name is lil chipper!

:)dear luvmyali,

Hello there!I am also acomputer dinasaur ! I think , if uhave pics insideof a pc cam or ibm cam, u just push browse and then the file will popup under the file name and just clcik onOPEN ! It shoudl work, however, I am still trying to figureout all this stuff! aahahalol!

Jan as [email protected]

dont forget to write me! my dwarf bunny is 2 months and one week old! her name is lil chipper!

Hello there! Just wanted to tellu, ithink that the scortums must drop before u canneuter the males?i plan to mate the daughter and father whenshe is a year old , but only then! I dont know when to take him awayfrom the brew cause he is already looking at her funny andchasing her! i always have to take him out of therunning area that i have for them in my house! SO iwatch and make sure they dont mate or anything, not till sheis A YEAROLD wont be till "Valentines day" of next year,2006! want to see my rabbits? mom and dad and baby., write meiw illsend u pics its easier!

fromJanice sending pic of the mommy bugsy

[email protected]

Hi Amy,

I'm not wanting to have a weird debate or anything, but I truly amuncertain about what part of what I said you disagree with. Is it thatI am more apt to adopt, that responsible breeding is ok, or that birthis a natural process?

Actually, I agree that the odd responses some Does seem to have postbirth would be very alarming. I would personally not be able to copewith that as sensitive as I am. However, that is part of the (spooky)natural process sometimes. Also there are a lot of healthy births.Breeding mixed breeds has nothing to do with those percentages however.I would argue against "pure breds" as sometimes the lines are too closegenetically for healthy kits. But that is more of a personal opinion.Are you saying that a breeder has the time, resources and experienceand therefore emotionality to better cope with pregnancy? That isprobably true. And breeders are in the business of making profit...sotypically they have pure breeds as opposed to mixed? Because anyonecould buy two bunnies of the same breed and breed them.

I do caution people to research a lot before going forward withbreeding their pet bunny. It is definitely not for the faint hearted!

Of course...there are lots of bunnies who need homes too, and I always propose that above other means for expanding your family.

Again, just curious about which part you didn't agree with.

Hi, this is my first post here. I live in Xi'an,China and teach English at a small Chinese university. I've been inChina for 6 1/2 years. My home is Arkansas, USA. As a kid we had catsand hamsters. I've never had a pet of my own in my adult life (I'm 44),but recently I felt like I wanted a pet. Two weeks ago I took twostudents with me to help me buy a pet. I bought a little white bunny,with red eyes. Before and after buying her I did some reading onlineabout bunny care, which is how I found this forum. With help from mystudents, I named my rabbit Qingqing, short for Qinghai. If you look ata map of China, Qinghai province in the west looks like a rabbit! Mystudents think it's a great name for her. The seller said she was twomonths old. At this point I am feeding her only vegetables. I don'tknow if there is rabbit food in China. I also haven't looked around fora source of hay or straw. There is grass and dandelions outside myapartment, so I'm thinking I should pull up some of that for her toeat, too, but I haven't done it yet. Qingqing is still quite scared ofme, though I try to hold her for a short time every day, soothing her.I let her run around for about an hour a day in my apartment, though Ioften limit her to the kitchen where she can't do any damage (I hope).I know I have a lot to learn about bunny care. I look forward tolearning more from the people on this forum.

If I may, I 'd like to ask a question here. What do rabbits look likewhen they sleep? I have seen her asleep sitting up, with her earsrelaxed. Today, for the first time, I saw her stretched out on thefloor of her cage. I thought she was dead, because I had never seen herthat way! When I walked in, she got up and stated eating. Later she waslaying down again. It's noontime in China, as I write. Is she gettingcomfortable with her cage, is that why she's laying down? Or does sheneed more exercise? I'm just wondering why I haven't seen her layingdown before. Even at night I have seen her sitting up.

Sorry so long! Thanks for reading.

Nancy in China

ChinaBun wrote:
Hi, this is my first post here.
Hi Nancy,

Glad you could join us! It's almost 11:30pm here in Edmonton. I havemy firstpetbunny in my adult life too. I was born in the yearof the Rooster. :D

Pebbles is my bunny. She is an agouti coloured NetherlandDwarf, 8 months old. We feed herunlimited Timothy Hay and 1/8cup of pellets a day. In themorning she gets some vegs, and at night she gets a bowl ofvegs. For treats she gets a few pieces of fruit.

What did the seller feed Qingqing before you gother? Maybe they have a source where you could getyour food from. I don't know what the diet is likefor rabbits in China. But fiber is important forrabbits.

Pebbles sleeps mostly in a sitting position. Her eyesrarely close. When she lays down, she isvery happy and content. This usually happens after she eats.

Check out this thread for more information for your rabbit.....

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=3005&forum_id=1

Thank you Pet_Bunny for the welcome. i've hadHoney since feb 17th i think. I just love her. She has a bit of aproblem with being picked up. Something tells me that someone hasdropped her before. She seems to be afraid of heights. I'm working withher though and trying to correct the problem. But other than that, sheis very loveable. She will take all the petting you can give her.

She does have one big problem in my opinion that i can't seem to breakher from. She tries to eat just about everything she comes into contactwith. She loves to chew but will eat some of what she is chewing.

Do you think she will outgrow that? The things she's chewingon are hers and i don't mind her chewing her things, but i don't wanther eating this stuff. She has her own sheet, baby blanket, pillow,cardboard box, newspapers and toys. I just wish she wouldn't try to eatthe sheet, baby blanket, pillow and toys.

Oh and i also have 2 cockatiels and a canary now. They all are alot of company to me.

Glad to see that i'm not the only newbie here. Hi everyone.

hello im new. i have a netherland dwarf, and he'smy avator. :)im from singapore but am currently on studentexchange in brussels. got my bunny here. his name is liegey (namedafter the place we got him at - Liege) but we're used to calling himboy boy. hehe. actually we're not even sure if he's a boy or not

Lillie wrote:
Thank you Pet_Bunny for the welcome. i've had Honey since feb 17th
I had Pebbles since November 23 / 04. She was alsonervous whenwe first started picking her up. Butnow it's no problem. Being a NetherlandDwarf, I can grasp her firmly with twohands when I pick her up, and then I hold her closeto my body letting her sit on my arm. Ifshe doesn't feel secure, I would cup my hand over her headand over her eyes, so she doesn't see the height.

For chewing things, I think Honey will grow out ofit. Right now they are like any babies that have to puteverything into their mouths. Soon they will figure whattheir favorite chews are and leave the restalone. Just keep an eye on them fornow. Pebbles really likes her cardboard tube forchewing and digging.

Some members here have many rabbits and animals. I just have Pebbles for now. :D

princess kristin wrote:
hello im new. i have a netherland dwarf, and he's my avator.:)
Welcome Princess Kristin to the forum!

I have a Netherland Dwarf too. Liege looks so cutein your avator! How old is he /she? lol :D

Hello all!

I'm Gem, just 17 (18 in May) and I live in the UK.

I have 10 buns, a guinea pig, a couple of cats, a dog, 2 rats, a goldfishand a mouse.

Hope to get to know some of you soon!

Gem x :dude:

Latest posts

Back