NEW MEMBERS (CLOSED)....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I am new here and new to rabbitparenting! I think this is a great resource and look forwardto having people to get input from!!!

Thank you

Hi everybody,

Hi hope this works - I read the help section but am worried it'll post in the wrong place.

Just to say, I'm newly registered but I've been reading this forum fora few weeks. I have two beautiful lionhead bunnies adopted from arescue shelter I volunteer at in London and although I've always hadbunnies I've never had rescue bunnies before andreadingeverybody's postshas been really helpful. Iwouldn't say my new babies have totally bonded with me yet (still havea way to go) but thanksyou,we've made goodprogress.

Like I say, I've been reading for a while. I'm really impressed and I want in!:)

xx

Hi Ali and Angel

Welcome to the forum.

I would say im still a newbie. I joined last month. It is great here.So many great peeps. I have found here to be a great source ofinformation. HAVE FUN !!!!

P.S. When do we get to see pics?

PPS Hows the weather? Im coming home to the UK for the weekend.

Hi Zee,

Thanks for the welcome - the bunnies and I appreciate it. They're stilla little shy so haven't been able to venture close enough with theflash camera to get a good pic yet.

The weather? Hmmm would like to say beautiful but over the last coupleof days the april showers semm to have merged into one. Hopefully it'llpick up for you by the weekend!

Rose x

P.S Your bunnieslook sooocuuute! What are their names?

Blue wrote:
Hi,

I am a new member. I am not new to bunnies. I was on rabbit village andreally loved it and it disappeared. I miss my old friends. I am excitedabout making new ones!
Blue

Hi Blue! Was you name in Rabbit Village 'Blue' by any chance? lol, ifso I remember you. I also miss Rabbit Village, pity it is gone..However this forum is just as great... if not more! ;)

Walking Mushroom!

Hi, I'm a brand new member.I'm a bunny slave to six bunnies - all rescue rabbits through myvolunteer work at a local county shelter.

There's Gilbert whose picture is my avitar. He's a "mutt"French Angora who absolutely HATES being groomed. Not a goodmix so it's a battle every week. I found him at a vets officewaiting to be shaved since he was nothing but matts. Poor guywas very unhappy. He still gets grouchy but loves his pets.

Before him, I adopted (or is it the other way around?) Diana a/k/a BigBuns. She's a black standard rabbit who's about 10lbs. She loves her pellets! She's a very good bunny- doesn't mind being picked up as long as she can hop aroundafterwards. I took her out of the shelter since she wasgetting cage protective and not very adoptable. She justneeded to be housed in a pen, not a cage.

In the spare bedroom in a big pen is Darla and Peter. Darla,a brownDutch mix,was so scare at the shelter thatshe was biting everyone. I took her, loved her and althoughshe's still pretty neurotic, she hasn't bit anyone since leaving theshelter.

Her "hubby", Peter, a NZ white, also came from the shelter. He's a big sweety and very, very patient w/Darla.

On the other side of the fence from Darla and Peter is another penw/Buckley and Toez. Buckley is a brown mini-Rex and Toez is ablack angora mix. Both bunnies are rescue bunnies and bothdon't like people very much. I'm their caretaker andfoodgiver and that's it!

We also have 2 dogs, 8 birds and numerous salt-water fish and seahorses. No kids but lots of life in our house!!

I'll try and post pix of the rest of the bunnies later.

Patricia & crew

Hi patibuns,

A big hello from one new member to another.

Enjoyed reading about the bunnies who own you - all those animals mustkeep you very busy. I think its a hazard of volunteering at rescues -So far I've found myself taking home 4 cats and 2 lionheadrabbitsand were it not for my very limited funds and livingspace I'm sure the stalk would be bringing me more.

Keep posting - I think this newbie thread is a great idea - we can all get to know each other whilst we're learning the ropes.

So hello to all either side of this post! :dude:

Rose

HI. Brand spankin' new to allthis. Two new 6-week old minilops. Boy and girl,had hopes to breed once before we neutered Dave Mattews but afterreading several posts on why I really shouldn't there's no way I wantto. However, my buns are probably 7 weeks now and I caughtthem in a love dance on video cammera! I do plan on neuteringDave, but it'll cost around $150. When is the best time toneuter him. Do I have time, should I be worried.Lavender, my girl, was the one initiating and she was also losing hairlike mad. They're so young! Any suggestions wouldbe very welcomed. Also my bunnies seem to get along greatwith the cats, they all chase each other and such, is rough housing okfor the buns (the cats are declawed and the bunnies seem to chase thecats just as much). Thank you all! Naomi

Are the male and female in the same cage?If so they need to be seperated because the girl could get pregnantvery soon and there could be severe medical problems that could occur,if she does get pregnant.

:)

~Amy

But they're babies, and we just built the onehutch. She can get pregnant at 1 1/2 months? Whatkind of prego problems? When is too soon to neuter?If she were suddenly pregnant could Dave still be with her?thanks for your response Amy. Naomi

Davemattewsbunny wrote:
But they're babies, and we just built the one hutch. She can get pregnant at 1 1/2 months?

Rabbits can get pregnant as early at 12 weeks.

What kind of prego problems?

If the female is bred with a larger buck the babies couldget stuck when she is giving birth, she will go through a lot of stresswhich could kill her, she may be scared of the babies and eat them orkill them, the list goes on and on.

When is too soon to neuter?

Rabbits should be neutered around 4-6 months old

If she were suddenly pregnant could Dave still be with her?

No, the male would kill the babies. Usually males andfemales are not kept together unless they are neutered/spayed, thereare just too many problems and risks

:) Hope this helped

~Amy

P.S. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :D

I guess I am wondering why you shouldn't breedthem? I agree that now is too early, but when they are age appropriate,mating, pregnancy, and birth is a natural process, unless you are notcommitted to either raising several bunnies or finding loving homes forthe kits when that is age appropriate. Of course more than one litterseems demanding of a doe's body, and unecessary to me, and neuteringdoes prevent certain cancers and bad behaviors, the former which can beobviously life threatening, and the latter of which can be veryannoying to us humans! I haven't read other posts on this topic in thisforum, but I think sometimes we animal lovers and rescuers can getpolitics confused with the natural cycle of life. Breeding bunnies is aHUGE responsibility, and as a volunteer with different rescueorganizations I definitely lean towards adoption of those who needhomes as opposed to buying bred bunnies, but, babies can also be a giftto a doe who is ready to have a family. Funny how we humans...in aneffort to be compassionate can lose sight of an animal's natural"rights" so to speak. Wouldn't we fight an entity telling us we are notallowed to chose to have a family of our own? Of course one could arguethat our planet is overpopulated by humans...and bunnies are not hardto find either! But that is why we all need to "breed" responsibly! Hehe...I am now picturing bunnies wearing protection.....

Just something to think about...not having read the aforementioned posts....

Blue-

sorry ifthis isa n(ew)sance,

You have just expressed something that I always find a tricky battle ofethics. On the one hand, I am all for the philosophy of neuter clinicsand adoption over petshop/breeding but also, I agree that doneresponsibly, it is nature working as it should. In promoting animalrights are we limiting animal rights.But then I wonder again,if we hadn't bred bunnies (and other pets) so irresponsibly in thepast, there wouldn't be any unwanted, suffering bunnies. In fact, hadwe never decided to keep 'pets' in the first place, many species wouldbe extinct or controlled by nature in the wild. Having created a pet'explosion' is it now our job to look after the ones that are alreadyhere before breeding more. Its sooo difficult - I'm still not sure howI feel so I'm not comdemning anyone for breeding (responsiblyobviously) andI love baby bunnies with all my heart. Idunno...........

Rose

Rose,
that was very well said. It doesn't really sound any different a stance than mine...

I think there are so many ways of looking at this issue.

:)

I look forward to more open discussions with you in the future.

Hi everyone. I'm new.

I've been visiting the forum and i like what i see.I have a 4month old dwarf-mini lop. I call her honey. She is gray and is lots offun. I'm glad i found this forum because the other forum i had justjoined is not there anymore. I was with rabbit village. I don't knowwhat happened to the site but thank goodness i found this one.

Please excuse me if i don't use capital letters, sometimes i forget touse them. Sometimes i may not use proper language, i'm really bad aboutsaying the word ain't. I'm from alabama and i guess i'm just used tosouthern talking.

Latest posts

Back