New cage, can't figure it out..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CantDutchThis

Reaction score
So, I've upgraded my rabbit to a new house. It has two shelves (levels) for him to jump up. He has managed to get up to the top level, but can't seem to figure out how to get down.. and is going to the bathroom up there (not in his box,grr)and if he does he flings himself off the third level right to the bottom.. and skips the second shelf:panic:

The shelves are thin wire, but I've put rubber mats on them so he has grip and doesn't get his little toes stuck. I'm attaching a picture (mats haven't been placed yet, or his food/water etc and I moved his little wooden hut to the bottom but I just took the shot when I stuck him in there when I was setting up.

How long did it take your bun to figure the shelves out, if you have them? Any recommendations?

stewdigs copy.jpg

Also, in addition to what Orlena said maybe put a brighter colored blanket on the shelves as sometimes I wonder if the color black makes it hard for bunny to judge distance and therefore they aren't sure how far the shelf below them is and it makes them hesitant to jump.

I would suggest making it so that he has to go from the top level to the middle one to get to the bottom. This is safer so he can't fall down too far. You could make the top level bigger or move it so that is goes the same way as the lower one.

i highly recommend you remove the top shelf for now. Get him going back in his litter box.

In the meantime scour the top shelf well to remove any trace of litter odour from it. The I'd move the top shelf to the opposite side if you can. He's a big enough rabbit to be able to span the gap quite nicely without issue. It's a more natural jump for him as well then to go up. Rabbits often like jumping across.

Latest posts

Back