New bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maidance

Reaction score
Hi all! It's the owner of the lovely mini rex Natsu here! And I have gotten a new addition to my family! A Dutch that was placed with a bullying white bunny in a small cage a few months ago was still at the pet store when I went there today. The white bunny had been adopted but the Dutch looked miserable!! His ears had clears been bitten enough to take a lot of hair and some skin off! And his nails were long enough to curl around each other! I know you're not supposed to buy from pet stores but this bun was calling out to me! He is now in a makeshift cage out of an x-pen I had laying around. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393808447.653724.jpg you can sort of see his ears and nails. His back nails are brown so they were a bit hard to cut but I have done it! (Although it took a long time and lots of treats) he also panics if anyone touches his ears so they probably hurt him. I'm not sure what to do about that. He will be neutered soon (probably at the same time natsu is spayed). He's very sweet. He loves pets and always comes up to you and nudges you to pet him. He also followed me around the room when I let him out, which took natsu months to be comfortable enough to do! Any tips on dealing with this new bun will be welcomed!

Here is natsu and his cages right now. I'll make an nic condo when they're bonded and by then it will be warm so the hutch will go outside. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393808835.193634.jpg

Aw poor boy! Time will hopefully heal his wounds emotionally and physically. So happy he found a good home. There is a special place for people who allow animals to be in pain.

Aw poor boy! Time will hopefully heal his wounds emotionally and physically. So happy he found a good home. There is a special place for people who allow animals to be in pain.
Especially the ones who know they're causing pain :mad: and to such a sweet natured bun! He uses the litter box more than natsu does! He's such a good boy

You didn't buy him form a pet store, you rescued him from uncaring jackasses. So glad he's got a good forever home now.

Thank you for the reassurance. I'm very glad I found him! I've been thinking about getting a bun forever, so I already had a lot of extra toys and such. He's also a lot more willing to put up with cuddles than natsu is ;) I'll updates with pictures as his ears get better

All these sad posts about caring people like you having to buy abused bunnies from bad petstores! If it were me I'd just grab the bunny and ruuunnnnnnn.

I'm so glad you saved him though, poor bubby.

Oh bless his little heart. I can't even fathom how a pet store could just sit by and let that kind of thing happen and their animals get injured and mistreated so blatantly.

He looks like a real sweetheart. Dutch are stunning rabbits. I'm not sure what to do about his ears, but when you make an appointment to have him neutered you could have the vet look at them and maybe apply something then.

Yes thank you Azerane. I figured that's what I would have to do. While I'm there I should probably have the vet trim his nails a little more professionally than what I did. Mom says we can probably go next weekend, which is a bit longer than I would have liked but I'm happy it's going to be done

Hi guys! Unimportant update because I like talking about my bunnies. Also I think I forgot to mention I have named him Fuyu? Well this morning I came in and Fuyu (and Natsu) we're very happy to see me. Fuyu had stacked all his toys into his food bowl (which was really funny) and he had eaten all his hay! This was really exciting for me because Natsu doesn't eat a lot of hay no matter what type it is (I've tried them all) so I went to pet him and he licked my hand! It's unbelievable how sweet he is. He was also bouncing around a lot more than he was yesterday which made me happy.

Sadly every time I go to a pet store I see rabbits and it breaks my heart to see them in aquarium tanks. It's hot, it smells and I always just want to take at least one home, but because I have 4 the boyfriend says heck no! Glad you got the poor fella.

Awwww.. I feel so sorry for him his ears look so bad. How in the world could the pet store just sit and not do anything after seeing all that abuse from the other rabbit. I don't blame you. I'd grab him from the pet store also! You rescued him and saved him from a horrible life and for that you should be commended! You did a great job! The fact that he's following you around and licking you already shows what kind of temperment he has, a great one!
It's a good thing the other goofball bunny got adopted. He might wind up with NO EAR from how chewed up they are. That is just so horrible how they neglected him but he does not have to worry about that any more! He has you now!!!!!

That was so cute about him piling his toys up! You need to take some more pictures and also see if the vet can do anything about his ears!

Congrats! You look like you got a great bunny and the both of you are going to have a great life together! I'm so glad you got him!!!

Vanessa

You are going to have to be patient with this little guy... he's been though some really tough times. Just remember that and I think it's all going to work out great!

Vanessa

Awwww.. I feel so sorry for him his ears look so bad. How in the world could the pet store just sit and not do anything after seeing all that abuse from the other rabbit. I don't blame you. I'd grab him from the pet store also! You rescued him and saved him from a horrible life and for that you should be commended! You did a great job! The fact that he's following you around and licking you already shows what kind of temperment he has, a great one!
It's a good thing the other goofball bunny got adopted. He might wind up with NO EAR from how chewed up they are. That is just so horrible how they neglected him but he does not have to worry about that any more! He has you now!!!!!

That was so cute about him piling his toys up! You need to take some more pictures and also see if the vet can do anything about his ears!

Congrats! You look like you got a great bunny and the both of you are going to have a great life together! I'm so glad you got him!!!

Vanessa

Thank you for the advice! Yes the pet store guy said his ears looked worse before :( I'll take pictures as soon as I get home! (In about 8 hours) I did see him grooming himself this morning and he was cleaning his ears so I hope that means they're not hurting him too badly. He doesn't seem to like treats? I tried giving him fruit and veggies and he just put them in him food bowl (which I guess he considers as storage) and continued eating his hay. He does thump a bit when Natsu moves to loudly, which causes her to thump which sets of a long while of thumping. Now I can't wait to get home!!! I'll take loads of pictures I promise!!

Pictures! I let him about in my bathroom while I took a bath (there aren't any wires so it's a good place for bunnies) so I couldn't get very many pics but I'll show you what I got (no I wasn't in the bath when I took them)ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393899651.607505.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393899688.917539.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393899740.067309.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393899778.665530.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393899815.186099.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393899840.763220.jpg
I didn't think to take pictures but when I got home he had put all of his toys in his wood house <3 he chins EVERYTHING and he seems to be spraying a lot which is new for me, but not really unexpected. My 8 year old neighbor came over today and he was very good about letting her hold him and didn't scratch at all (she didn't hold him very long before I put him back though) that's all for now!

What a sweet little guy! (I'm partial to Dutches lol) I can't believe they let him sit there with those ears and nails and didn't do anything about it!

I consider it a rescue, too.

Latest posts

Back