New bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few things that I would like to say (and I will be brief because although I'm a mod I'm also involved in rescuing bunnies so my opinion will differ from most people in the Rabbitry) on what makes a breeder a "responsible" breeder:

Occasionally, there will be difficulties with delivering the babies. It may require an emergency trip to the vet to save the kits and/or the mother's life. This would be like an emergency c-section in humans. It is expensive, and may still lead to you losing the mom. For this reason we really don't recommend that anyone breeds a bunny they are attached to on a pet owner level. Breeding a pet is considered "irresponsible."

Occasionally, there will be difficulties with the mother's milk coming in. There are very few reliable supplements you can feed the babies to allow them to develop normally. Most milk replacers aren't proper for rabbits. For this reason, most responsible breeders will breed at least two does at once so that if one's milk does not come in properly, her babies can be fostered to another doe.

Depending on the breed, deformed kits can occur. Some rabbit genes can be lethal if the rabbit gets two copies of them. Lionheads, I believe are one of the breeds that carries some of these potentially lethal genes. The kits that are born deformed can suffer greatly and should be humanely euthanized. It can be heartbreaking. Responsible breeders have a plan for this.

Kits are more susceptible to some illnesses that require emergency vet care. They can literally die in hours if vet care is not received. Emergency vet care is expensive. Responsible breeders either have vet supplies on hand and know how to use them, or have money set aside for vet care.

Finally, there are thousands of bunnies that are in shelters and already need homes. Many look just like your two and have wonderful personalities. Every year, rabbits are euthanized because there aren't enough homes for them. A lot of the bunnies that come into the shelter I help at were from a backyard breeder's litter, where the breeder stopped having room for the bunnies, or the people they sold/gave the bunnies to stopped being interested in them. A responsible breeder commits to taking care of all of their rabbits for their natural lifespan, and if someone buys a rabbit from them and no longer wants it, they will take it back. This means 10+ years of commitment for every single rabbit. I don't even know what region of the country I'll be living in 10 years from now.

Finally, a responsible breeder does not breed to make good pets. There are plenty of rabbits already out there that need homes that will make wonderful pets, as I mentioned above. They breed to create animals that take their breeds to a new standard of beauty. Along this process, animals that are not show-quality will be made, and they make fine pets. However, the purpose is not to produce these pets.

People who breed without fitting these characteristics are not considered responsible, and thus we call them "backyard breeders."

Whether or not a rabbit has been socialized can have a lot to do with how a rabbit reacts to people but temperament does tend to be genetic.
That's too bad. I thought that they were recognized because of all of the people down here at the rabbit shows that seem to be showing them. Are they showing them under the working standard and just not putting them on the Best in Show and Best Opposite in Show table?

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

I am currently researching the lionhead breed as it is the one I plan to work with when I start my rabbitry and this is what I found on the lionhead website. hope that helps

LIONHEAD RABBITS can be shown at ARBA rabbit shows as an exhibition breed. They can be shown under the PURPOSED WORKING STANDARD (Read the Standard for the Lionhead Rabbit). only if the entry is accepted by the Show Secretary for each show.

lol i really didnt think this was going to become a hard core debate XD
im really responsible when it comes to my animals. if someones sick im the first one who notices and the first one to the vet, ive had my experiances with emergancy vet visits (even though it was a cat which i would imagine being more then a rabbit).
i am interested in the velvet loins, i've been looking them up and everything, they seem interesting and something i wanna look into doing.
im hoping to get her coat with ceasers mane and get both their temperments, sometimes you gotta mix rabbits to get what you want. i plan on getting a mini rex and another lion head when i get the right meterial to make more cages. im not just doing this without thinking, i should have explained myself lol..

To get to the point of velvet fur with the lions mane, it is going to take many, many crossings and breedings. The first generation will not have velvet fur or a main, as both are recessive traits and require both parents to be carriers.

I have no expertise in genetics as some of our wonderful Rabbitry members do, but I do know that creating a new breed takes a ton of work.

A solid understanding of genetics and a large number of rabbits to work with is needed. Many rabbits will be produced that do not have the desired traits and will need to be rehomed. Not just a litter or two, but 3-4 generations of rabbits and you will need a decent sized herd to start with to prevent too much inbreeding.

For someone just starting out on breeding, it is advised to start with a recognized breed. Find a mentor to help you figure out the breed and the rabbit show world. Then, start with the highest quality rabbits you can afford and grow from there.

Starting a new breed or even just working on a breed that is not recognized by ARBA, is a whole lot of work and it will be very easy to get overwhelmed.

-Dawn

Based on your pictures, your doe is not a Mini Rex, she has obvious guard hairs, not seen in the Rex fur. even at this age (and being of questionable parentage, may not carry the gene for the Rex fur). Not what you want if you are looking for, to produce "Velvet lions". Your boy doesn't carry a huge mane, and anything he throws, especially crosssed with a "non-maned" breed, will have less of a mane.

She seems very sweet, but she is still very young. Wait until she develops and grows up, see how her personality is when puberty hits. Some Does become very defensive and territorial. She could seriously hurt your buck if she suddenly thinks he's trespassing in her territory.

Iwouldn't let her play with the buck. She can be ready to breed anywhere between 14 and 16 weeks... you don't know her exact age, you don't know when that will be... breeding her too early can cause serious problems. Keep them seperate until you are sure of what you want to do.

Give it a lot of thought. Be responsible. Shelters are full of very sweet tempered, very pretty, very loving, mixed or prue bred companion rabbits.

You can't really work on getting velvet lions since she isn't a mini rex ;)She is a mini rex mix, if even that. To me, she looks like a typical mixed breed rabbit you find in every pet shop and shelter. Not to sound mean, I'm sure she will make a wonderful pet, she just should not be bred. Mixed bred rabbits ARE very hard to find homes for. Believe me, I know. Unless your going to let them go for meat or very cheaply, which means they could possibly go on to breed more mixed breeds, end up as snake food etc.

To find good homes for them, you might have to keep them for a long time, can you afford to get up to 6 or 7 more cages to house each seperately until you can get good, responsible homes for all of them?

If your friends are interested in getting a nice, mixed breed rabbit. Point them towards the nearest shelter, where they could save the life of the many gorgeous, affectionate rabbits that have no homes and could possibly end up put to sleep.

If you want to become a breeder, work on a breed, go to shows, learn the standard of the breed you want to work with , get help and advice from other breeders.

There is a lot more to breeding them just putting two mixed breed rabbits together for cute babies, that is back yard breeding. You really need to look into and think about what your planning to do.

I know your want for cute babies will probably win over the good advice given on here though, but at least think about it.

Good Luck!

mistyjr wrote:
Silver Star Rabbitry wrote:
Lionheads have been recognized by the ARBA.
This is the website of someone that raises the Velvet Lions.
http://lilysrabbitholewarren.webs.com/ourvelvetlions.htm
They look like they would be a very interesting breed to raise.

Emily
I was looking at this website! I was wondering though, What is Astrex?
If I'm correct Astrex is an uncommon gene found in rex/mini rex that makes the coat curly.

im taking everything in, im not just going to jump into it. if i wasnt thinking about it i would have gotten all defensive and went off like a little kid =P lol
i really do thank all of you for your help. and i am paying attention. ive been doing alot of home work ^___^ i probably wont breed them, i'll probably see if i can sell her and get a pure bred lion head. i dunno yet still thinking about stuff

EDIT: lol i had to come back and add this picture XD she fell asleep like that for a good 5 minutes until my boyfriend desided it was time for guitar

ulvft.jpg

Latest posts

Back