new bunny stays in one place

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mari

Reaction score
Our new minilop is a sweetie, but she does notmove aropund very much in her new cage. Her cage isa large dog crate with all the necessities plus a few toys,high quality hay and pellets, a solid floor, soft litter,theworks. She is in a room that is quiet but she gets lots ofattention. The bunny rarely leaves one particularcorner of her cage. although she is doing very well in usingthe litter box. Her favorite place is the barearea. I don't understand why she doesn't move around more andI am worried. She eats, drinks and her poop looks normal. Shedid have a spot of ringworm which is clearing up withtreatment. She does seem somewhat itchy, but has no fleas orflea dirt. When we let her out she hops all overthe room, loves to jump in my daughter's pile of dolls and her littlecouch. She is very calm, loves to be petted. Anyadvice on her strange cage behavior would be appreciated.

Mari

Warmest Welcome Mari,

I have a holland lop that did the same thing when I first got her. Intime, she came around, but it took her a couple of months in the housefor her to venture out. I used to worry that she wasn't gettingexercise and although I'd leave the cage door open, she'd stay put. I'dtake her out of the cage, with her hesitating, just so that shouldcould use her muscles.

As your little one calms down and gets used to her new environment and you, she may start moving around a bit more.

Any patches of dry skin or bald spots? That can indicate mites orfleas. I know you said that you don't see any evidence of it, but justkeep a close eye out for that itching.

-Carolyn

Mari wrote:
Ournew minilop...does not move aropund very much in her newcage. Her cage is a large dog crate with all thenecessities plus a few toys, high quality hay and pellets, asolid floor, soft litter,the works....The bunny rarely leaves oneparticular corner of her cage....Her favorite place is the barearea.... Any advice on her strange cage behavior would beappreciated.

Mari
Perhaps, she is telling you something by staying on the barearea. She might not be used to wallowing in "softlitter." I use dogcrates for most of our indoorhouse bunnies, but I construct a simple wooden frame to which I attach1/2" x 1/2" vinyl covered hardware cloth to function asflooring. I suspend this frame with wire floor a couple ofinches above the crate tray with small lengths of chain and line thetray with newspaper to catch any stray refuse that passesthrough. I provide a corner litter box filled with anappropriate litter. End result is that the buns are alwayshigh and dry above any feces or urine that might not be deposited inthe litter box for whatever reasons.

I, myself, cannot understand why pet owners would allow their pets towallow in the very same litter they might pee and poop in. Itseems many pet stores follow that practice as well, but I'm at a lossto understand why. A wire floor seems so much more hygienicand healthy and a specialized litter box utilizes so much less litter,and is, therefore, more economical.

Some people are adverse to wire floors for the risk they perceive theirrabbits will endure sore hocks as a result. Sore hocksusually occur amongst rabbits who genetically don't have enough fur ontheir feet to begin with, such as some rexes, for example; oramongst the larger breeds like the giants. If there was aninherent risk involved in its use, one could provide plasticwaffle resting boards which are sold for exactly thosepurposes. In truth, though, most sore hocks occuron 1/2" x 1" wire floors, and not the 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth Irecommend. I believe the smaller size of the grid reduces theprobability of sore hocks for any reason(s).

Be careful in your use of "soft litter." Cedar shavings havebeen suggested as the source of some respiratory infections and skinproblems for rabbits kept in close contact with thesubstance. It appears rabbit urine combines chemically withthe cedar shavings to produce toxic fumes strong enough to affect theskin and lungs. If you believe you must use shavings of somesort, pine would be a better alternative.

Buck

Thanks Buck for your response,

Initially, I covered the floor with soft litter, but bunny avoidedsitting in it. After I cleared out all the litter, (justleaving lots in the litterbox), bunny became very consistent in usingthe litterbox. So, she does not have anypoop orpeeon the floor of the cage. Otherwise,your theory would be reasonable. I can't imagine that a bunnywould prefer being on a wire floor, if their solid floor was kept veryclean. And the wire floor still allows bunny to poop when andwherever, with little consequence. Still, your ideais of interest if in fact the bunny is reacting to just the possiblesmell of a dropping even if it was cleaned up. I'll keep youradvice in mind.

Thanks Caroly,

bunny does enjoy runnng around the bedroom , it's just hercage that where she is quiet. You see my response to Buck'sidea. Thanks for your advice.

Mari

Mari wrote:
...Ican't imagine that a bunny would prefer being on a wire floor, if theirsolid floor was kept very clean. And the wire floor stillallows bunny to poop when and wherever, with littleconsequence. Still, your idea is of interest if infact the bunny is reacting to just the possible smell of a droppingeven if it was cleaned up. I'll keep your advice in mind.
Of course, I can't speak for all bunnies at all times, but whenever Iprovide resting boards for my buns, or pack the floor with straw, theystill prefer to hang out on the wire floor only. Don't knowwhy that is, but it is that way with all five of them.

Have never owned a rabbit who pooped in its litter boxexclusively. Urinate, yes, but pooping occurs a bit moreindiscrimately. Some are better than others, but in general,the wire flooring proves to be beneficial, as the poop sifts through tothe newspaper lined tray below. Small chore to slide anyaccumulated poops off paper into the trash each morning when I cleanthe litter box of the house rabbits. Outdoors hutch rabbits'poops simply drop to the ground to make excellent fertilizer. Hutcheshave wheels, so there is no urine/poops build-up in any one area of theyard.

Eliminate poop/urine smell by wiping areawith white vinegar,otherwise the rabbit detectable odor may linger for quite a while,encouraging repetition of the behavior in the same spot.

Buck

Maybe because the wire floor is more comfortable.In the hot weather, there is more air circulating under their bodiesand keeping them cooler, as opposed to laying on a solid surface. Andwire gives a little when you put pressure on it, so it may better forthem to lay on than a solid surface. With my bunnies, when Rex had awire floored cage, I gave him a litter box, a nest box, and lined thewire floor with hay. He did prefer to be on the wire, but the hay keptit from cutting into his feet.

Buck,

I am starting to see the rationale for your wire floor.Why do you suspend it with chain instead of just sliding theframe on top of the crate floor? I am terrible atbuilding anything. I wish you sold these wire floors!

Mari

Buck,

Do you have pictures of the floor you make? It sounds similar to what Idid for Mr. Wiggles first cage, but it wasn't perfect and took so longto make that I didn't make a second one when I rebuilt the cage. I'd beinterested to see how it's done.

Thanks,

Megan

Latest posts

Back