New Bunny Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShreddersMom

Reaction score
Hello, I need your help!

I am a new bunny owner. I got a rabbit from a couple who had purchased a pair of bunnies from an event 2 years ago for their kids. Their kids ended up getting bored with them and they were looking for good homes for the two rabbits. These rabbits have been together since they got them but are both un-neutered lop (mix?) males. The lady told me that taking one is better because while they will sometimes sit together she will often see them fighting and ripping fur out. I went to go see them and while they were both a bit skittish I ended up coming home with one.
They said the rabbits were litter trained so I decided to make him a free range rabbit. I am a student and I live in the basement of a student house. The first night that I brought him home I let him sit on a pillow the majority of the day. Then in the evening he warmed up and started hopping around, exploring and was okay with being picked up and held! He even used his litter box that night. Since the first night however things have changed. Now two days later this rabbit is very shy and does not hop around but sits in his house or in a corner without doing much. He doesn't seem to want cuddles or company but even when I give him space he doesn't move. He has a litter box, hay, pellets, treats, blankets, huts, beds and he just sits in one spot.

Is this because he misses his rabbit friend even though they fought? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? I play relaxing music give a variety of treats and make sure he has cozy places to hide. How long until I should become concerned. I am pretty sure this is a behaviour issue and not because he is sick but of course, I am not a vet and I don't know.

Overall, I am looking for any advice on what to do to help little Shredder feel better?

Thank-you for you time. :bunny22:

ShreddersMom

Is he eating, drinking, and pooping normally?

It could very well be that he is depressed and missing his buddy. Even though they may have fought, if they also enjoyed cuddling together then they probably had bonded to some extent. You could try spending more time cuddling and playing with him yourself, to help him adjust. But aside from giving him time, new activities to distract him(eg. toys, cardboard boxes, newspaper to shred), and your attention, usually the only other way to help a bun depressed from losing their partner is to find them a new bunny friend, but this can be a complicated process, and you would also need to have him neutered before actual bonding could be attempted.

http://www.flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

In terms of eating, drinking, pooping, they are normal considering his habits. What I mean is that he does all those when he isn't hiding. When he does come out he will go to the litter box and use it. Additionally when I bring him some food to a hiding spot he eats everything out of my hands. He hasn't peed too much mostly just on the first and second day, is that normal?

In terms of toys and distractions he doesn't seem to be interested in anything I give him but I'll keep trying new stuff.

So how long of this behaviour until I should get concerned??

You know, 2 days is a very short time to adjust. If he doesn't seem to be ill, just leave him be for now. Continue to give him treats and things to play with, maybe spend time ignoring him so he feels free to move around whenever he feels like it. I moved recently and it took days for one of my 2 rabbits to begin getting out of her wooden / cardboard houses. It's been two months and she still hasn't come out of their room and I've had her for 5 years! My other rabbit was running around the house after 2 days. But then again, he is a bit of an idiot when it comes to danger XD.
It really depends on the personnality of the rabbit. But it's true that your rabbit would probably feel less unsettled if he wasn't alone, especially if he was used to live with another rabbit. And, I know it's no use saying it now, but no wonder those two rabbits were fighting. 2 males isn't the easiest combination to begin with and you'd have to know nothing about rabbits to try it on two UNNEUTERED males. That's a 99% chance of fighting. They were lucky the rabbits didn't seriously injure each other.
If your rabbit continue being depressed, you might consider neutering him (never a bad thing to do anyway) and finding him a spayed girlfriend. It might help him to perk up and if your rabbits are free-range it should go well with the proper introductions being done.

For the peeing stuff, do you feed him vegetables or just pellets? Does he drink enough? If not, you may put a drop or two of organic carrot juice in the water (do you use a water bowl ? rabbits drink more from that than from bottles, which only delivers a drop or two at a time).

For the toys, my rabbits LOVE toilet paper cardboard rolls filled with hay, plastic keys (they throw that around for some reason), and those toys made for dogs were you hide treats under wooden caps or in a little labyrinth thing, also treats dispensers. Notice that it's all most successful when food is involved XD

I am looking to probably eventually neuter him.

He is perking up a bit just most of the day is spent in the hut. If I put some treats in front of his cage I can lure him out and even stroke him while he munches. It just seems like he doesn't really want to hop around or explore or do anything on his own. How active are rabbits generally? Like activity level of night vs day?

Also, he has a water bowl and I would assume he probably doesn't get to it much since he doesn't leave the hut much. If this doesn't improve soon I will try the carrot juice method. Thanks! :running bunny

Latest posts

Back