New bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljamos

Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Laura, I live in Virginia, and I just got my first bunny. I have three kids, and we worked our way up from hamsters to guinea pigs as the kids got older. Now that they're old enough to help out some with the pets and not try to play rough, we decided we were ready for a bunny. We adopted Trixie from a shelter this week (that's her over there in my profile picture). They said she was a Holland Lop but after reading more about the breeds, I'm pretty sure she's a Mini Lop - she's definitely bigger than a Holland Lop. She's a super sweet little girl who came to us already spayed and litter-trained, which was a big bonus. My kids love her and she's becoming accustomed to us and the noises around our house.

Anyway, I registered here because I keep coming up with lots of questions and hope to be able to get some great advice here!

Welcome! :D

Just so you know, being larger than the breed standard doesn't necessarily mean she's not a Holland. Hollands are a dwarf breed and the dwarf gene is a bit odd. It's dominant (a rabbit only needs one copy to display the trait) and inheriting two copies of the gene is a lethal combination (kits who get two copies are called "peanuts" and die VERY young, long before weaning age). Hollands that are the appropriate size for their breed have one "dwarf" copy of the gene and one normal copy.

If you breed two dwarven Hollands (ie each with a dwarf gene and a normal gene), each kit has a 25% chance of being a peanut, a 50% chance of being a dwarf and a 25% chance of getting two normal copies (so 2/3 of the viable/surviving kits are dwarves and 1/3 are not). If you breed a dwarf Holland to a non-dwarf Holland, you eliminate the chance of peanuts and the offspring have a 50% chance of being dwarves and a 50% chance of being non-dwarves. (Non-dwarf Hollands are automatically un-showable but are often used as breeding stock.)

In other words, somewhere between 33 and 50% of all Holland lops are NOT 2-3 lbs once they reach a healthy adult weight [I get the feeling that most Holland breeders pair a dwarf to a non-dwarf as it eliminates the heartbreak of peanuts and you get the same % of dwarven kits either way, so it's probably closer to 50% of all Hollands than 33%]. My little Gazzles weighs about 4.75 lbs - putting her squarely in the "4-5 lb" Mini lop weight range - but I know for a fact that she's purebred Holland because she came from a breeder. I was honestly baffled by the weight discrepancy for a good while, as she's a little chubby but nowhere near chubby enough to be 2 lbs overweight for her frame! Then I learned the intricacies of the dwarf gene and suddenly it all made sense :p.

Hi & :welcome1, Laura, Trixie & family (human & furry)!
Glad you joined us! Yes, RO is a great place to come to learn more about bunnies as well as to "meet" some very friendly, knowledgeable & helpful members! RO has become my online bunny home. Glad to have you, Trixie & the whole family!

welcome.gif
to the forum--looks like you got a cutie.

Is a Holland lop a mini lop? I thought mini lop is the British name for the Holland lop

Just so you know, being larger than the breed standard doesn't necessarily mean she's not a Holland.

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm not sure where she came from before she came to the shelter, so I don't know if she came from someone who was positive she was a Holland Lop or who just thought she was. Other than the size, are there any other ways of telling what she is? Not that it really matters to me, at this point I'm just curious!

I'm not the Rabbit God by any means, but she is a Holland Lop. I have one also, her name is Lady and I'm attaching a picture. You can have all types of animals that are NOT breed standard that doesn't mean they are not that breed. If she ain't a Holland lop I ain't on earth typing this email..:)

I'm attaching two pictures of my Holland Lop just so you can see.. Both their bodies types, etc are exactly the same..

Vanessa

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Is a Holland lop a mini lop? I thought mini lop is the British name for the Holland lop

I think you are right..

Vanessa

This is what I found online:

The Mini Lop is a very popular rabbit breed that is featured in numerous rabbit shows throughout the United States. In the USA, it is the third smallest Lop overall, the Holland lop and American fuzzy lops are smaller, as well as the smallest non-dwarfed lop. It is a different breed from the Holland Lop, which is the smallest (and only dwarf lop) of lop breeds in the USA. Its equivalent in the UK is the Dwarf Lop; however there is a breed called the Miniature Lop in that area, which is the equivalent of the Holland Lop in the United States.

Here's some breakdowns on the Lops for ya!

Holland Lop:
They are popular house pets, known for their sweet temperament and nonaggressive behavior, though they retain a certain doglike tenacity.The Holland Lop is classified as a small sized breed. The Holland Lops have a stocky build, with a short, thick-set body, rounded haunches and short, strong legs. The head is broad with a strongly curved profile, and broad, thick ears that hang down beside the head.The Holland Lops have a dense coat of soft, medium length hair. The senior bucks and does must be 6 months or older and weight not over 1.81 kg. The junior bucks and does are to be under 6 months of age and with a minimum weight 0.91 kg. During the competition, all color are to be shown as Solid and Broken pattern. Recognized colors within a group are not to be judged separately.

Mini Lop:

Like any animal, Mini Lops come in a variety of personalities but, most often than not, they are fairly friendly and extremely playful. They are also very intelligent in that they can be trained a variety of tricks and commands and can be litter boxed trained. They love to be with their family and will show their disapproval if neglected. The Mini Lop rabbit is classified as a medium sized rabbit.The Mini Lop fur is very thick and dense. It should be glossy and lustrous. It is medium in length with a good roll back. Long, thin, silky, harsh or extremely short fur. Mini Lops come in many beautiful colors.

French lop

Due to their relatively larger size in comparison to other breeds, the French Lop may require a large hutch/run to move around freely. They fare well in both outdoor and indoor cages but keep in mind they are still rabbits and not dogs; they will chew and they are hard to litter-box train. They are known to have a placid and relaxed temperament, and can tolerate other species. When socialized well at a young age they are a wonderful family pet, and are very gentle with children. However, French Lops are not for the first-time rabbit owner because they are very large and can be hard to handle. They have very strong back legs, and can cause injury without meaning to, so care should be taken.

The Holland Lop is a breed of rabbit originating in the Netherlands. The breed was recognized by the Netherlands' Governing Rabbit Council in 1964 and the American Rabbit Breeders' Association in 1979. They are popular house pets, and are very popular and competitive for show. They are also known for their sweet temperament and nonaggressive behavior, though they retain a certain doglike tenacity. (Yes they do..)
Aleck Brook's importation of stock from Holland and the ensuing acceptance of the Holland Lop by the American Rabbit Breeders Association is popular knowledge. But perhaps less known is the breed's history in Europe. A Dutch breed, and one developed by Adriann de Cock of Tilburg, Netherlands, the Holland Lop, or Dwarf Lop as it is known throughout Europe, was recognized by the Netherlands' Governing Rabbit Council in January 1964 whereupon a full standard of perfection was adopted.

A long time breeder of the Tan, De Cock was an admirer of both the Netherland Dwarf and French Lop, although of the opinion that the French Lop was handicapped by its large dimensions. During the winter of 1949-50 he obtained a French Lop buck bred to a white Netherland Dwarf doe, he being of the opinion that the resulting litter would be smaller than if the doe were a Lop. The venture failed and, in 1951, a French Lop doe was bred with a Dwarf buck (no easy achievement) and, resulting from the third mating a litter of six was born. All six possessed erect or normal ear carriage, the small closed ears of the Dwarf proving a dominant feature.

In 1952 a doe from this litter was bred to a Sooty Fawn colored English Lop buck, producing five young. Of these one doe had lopped ear carriage, two had normal carriage, and the other was half-lopped. Of aggressive nature, the fully lopped doe was never successfully bred. Instead, De Cock bred a doe with one lopped ear from the second litter to a buck from the first litter. The does from the first litter were likewise bred to bucks from the second. These breeding resulted in a percentage of lop-ears which were later interbred with an emphasis on the French Lop type, these traits having been momentarily lost with the infusion of English Lop blood. By 1955 De Cock had a Holland Lop of sorts weighing 2.5 to 3 kg. and in January 1964, he presented four specimens for acceptance each weighing less than 2 kg.

Demand in Holland immediately exceeded supply and soon "fast buck merchants" were requesting an increase in weight allowances to 2.5 kg. In 1970, De Cock and twelve supporters founded a Holland Lop Specialty Club with plans to breed the upper weight down to 1.5 kg. as it is now.

Dutch stock has since been distributed throughout Europe, especially Belgium, although in Germany and Denmark the Medium sized "Mini Lop" is more popular. Japanese stock came, I believe via Denmark, Italian via Switzerland and France.

The many varieties of Holland Lop are grouped into 8 groups. Here are those groups:
(1) Self: Black, Blue, Chocolate, Lilac, REW and BEW (2) Shaded: Sable Point, Siamese Sable, Seal, Smoke Pearl, Black Tort, Blue Tort, Chocolate Tort and Lilac Tort. (3) Agouti: Chestnut Agouti, Chocolate Chestnut Agouti, Chinchilla, Chocolate Chinchilla, Lynx, Opal and Squirrel (4) Tan Pattern: Black Otter, Blue Otter, Chocolate Otter and Lilac Otter. (5) Wide Band: Cream, Fawn, Frosty, Orange, Red and Tri-colors. (6) Pointed White: Black Pointed White, Blue Pointed White, Chocolate Pointed White and Lilac Pointed White. (7) Ticked: Gold Tipped Steel and Silver Tipped Steel in Black, Chocolate, Blue and Lilac. (8) Broken: Any color in conjunction with white.

Just so you know, being larger than the breed standard doesn't necessarily mean she's not a Holland. Hollands are a dwarf breed and the dwarf gene is a bit odd. It's dominant (a rabbit only needs one copy to display the trait) and inheriting two copies of the gene is a lethal combination (kits who get two copies are called "peanuts" and die VERY young, long before weaning age). Hollands that are the appropriate size for their breed have one "dwarf" copy of the gene and one normal copy.

If you breed two dwarven Hollands (ie each with a dwarf gene and a normal gene), each kit has a 25% chance of being a peanut, a 50% chance of being a dwarf and a 25% chance of getting two normal copies (so 2/3 of the viable/surviving kits are dwarves and 1/3 are not). If you breed a dwarf Holland to a non-dwarf Holland, you eliminate the chance of peanuts and the offspring have a 50% chance of being dwarves and a 50% chance of being non-dwarves. (Non-dwarf Hollands are automatically un-showable but are often used as breeding stock.)

In other words, somewhere between 33 and 50% of all Holland lops are NOT 2-3 lbs once they reach a healthy adult weight [I get the feeling that most Holland breeders pair a dwarf to a non-dwarf as it eliminates the heartbreak of peanuts and you get the same % of dwarven kits either way, so it's probably closer to 50% of all Hollands than 33%]. My little Gazzles weighs about 4.75 lbs - putting her squarely in the "4-5 lb" Mini lop weight range - but I know for a fact that she's purebred Holland because she came from a breeder. I was honestly baffled by the weight discrepancy for a good while, as she's a little chubby but nowhere near chubby enough to be 2 lbs overweight for her frame! Then I learned the intricacies of the dwarf gene and suddenly it all made sense :p.

Jennifer

As always you are correct!

Vanessa

I forgot to add about weight and breed standard.. I had a chihuahua that was 17 pounds once that passed away in 2010. Everyone thought he was a mini pin. I got him from a breeder. He could not be shown because he was not breed standard but had papers! He just loved to EAT AND EAT.. which is why he could never be shown.. I didn't buy him to show.. I bought him because he was timid and a beautiful blue black color..

Vanessa

Welcome to RO...You will find great advice and knowledge here on this site for sure...if it wasn't for RO and especially Vanessa(LoveLops) i don't know how i would have coped with my recent emergency that i had regardless of it's outcome,
there are great knowledgeable people on here and tons of great buns too...I'm sure without a doubt any questions you have will be able to be answered or they can point you in the direction you need to go..Again welcome to the RO :community:

Latest posts

Back