New bunny might have some health probems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
So, I just brought home my new bunny and I think he/she might have a couple of health problems and I was hoping someone could shed some light if they have seen anything similar.

There are 2 things worrying me.

One is that the bunny's back legs seem to splay out a bit to the side, and he/she seems to have a little trouble hopping and laying down.

The other which I am more concerned about, is that the bunny seems to move it's head from side to side. he does it more when he is tired or a little scared. To explain it as best as I can it is like he moves his head to the right and then to the left and then to the right again and it keeps going. I propped my hand against his head last night and his head wasn't moving, but his eyes were still moving from side to side. It was like they would slide one way and then he had to move them back into place, like the were slipping. Does that make any sense?

I will be taking him to the vet this weekend to talk to them about it. I am worried, it must be frustrating for the little one. I am worried that it will get worse or that he will need long term care. I don't mind having a special needs bunny, I will still love him the same, I just don't want him to have to go through that :(

Has anyone else seen or heard of this happening?

I forgot to say the little bun is only 8 weeks old so I think he may have been born with whatever may be wrong with him. It is only a very slight splay. poor little thing :( he is full of character though and a very cuddly little one :)

Oh no, poor lil' guy
I hope that you find out what is happening when you take him/her to the vet. And hopefully the vets will be able to give you some help to provide a nice long and healthy life.
Please let us know what happens
Take care and we will be thinking of him

Thanks guys, he seems to be doing ok he is getting used to being in his new home and he is a very energetic and cuddly little bun. He is still doing the head moving thing but not as much and his legs dont seems to bother him too much, he is just a tiny bit clumsy.

I couldn't get in to the vet this week so I will try to get in during the week after work. I am not as worried as before because he seems happy an bouncy so maybe it is just a minor or behavoural thing. We will find out what's going on soon and I will keep in high spirits until then :)

The eye movement you described is nystagmus (normal after activities like rollercoasters and vigorous spinning). Most often caused by an inner ear infection, and less commonly other disorders, but considering his head moves from side to side sounds like a balance issue from an ear infection. Hope the vet gets him all better soon :)

Latest posts

Back