New bunny eating carefresh

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaBunBun

Reaction score
My new bunny which I think is a Netherland Dwarfis eating her carefresh out of her liter box.. Should I put somethingdifferent in her liter box?? I will send a pic of her latershe is all white with pink eyes and has some grey her ears andfeet. I also am slave to 3 chinchillas and a shihtzu and ablack lab. I look forward to meeting the wonderful people onthis board.

Brandi

Hi there!! im jane ihavetwo 8 week old min dwaf lop buns, and i have a kitty andi have a black lab!! they are all great, anyways im not shore about thequestion you have asked but there are more exsperinced people on hereto help you with any Qs!!

Nice meeting you hope to caht to you again!!:D

Brandi,

Your bunny sounds very cute.

I would try something different in the litter box. Woody Petis great if you can get it in your area. Farm supply storeslike Tractor Supply Company usually carry it. If you can'tget that, try Yesterday's News. It's dust-free so it's goodfor rabbits. You can get the kind for cats, but make sureit's the unscented one.

Laura

bi1526 wrote:
Brandi,

Your bunny sounds very cute.

I would try something different in the litter box. Woody Petis great if you can get it in your area. Farm supply storeslike Tractor Supply Company usually carry it. If you can'tget that, try Yesterday's News. It's dust-free so it'sgood for rabbits. You can get the kind for cats, but makesure it's the unscented one.

Laura
My rabbit loved to snack on the YN, but he eventually stopped when he realized that it had no nutritional value.

Welcome to the forum DakotaBunBun,

I have a Netherland Dwarf also. Pip, another member has one too.

I used Carefresh before, and Pebbles nibbled on them too. Itis a paper product, so it shouldn't cause too much problems.Yesterday's News is also paper in a pellet form.With those two products, I founded they were quite expensivetoo use. $15 - $20 a month fora little bunny. When they got wet,it stayed wet, so I had to throw alot out.

Then I switched to Woody Pet. It is a wood product andturns to a fluffy sawdust when wet. It controls odors verywell, and you don't have to change it that often.It cost $5.00 for a 30lb. bag and it willlast for 2- 3 months for mybunny! Only problem, is that Ihave 10bags of it in thebasement. :p lol

This is what I do to keep Pebbles from getting into the litter:

It is a screen cut to fit the litter box. Other people have different screens and methods too.

Well it's nice to meet you and will hope to see your pictures.

Rainbows! :)

I use a litter that is similar to Yesterday'sNews. It's called Cell-Sorb. I find it at PetSupplies Plus, but I've also seen it at PetsMart. I've beentrying to find Woody Pet, but I can't seem to find itanywhere. Miss Basil, a mini rex, still nibbles on this, butonly when her pellets and hay are empty, so I just make sure she hastons of hay if I'm going to be gone and can't be checking it often.

I should try that screen thing, but I'm wondering how you keep the bun from getting the screen out?

Jen

Babies gofigure , they just have to tasteeverything lol , having 4grankids experience has taughtme no matter what if they are determinedto taste it there going to , idont use litter persay but do use asmall amount of shavings for them , itmakes clean up easier ,so icant suggest a particular litterbut everyone has hadgood luck with woody pets, inow also a lot ofthe forum people also usescreens and from where isit its a very neat clean idea ,

I guess try a few differentlitters but stay awayfrom any clay basedit isnt healthy for them or you ,and some of them perfume litters well<gag> whenwet is just plain nasty , nomatter how many times a dayyou clean .

I have indoor/ outdoorcats and only one uses abox the other prefers to doit in my garden :X thisis Mr Woo ! the culprit lol

LOL Gypsy. My male cat would use the indoor plants for his litter box too.

I have been using Southern States version of Woody Pet and my bundoesn't eat it at all, so it would be a good ideal to switch.It's cheaper and absorbs better.

cirrustwi wrote:
Ishould try that screen thing, but I'm wondering how you keep the bunfrom getting the screen out?

The screen I use is a hard plastic one, cut to fit the box exactly so Pebbles can't grab it.

This green one was softer and more flexible and Pebbleswasable to bend it and pull it out. So I don't use this greenone any more.

I am also thinking of getting screens with bigger holesor wire screens so that they would drain faster.

Rainbows! :)

I went to the local petstore and looked at thatVan Ness sifting litter pan. It's designed for cats, so theholes are too big. Our little cocoa puffs would probably fallright through. Plus, the sifter sits too far down in the box,so the litter would have to be on top of it. That won't workfor me. I just got a deeper litter pan,hoping itwill keep more litter inside the box.

Laura

Latest posts

Back