NEW BUNNY!!! and some questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyDoo

Reaction score
Out in the middle of a Cornfield..., Iowa, USA
:bunnydance:I just adopted him today, well, I guess now it would be considered yesterday. His name is Leo and he is a Lionhead!!! omg, he is so cute! I got him from the Animal Rescue League of Iowa (if anyone is in the Des Moines area and looking, I strongly suggest to go there!). I get to pick him up tomorrow!!! I'm so excited, I already have his cage made up and everything :D.

I have some questions though, it's been a while since I've had a new bun around. How long should I let him get use to his new cage before I pet him and stuff? He's only 5 months (i'm notsure if that makes any difference). Also, the previous owner said that he liked bananas and raisens. I know that bananas are ok as an every once in a while treat, but I've never heard anything about raisens being healthy or bad for him. Does anyone else give raisens to their buns? She also mentioned parsley(i think thats what it was).

Anyways, I will try to post the pic of him that was on their website (he's adorable!!!). Thank you for any help!

~*Caitlin*~

Aww! Congrats! Your going to love the world of bunny owning.. once you go bun, you don't go back! He is so adorable!!! We want LOADS of pics, please? :)

About the new cage thing, (is the cage on the groung?) You could just leave the door open and put him on the ground and see. If he comes up to you, you could let him sniff you ect and maybe pet him. If your cage is risin, you could just put him in there for an hour or so then see just to make sure he gets comfortable in his new home! H ow awesome! :)

Yup, raisins are fine as a treat. As a treat ok, but too much (high in sugar) is not good. I feed my buns raisins VERY occasionaly. Parsleys good too, I feed it to my girls every night. The treats will also help to get him more comfortable with you.

Tell us how it goes! :)

Hi Caitlin! I'm so glad you're getting another bunny! Leo is adorable.

With my buns, I've started letting them out of the cage after the first day. I let them explore or come to me as they chose, and I only started trying to pet them if they came to me and didn't appear nervous. Since I went slow and allowed them to make the first moves, it really built up their trust. Try just sitting or lying on the floor while he checks you out.

Thank you!!! omg I'm so excited!!! I get him in less than 3 hrs! wow, it's been a year since I've had to take care of a bunny (I miss it!). Lol, of course I'll put up more pictures!!! well, as soon as I take them! Leo is also neutered and microchipped.

His cage is on the ground but it's the kind that has a small doorway-like opening on the side that doesn't reach the ground unless the door is down because it's like a ramp. (...not sure if that completely made sense :) but that was the best way I could describe it, lol). I will try that, but the people at the ARL told me he is very skittish and shy, so it might take a while with him. Apparently he loves to hide under things so I will have to make sure there is a box or something in his cage :)

I'm glad raisins are ok. On his tag it just mentioned that it was one of his favorite treats, so I wanted to check it out before I gave him any. Another question: what exactly are papaya tablets for? Is it like a vitamin? I mean, I've heard some people always praising them and some saying that they are useless. Also, I know pineapple juice is good for them, but does it matter if it is canned or fresh? I always used canned, but I talked to a lady at the shelter and she said fresh was healthier. I'm not really sure...

Well, I g2g and get ready to pick up Leo!!! (I'm excited, can you tell?)

:bunnydance:~*Caitlin*~:bunnydance:

Good luck! :D You'll just see how this little boy acts :)

Papaya tablets, I say they work good with digestion. I got papaya enzyime tablets from a health food store, but you can get them in buckets and they are made for rabbits. The ones I got during Pepsi's hairball worked fantastic, and they were for people.

For the pineapple, the canned doesn't really do anything for the enzyime part of things. The heating process that the canned goes through kills the enzyime, so it doesn't have the same qualities fresh would have with the enzyimes.

Hehe!! Getting a new bun is the best feeling in the world ;)

I brought him home a few hours ago :) he is so adorable. He is pretty much already comfortable with my room and lays down and everything. I bunny-proofed a section of it and layed down in the middle of it and he comes out of his cage (i left it open) and he put his front paws on me and goes right up to my face :bunnydance:it's so cute! He doesn't seem to be afraid of much of anything! lol, even on the way home (40 miles) he was fine. He just sat in the carrier and groomed himself. lol, he is so mellow. hehehe so cute.Lol, this has become my Leo Bragging Page :) Does anyone else have Lionheads on here?

Does anyone use the kind of water bottles without the big rolling tip? I have a water bottle that has a small tip that supposedly doesn't drip/leak, but I don't think Leo knows how to use it. After a while I noticed that he hadn't been drinking much so I put a small bowl of water in there, and he drank quite a bit from that. I stopped him so he wouldn't get sick or anything, but does anyone know how to let him know thats where the water is? It's a nice water bottle and my sister's guinea pig uses the same thing, so I know it works ok. Maybe I should switch to a regular water bottle...Any advice would be welcome!

~*Caitlin*~

Welcome! Happy to hear about your new baby! YAY!!

I noticed that you mentioned something about parsley (which bunnies LOVE). You should check out the many things this site has to offer in the Rabbit 101 section. There's a whole list of links about dietary questions and needs under the "Feeding Your Rabbit" thread.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=17

Here's a good one that lists what kinds of veggies are good for bunnies:
http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html

And another:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

And yet another:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

This one has a ton of veggie references on it:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

This page has a LOAD of information on it, everything from how to identify different kinds of bunny illnesses, to what to feed them! Check it out:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html#vegid

Also, if you go to the very top of that page, you'll see where you can choose from the topics to find other things. :)

This is also a helpful page that has loads of information:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/new-bunny-index.html

Check out the left-hand menu for other topics. :)

So, there you go. Check all that out. There are so many places you can find so much information about buns, and so much of it can be found from this site! :)

Again, welcome to the forum!! Don't feel shy about asking even the silliest of things. When I got my Maisie in February of this year (she's my first bunny), I researched through this site, and the various sites I gave you, for about eight hours, and even after I got her asked SO MANY questions here on the site. I thought I was being annoying asking so much, but everyone here is so sweet and ready to help! (A good example of how sweet: I had computer trouble and wasn't able to come online for ten days recently, and they posted something asking where I was and was I okay. It was so sweet!! They really do care. :))

Anyway, go for it...fire away. :)

Look forward to chattin' with you! :)

I'd leave the water bowl in until you get him a water bottle that he can use. He won't hurt himself by drinking too much, he was probably just really thirsty after the drive. Rabbits tend to drink more from bowls anyway, which is a good thing.

You can try showing him how to use the water bottle by pressing on it and making the water come out. If he doesn't figure it out and you don't want to use a bowl, then it's best to get a normal ball-tipped bottle. Did he have a bottle or a bowl at the shelter? One of mine doesn't know how to use a water bottle and nevermanaged figure it out (or she just plain doesn't like them)so she has to have a bowl.

I have a little lionhead! :D Although she has the mane, her body shape is nothing like a lionheads. Hers is lean and long with long front legs. You can keep the bowl in :D. Pepsi stopped drinking her waterbottel out of no where so I put a bowl in and she's been drinking out of the bowl ever since.

omg thanks for the great links! I've been on here a while but I bookmarked the forum to come straight here, so I completely forgot about all those things recently:) I found a regular water bottle and he seems to be using it, but I left the bowl in there for now and the other water bottle just in case he desides to start using it.

That is so cool Spring! I think your bun and Leo are pretty similar. Leo does have a mane, but it's not much of one (I looked up pictures of the breed and they are usually like really fluffy and all, but Leo is pretty sleek). But I'm pretty new to the breed so I'm not sure if he is "show quality" or not. Actually, I really don't care if he is or not, because I would only show once a year at a county fair and even if he's not, he's mine:) I'm not selling him ever! lol.

He let me hold him earlier yesterday :) I was so happy! I mean, he didn't automatically try to jump away either. I brushed him for several minutes...so awesome. And he doesn't bite people! In fact, the only times I've seen him bite anything was when he plays with his toys :)

Well, I got to go. Thank you everyone for helping me! I'm going to try and take some pictures today!!!

~*Caitlin*~

Hehe. Pebbles is probably the farthest thing from show quality.. If I took her to the show, one look from the judges and they'd probably tell me to get away with the sorry excue for a lionhead :D. I don't care what she looks like though, (She is the cutest thing on the planet along with Pepsi.. not to brag or anything;)) The looks mean nothing :D.

So he's settling in well? :) That's fantastic!

Lol, dont you mean, Pebbles is the cutest thing on the planet besides Pepsi AND Leo??? (not to brag either!)lol, you should post pics of them, they sound adorable! I need to take some of Leo! lol, as for the showing part...ah heck, I'll do it anyways :) his cuteness will get him a blue ribbon! lol

He is really settling in well! I built him a little run that extends from his cage (just out of cubes) and he comes out and doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. I was laying down in it (the clean part:))and started reading and he jumped on my stomach and my book :) it was so cute. I need to buy him another litter pan. I have one in his cage and he only uses it for a bed! instead, he'll go right out side his cage (on my carpet:() and take care of business there! lol.

What color is your bunny, Spring? I think mine is a silver black martin (or something along those lines) but I'm not for sure yet.

~*Caitlin*~

Nothing wrong with spoiling, lol! (that was weird to type:)) Lol, i'm working on the pics~~I need to find batteries for my camera first! plus, our horse ferrier is suppose to be here any minute (actually, an hour ago) so I don't really have that much time at the moment. But SOON there will be a whole bunnyblog of pictures!!!

~*Caitlin*~

I have a little Lionhead, too! He's such a cutie. Do you know at what age is their 'mane' isfully developed? Dandie is getting pretty fuzzy behind his ears! :)

Lol, I'm not too sure since I have only had him a grand total of 5 days ;) Awww, Dandi is a cute name! I took Leo to the vet for a check up and he is perfectly fine :)when I got him I was told he was just under 4 lbs, but at the office they said he was 2.7 lbs. They said he was fine, but I'm not sure if the shelter was just guessing about his weight or if he lost a little bit? I hope not, I feed him reg. and he always has hay at least.

~*Caitlin*~

I think there might have been a misunderstanding of his weight. It's impossible for a bun to drop1 pounds in 5 days with him having an ok run with the vet. They probably just made a mistake for his weight :D.

Hehe. How is he??

Hi Leo is cute. My Mr Pumpkin Bunny is a lion head. We never were able to teach him to use any bottle other than the regular roller bottle. In fact I got a new one after awhile and he refused to use it until I found the exact same kind as his first one! So I bought a couple.

As for the weight it could be a difference in the scale and the rescue rounding up a bit by saying "a little under 4 lbs." From what I have seen most Lion heads are pretty petite. I love lion heads.:inlove:

Back