New baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrel

Reaction score
Hi I am the proud owner oftwo baby doe lionhead rabbits (nine weeks old). I have neverowned rabbits before and just wondered how often and for how long Ishould handle them in the early stages. I got them on Sundayand left them alone all day Sunday and Monday. I got them outfor five minuites this morning, again at lunchtime to give them a brushand put them in their run for ten minutes this evening. Ihave noticed that Squirrel my grey one is panting a bit is this stressor could it be the heat? Their cage is in my daughters playhouse which is under the shade of a large tree. There arethree windows open and the door is open so there is a goodbreeze. She has taken to lying in her litter tray (perhapsthis is cooler than the hay?)

Any advice would be very welcome.Thanks

Welcome Squirrel, :wave:

I'd handle them as much as possible to get them socialized and used tobeing handled. Keep an eye on the one that's having a hardtime breathing. Are you sure you have plenty ofventilation? If it is hotwhere you are, you shouldcheck out the post at the top of the forum, "Keeping your rabbit's coolin the summer months". It'll give you arun down of things you need to be careful of if it is heat and how youcan help them.

Some rabbits just enjoy sitting in their litter tray.

-Carolyn

Thanks for the reply Carolyn.

I had a quick read through the post on keeping cool and went down tothe hutch cool flannel in hand but couldn't go through with it incase Igave her a complete stress melt down. She seemed pretty"chilled" (no pun intended), she was lying on her side with her legsstretched out and her eyes almost shut. It seemed a shame todisturb her. We have electricity to the garage next to thechildrens playhouse so if she seems in trouble tomorrow I will take thegirls fan down to see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome!

Carolyn's right. Rabbits should be handled often so that theyget used to it. I don't know if this is possible for you, butboth of my rabbits warmed up to me the most when I started letting themcome out of their cages on their own for play time. I wouldsit down on the floor and they would come over and check me out.

I also find that I need a fan even with the windows open. Theextra air movement helps them cope with heat a lot better.

I used to lay down on the floor with a newspaperor magazine (something crinkly) that would make noise and get themcurious...and then let them come out to explore me. I neverlooked directly at mine till they came close enough and touchedme....then I'd look at them directly and let them see me...but I didn'twant them to feel I was staring.

I'd handle them as much as possible....or let them play with you on the floor as much as possible!

We put avinyl-coated pet pen on the kitchen floor, then sit inside it with abook and pillow. Only one person at a time fits, but the time spentwith the bun (s) is special. Epoch likes to nibble whatever book we'rereading , he's also chewed holes in shirts and jeans. Niobe refuses touse the litter pan I place in the pen, but leaves an occasional puddlefor mom to clean up. ( I keep a spray bottle of white vinager for flooraccidents ; plus a roll of paper towels. ) Gimli spends time with usalone, and he likes to run fiercely, as well as groom us !:p

We all ( except my toddler ) spend time handlingbaby buns almost from day one. Basically to check for deadones at first...then later as they develope more fur --they're evenmore fun to hold.

Have fun with your Lionheads !

I meant to mention that it sometimes goes theother way for us....ifwe don't spend enough time with ourbuns they can get a little more timid than before.

But that's just us ; I don't know how it works for everyone. :D

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy:

Thanks for all your advise, I looked at a linkto "Rabbit Talk" and I think its paying dividends! Thismorning I got Squirrel and Blackberry Pie (my girls named them) out intheir run and put my hand out flat and scratched the ground a bit andfirst Squirrel and then Blackberry let me groom them. When Ihad finished they ran round the run like mad and did strange leaping inthe air and kicking sideways jumps. Does this mean they arehappy or have I made a big error?!:?

I have another question on Clover. I have read that whiteclover is ok for bunnies but purple clover is not. Is it justthe flowers that are poisonous or is it the leaves and stalkstoo. Its just that my garden is covered in purple clover, therun is currently located on the only clover free patch. If itis poisonous then is there anything I can use to kill it that will notaffect the rabbits?

Thanks.

squirrel wrote:
When I had finished they ran round the run like mad and didstrange leaping in the air and kicking sideways jumps. Doesthis mean they are happy or have I made a big error?!:?
Congrats on your first binkies! A binky is a happy bunny jump/dance.

I'm not sure, but I think the problems with clover are related to moldthat tends to grow on them. Someone else will probably know.

I think that you are right I have got happyrabbits!:D My husband built a huge run for the rabbits and mytwo girls got in with them tonight with strict instructions to just sitstill and let the bunnies come to them. Well within minutesSquirrel was climbing all over my youngest who is three, onto her lap,under her arm, up her back. I think that they are going to begood friends. I'm so pleased that they aresettling. Squirrel did have a bit of a disagreement with myfemale cat. tiggy(cat) came up to say hello, to whichSquirrel got up on her hind legs and stamped her foot atTiggy. Tiggy shot off up the garden into a tree and refusedto come down - the real "scaredycat".lol!

Latest posts

Back