Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovableLops

Reaction score
So i was up this morning calling around to lots of places to price out neutering.
I found some pretty cheap places and some NOT so cheap places of like $400 :shock:

Yeah.. so i was curious, those of you who HAVE had your little guys done, how much did you spend? Just curious.

I had the same problem I was quoted anywhere from 130.00 - 350.00 WOW In the end I paid 150.00. And and was VERY pleased with the vet

We paid around $200 total for Benjamin. Tony was already neutered when I got him, and the girls were spayed already. Check with your local Humane Society--they may have a low-cost spay/neuter program. I know ours does rabbit fixing for $40ish.

Claire I liked your idea so much I called my local HS. What a joke...I asked her if they have a low cost program...she busted out laughing at me, and said that the HS is a local volunteer shelter by no means would they ever b able to do that, they wud have to go to the vet just like anyone else. She talked down to me like I should have known this. I was very offended and said I was sorry for asking such a STUPID question.. "Well we have been in this city for a long time and our funds have not grown to have something like that, the community knows this" Again offended, I said this community member did not...gud bye.

Me too! That's terrible. I know our shelter's low-cost spay/neuter service does a lot to help the animals in our community, and most of the vet hours to do it are donated by local vets, and volunteers help with pre- and post-op care. We do get help from some local rescue groups, including one that focuses on fixing and vaccinating feral cats, and a large national charity called Maddie's Fund. I misquoted the price, it's $65 for rabbits. Still, it does a lot of good and it's too bad your shelter doesn't even want to try doing something like that. :(

I'm going thru the same thing calling all the rabbit savvy vets in my area and they are all over $400 for a neuter. The last neuter was 5 yrs ago and that was $150. What the heck!?

I did get offer's from other bunny friends to go to their vet at a cheaper price but the drive to either is 5 hrs away.

Toby's neuter coated me something like 230 for the procedure itself and docs to look after him for a few hours. 100 separate for anesthesia (who on earth would do a neuter without it???) and 15 for a round of pain killers to take home. It was a lot. But I am completely pleased with my vet.

Our shelter neuters the males, but does not spay the females. Our rescue has made arrangements with our wonderful vet to provide low cost spay/neuters for $65.

LovableLops wrote:
Have your rabbits behaviors changed any from getting this done?

Sadly, no....

Toby's toilet habits have always been pretty good. He's always been pretty hyper. He's always had a little bit of a mean streak. None of that has changed. My husband wonders if the vet left one by accident. LOL

I think there was a very short amount of time when the hormones really kicked in and he started to get his poops everywhere, but then he got fixed so he didn't really get much time to get hormonal.

For weeks I (and other mods/members on RO) thought that Toby's mean attitude towards my other bun was because of the hormones working themselves out... but I think it's just his personality :(

If you have them go over exactly what they are using and doing, you may have some options to remove..others you won't.

I had Simon done with the bare min...he was about 100.00

Random...from my blog

AVIAN & EXOTIC
They feel 4-6 months is best - $304.50 to $403.60(high end includes the night stay for just in case, fecal) Surgery, medications, supplies, anesthesia, heart monitoring, Oral pain meds & antibiotic's for home, fluids, physical,
Drop off night before, they take away food and water in the morning and hand feed when they wake up. Without food for about 2 hours, than time under -
He would come home that day - if there was a problem he would probably stay the night.
They have new anesthesia....they go under faster and wake up quicker - (Seva Flourine) Used in human child -
Surgery last 30 minutes - injections of pain meds before surgery -
One incision - suture on the inside - desolving and than glue on the outside.
Physical done in the morning to make sure he is ok.
Blood panel - prep panel to run values ($112 for full -sent out) - (prep is $68.00 run in house) Not included in the price quote. My choice - can opt to not have it.
Pick up before 6pm...and will call me as soon as he is done
** Micro Chipping - 66.00 - trovan - one time fee and register with them. **

BOWMAN
Called and no one could tell me anything. They said they could take my name and number and have someone call me back. I asked...there is not one person currently on staff that could give me a quote and tell me what that includes and she said no. That the vet and the staff that deal with exotics are not there and no one could tell me, they could call me back. I asked well what happened if I needed something in an emergency and they said they would try to get in touch with one of the 2 exotic docs they use. I did NOT feel good about this.

Small mammal neuter - $143.00
Perioperative package - $41.50 - which includes the following, Assisted feeding, Fluid Therapy multi inj SQ, ip per day and the isoflurane. It will cost 12 more for the sevo.
ECG Monitoring - $18.50
Physical Exam - $39.50
FlavoRX - $5.40
Meloxicam - $20.00
Biosyn - 4-0 Suture cut needle - $10.10

Which would total $290.00

Add on the blood work which I am unsure if I should do or not and it becomes - $340.00

If he needs to stay in the hospital at all -
Doctor Eval- $19.00 per day
Hospitalization - $27.50 per day

not to mention whatever else they would need to do for him if something went wrong.

About the only thing I can decline it seems was the fecal float.

There is also the tech appt 5 or so days later @ $7.50

------------------

I found [highlight= #ffff88]New [highlight= #88ffff]Hope [highlight= #88ff88]Animal [highlight= #ff88ff]Hospital with DR. Bishop (who runs a bun rescue)

to be the most reasonable in the area. Simon had his nueter done there. However because of location we continued to use a closer vet....Avain and Exotic who were wonderful.

[highlight= #ffff88]New [highlight= #88ffff]Hope [highlight= #88ff88]Animal [highlight= #ff88ff]Hospital

5016 Durham- C. H. Blvd Durham, NC 27707

919-490-2000

Avian & Exotic [highlight= #88ff88]Animal Care

8711 Fidelity Blvd, Raleigh NC 27617

919- 844-9166

I liked Dr. Leonetti..She is who always saw Simon.

Prices for Avain:

Small mammal neuter - $143.00
Perioperative package - $41.50 - which includes the following, Assisted feeding, Fluid Therapy multi inj SQ, ip per day and the isoflurane. It will cost 12 more for the sevo.
ECG Monitoring - $18.50
Physical Exam - $39.50
FlavoRX - $5.40
Meloxicam - $20.00
Biosyn - 4-0 Suture cut needle - $10.10

Which would total $290.00

Add on the blood work $340.00

to stay in the [highlight= #ff88ff]hospital at all -
Doctor Eval- $19.00 per day
Hospitalization - $27.50 per day

There is also the tech appt 5 or so days later @ $7.50

PRICES for [highlight= #ffff88]NEW [highlight= #88ffff]HOPE:

[highlight= #ffff88]New [highlight= #88ffff]Hope [highlight= #88ff88]Animal [highlight= #ff88ff]Hospital

(The Vet) - Been there about a year. Runs three different rescues and the small animals seen are only by her. (Jaime - tech)

$38 for exam
$16.75 for fecal float
$ ?? for the ecoli and clostridum test (needs to ask the doc.)

Neuter -
$90 -
bloodwork is 15-20
$100 for a full panel
$15 for pain meds.
Metacam
Iso florine

Now mind you these numbers are from when I had Simon Nuetered and that is a while ago now. They may have gone up or down since.

I think I remember her at the HRS Convention held in New Rochelle, NY every year.

Geez, I guess I may have to cave and go to my vet at $450. I even asked if there's a discount having multiple bunnies go to him and she laughed and said NOOOO.

Latest posts

Back