Neuter, even worse behavior.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeytonCara

Reaction score
Okay, I have an 9 month old holland lop named Crixus. He is my pride and joy! He was neutered on March 15. Crixus has always been an extremely well behaved bunny, at 3 months I already had him litter trained and I broke his habit of biting on my walls/chewing cords.
Of course puberty hit, but he was still extremely well behaved. The only thing was he mounted me excessively. I decided to get him neutered so a.) he would stop mounting me every ten seconds b.) I want to get him a friend in the future.
The neuter went well and my vet told me to keep him on cage rest for a week. I knew he would die of boredom so I spent the whole week by his cage petting him:p
When the week was over, I let Crixus roam as usual. He went straight for my walls and started chewing -_- I thought hey maybe he's bored and has all this energy built up, but now over 20 days later it has only gotten worse. He has always liked to dig, but now he does it all the time. He has also picked up nipping? I can tell it isn't angry, it's like he wants something from me. Is he trying to tell me something? His body obviously went under a huge change when he was neutered, is there anything I can do for him at this point? I don't want him to get sick from chewing my walls or anything, I know their tummies are sensitive. I'm not sure what I could use to boarder my entire bedroom walls, so if anyone has ideas on that also.
Thanks as always!!

I had a similar thing happen when I recently had my almost 2 year old Holland Lop Ripley neutered. He was a perfect gentleman minus excessive humping/circling and not so always great litter habits. Afterwards for several weeks, I wondered what we'd done; he was nippy, still humped, and a trouble maker. But now, 2 months later, he is a perfect little guy and I'm so pleased with how he acts.

I think when they're neutered, their hormones are way out of whack and they're having all sorts of mood issues along with that. Also, remember bunnies can still be fertile 4, maybe 6 weeks post neuter, so there are still a few hormones left, that might make him be still humping. My guess is that in a few weeks he'll maybe calm down some.

Thank you! It's good to know I am not the only one experiencing this. I read a lot about neutering before I got the procedure and I expected him to mount for the 4-6 weeks but he has actually been pretty good with it. I never expected other behavioral problems though. What a little trouble maker:]

It may or may not be the neuter. I'd be cautious to say you broke any habit of a rabbits's ;) ;) ;) he probably just for the time being stopped chewing walls but by coincidence picked it back up after the neuter.
Hormones can actually take 6-8 weeks dissipate so it is true hormones could be still playing a part in things, I'd be willing to bet he'll calm down in a month.
As far as the nipping make sure he understands that's a behavior not tolerated. If he wants attention, don't give it to him after he's nipped. Also you can try a firm no and prss his head gently the ground as a mother would do to a kit.
For chewing you can try rubbing white bar soap on the wall or whatever he is chewing.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back