Netherland dwarf bunnies breeding colour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siiioa

Reaction score
Hi wondering if I breed a BEW(both parents are BEW) with a fawn blue eyed (parents are lynx and blue eyed opal) , what colour of new babies I should expected?

I would recommend reading This article on the genetics behind BEWs. I understand fairly well due to the fact that I have a Harlequin VM buck and a Chinchilla VC doe, but it would take me AGES to type. In short you’d probably get mostly BEWs with some VMs and VCs.

I would recommend reading This article on the genetics behind BEWs. I understand fairly well due to the fact that I have a Harlequin VM buck and a Chinchilla VC doe, but it would take me AGES to type. In short you’d probably get mostly BEWs with some VMs and VCs.
Do you know why It is strongly discouraged to breed Vienna Marked/Vienna Carriers to anything apart from BEW?

I have told by other that have to breed a BEW to a BEW or a VM/VC in order to have BEW babies.

I was confused for a second about that too. I think that it’s because Vienna Marks are not showable, but BEWs are. Your more likely not to get Vienna Marks by breeding to a BEW because you will probably get mostly more BEWs. I personally wouldn’t want to breed a BEW to a Vienna or otherwise for two reasons:
1. BEWs are cute and all, but I don’t really want a bunch of them in one litter because I prefer more colorful bunnies and it’d be hard to tell them apart.
2. A double copy of the Vienna gene masks the actual color so you never know what you end up with.
It mostly depends on how much you like the BEW color😆

Do you know why It is strongly discouraged to breed Vienna Marked/Vienna Carriers to anything apart from BEW?
The vienna gene that makes blue eyes is impossible to breed out of a line, so if you breed it into a non-BEW line, that line will no longer be able to be used in any color program except for BEW because white spots or blue eyes will likely pop up down the line that disqualify the rabbit from showing.

Latest posts

Back