Nesting Box & Nest Building

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusedBrain

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am sorry if I have started a new topic that may already have another topic related to this one. I just could not find anything in the midst of my excitement.

One of my doe started building nest with hay and fur today. She suppose to be due in another 4 days. What I did was placing the next box I have built into her cage with quite a lot of hay in it.

Unfortunately, she still build nest outside of the next box and I kept on putting the hay she placed on her "nest" into the nest box instead. She do not seemed to be interested with the next box that I have built for her. Is there something that I could do to make her use the nest box?

Thank you in advance.

Fused

There is really nothing you can do except keep moving her nest into the nestbox. Also, make sure whichever corner she picks, that it is safe so the babies can't roll out of the cage. Secure the sides of that corner with cardboard and the floor too. After she has them, you can try to move them into the nestbox, keeping their nest in tact. Only do this if your doe does not mind you touching them.

Sharon

thanks Starlight!

If that is the case then I know what I shall do already. This doe's mum also had her out on the cage floor because I was unable to give her a nestbox in time. I just rub my hands on mummy and shifted the entire family into the nestbox.

Thanks again...

Did you try putting the nest box in the corner that she is building her nest in? Sometimes it's just the location that they object to... if all else fails, Starlight's suggestions are best. Just make sure the corner is secure and the babies can't crawl away. Then move them into the box. Good luck with your babies. (Lots of breeders believe that maternal instinct is an inherited trait along maternal lines... if momma wasn't a good mother, daughters are not either.)

her mum was an excellent mother after i place the kits in the nest box. She had 6 kits and all survived. Maybe not good with nestbox. Maybe their ancestor did not have nestbox to work with...LOL.....:p

I placed the nest box on top of the nest she built and block off all possible locations as well.

Hope she will get the idea and pop the kits in the nest box.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Any updates? I'm curious. :biggrin2:

She will not "pop the kits in the nestbox". Rabbits are unable to pick up their babies. You need to be the one to do it. Just scoop it all up together and put everything in the nest box. Then I'd put the nest box over the spot that she keeps building the nest at. It's true, she mayjust prefer that location.

I think Fusedbrain means she will pop the babies out in the nestbox, i.e. give birth to them there.

Good Luck FusedBrain, hope all is well.

I took the original poster to mean that they were hoping the doe would pop the babies in the nestbox by having them there.....especially since they mention that the doe's mother did the same thing and they put her babies in the nestbox after they were born.

But thanks for pointing that out for folks who are reading this and might not know!

Peg

Rabbidashery wrote:
She will not "pop the kits in the nestbox". Rabbits are unable to pick up their babies. You need to be the one to do it. Just scoop it all up together and put everything in the nest box. Then I'd put the nest box over the spot that she keeps building the nest at. It's true, she mayjust prefer that location.

Latest posts

Back