Nest Box Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Just wondering when is too early to place the nest box? We leave for holidays on Friday, and will be having the nieghbours feed and water and check on the rabbits while we are away. We will be back on Tuesday, but Bubbles is due between July 12-17. Can I put the nest box in on Friday before I leave or Should I wait until I get back? Or Shoudl I have the neighbour put it in there on Monday? This is our first pregnant rabbit, and I just want to make sure it is in there at the perfect time!

Thanks so much for the info in advance!!
Bri

Hi,

Congratulations on the upcoming litter. Exciting and nervous time. I' haven't experienced a litter yet, but will in the future with my Luna (lionhead).

I think waiting till Tuesday, when you get back will be soon enough for the nest box if your bunny is due between 12-17. I read that you don't want to put the nest box in too soon because the does might use it as a litter box. Then it won't be safe for the kits.

Hopefully those who "Been through it" will chime in with some good advise for you.

Wishing your doe an easy delivery with healthy kits. Please keep us all informed.

K

Thank you. I was thinking of just popping it in there when we get back. I have also read that if it is placed in there too early then she could possibly use it as a litter box.

I am hoping that she actually is pregnant. I bred her on the 12th of last month, and palpated her on day 14, and I THINK I felt a fetus. I am hoping I wasnt wrong. Anyways, I will post pics as soon as I can when they arrive!! I am very excited.

Do you know when she got preggo? I have a pregnant doe too. All the reading I have done says to put the nest box in on Day 28. If put in too soon it will be full of pee/poop! My rabbit is due on July 6th (Friday), just the other day she was collecting hay in her mouth and started to nest, or at least i thought so. So I went ahead and put the nest box in. Full of pee and poop, i had to disinfect it to keep babies safe. Tomorrow is Day 28 for me. I'm going to try to do this again lol. If she ruins it again then i just wont put it back until i see hair pulling!

I am so excited, this is my first litter.. hopefully my last, but still, soo soo soo excited!!!!

oh you bred her 1 week after mine did her thing. Yup. Day 28, I think it would be too soon to do it before you leave or while your gone.

Yeah, I will leave it out until I get back. I would like to be here for her building her nest. I am very excited too. This is my first litter as well. Goodluck to you for this week!!

Yeah, I will leave it out until I get back. I would like to be here for her building her nest. I am very excited too. This is my first litter as well. Goodluck to you for this week!!

Yep, just put it in there when you get back. And don't be surprised if she doesn't build a nest until immediately before delivery. That's what most of my does do, and then they scurry around and quickly build...and add on after they're done delivering. LOL Good luck!!

I put a nest box in my bunnies house when i saw her pulling her fur out.. i was watching her like a hawk from day 28 then only a few hours before she gave birth was when she started pulling her fur out.. :)

wendymac wrote:
Yep, just put it in there when you get back. And don't be surprised if she doesn't build a nest until immediately before delivery. That's what most of my does do, and then they scurry around and quickly build...and add on after they're done delivering. LOL Good luck!!

This is good to know! I put Oreo's nest box in today, can't stop checking to see if she made anything! Now I know to chill out lol

Back