needles and fixing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj82

Reaction score
Hi, I want to get Bobby vaccinated. I live in the UK and he is an indoor bunny, am I right in saying that he should still be vaccinated? I am lead to believe that vhd and mixy jabs can be given as one single needle. Is this true? Also when should I get him or her fixed? Is the age to do this different with bucks and does?

I am not sure about the vaccinations, but it is good to get them done even if the rabbit is indoors only. You never know when a mosquito might get into your house or they get exposed in another way.

For spaying, females can usually be done around 5-6 months. Males tend to be ready around 4-5 months. Males can be done once the testicles drop, but some vets might want them to be a bit older, size can be a consideration for some breeds as well. There really is not upper age limit as long as the rabbit is healthy.

Thank you that's really great I will get him booked in x

In the UK vaccinations are once yearly and is only one injection as it vaccinates for VHD and Mixy, my vet quoted me £38 and I get 10% off all treatments with some pet thing they offer :)

Hi, I want to get Bobby vaccinated. I live in the UK and he is an indoor bunny, am I right in saying that he should still be vaccinated? I am lead to believe that vhd and mixy jabs can be given as one single needle. Is this true? Also when should I get him or her fixed? Is the age to do this different with bucks and does?

VHD and mixy vaccines need to be given a certain length of time apart (a couple weeks or something, iirc) *if* they're given separately... but yes, there is a newer combination vaccine that takes care of both at once. Even indoor rabbits NEED the vaccines since both can be spread by mosquitoes and other insects.

Males can typically be neutered as soon as their testicles descend (usually by 3-4 months old); most vets will spay females at 4-6 months depending on their weight (mine likes them to be around 2 lbs before the spay, he says it makes it easier to find "those darned floating ovaries").

Back