Need trusted and good doctor in NYC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friday_Witch

Reaction score
Hello!

At first I want apologize for my mistakes in English (I am russian and only 1,5 in NYC).

So now is our story... :biggrin:

I am and my bunny from Moscow. She is almost 5 years old (she will 5 in may 2012). She is most beautiful bunny in the world and we love each other soo much :D At least she love me when i feed her :).
In Moscow we has a very good doctor which was check her to make sure she is ok, check her tooth, and every year we make vaccination for her (to prevent Myxomatosis and rabbit VHD(i hope i translated it right way)).

So. Before i bring my bunny in NY doctor make for her vaccination in september 2010. This vaccination work for one year. Now its 4 months expired :surrender and i have to make new.
I didnt take my bunny to any doctor yet because I am afraid take her to bad doctor and he make something wrong.

Can anybody suggest good bunny doctor in NYC. We live in Queens but it can be any borough - but good bunny doctor.
I look at vet listing now.
Its too many doctors. Which one is good? :?

PS thats my baby ^_^

:inlove:

I wish I could help you but I'm from Australia, I just wanted to say your Bunny is absolutely adorable! Good Luck with finding a good vet!

Hi! And welcome. I am so happy to see another member from NYC! Rest assured, there are quite a few very knowledgeable rabbit vets here. The House Rabbit Society NYC chapter keeps an updated list of vets who are highly recommended.

http://rabbitcare.org/vets.htm

My personal thoughts -- If you are able to drive out a little bit outside the boroughs, Dr. Jennifer Saver and Laura George in Long Island are *excellent* and they truly care for their rabbit patients. They might be closer for you in Queens depending on where you are. If you want to come to Manhattan, I have used Dr. Becky Campbell (she is more experienced than another vet at the same practice, I would ask for Dr. Campbell if she is available). Just know that Manhattan vets are unfortunately more expensive.

A little bit outside the city as well, in White Plains, Dr. Gil Stanzione is excellent. I like him a lot for my bunnies' care. Again, depending on whether you can make it out there with a bunny... because he is not in the NYC boroughs. His fees are more reasonable than the vets inside the city.

I'm not sure what the doctors will recommend for you because here in the US rabbits typically do not get vaccinated for myx and stuff like that. But, because your bunny came from a different place originally, maybe the situation is different. They should be able to tell you more when you get there.

Your bunny is very very cute :)

Good luck!

:dutch

kirbyultra, thank u. We live in Kew Gardens so its closed to LI and its not a problem for me take bunny there :)
Thank you so much for help.

Why USA dont make this vaccination? I know that this viruses is very dangerous for rabbits (if one rabbit on farm get this virus then all rabbits on farm can die very fast)... Also i know that even clothes produced from farm with contagious rabbits after long time still contagious.

In Moscow on rabbits forum the experienced people strongly recommend this vaccination, because u never know if virus will appear in city.

I dont know, may be this virus do not exist in USA? Or they just dont do this? What vaccinations doctors in USA use to do for rabbits?

I believe that the vaccinations are not required/recommended in the US because the disease really wasn't introduced to the continent. It was created by a European and then used rampantly in Australia as sort of pest control to decimate the rabbit population there. :( I think isolated cases happen here but it's not the kind of risk that rabbits face elsewhere in the world.

I am glad you can get to Dr. Saver and Dr. George. They are both wonderful.

Ok, I understand. I think I'l stilll try get it, because possible after couple years we will travel to Moscow.

What about other vaccination? What's kind of vaccination for rabbits in USA?

Just want to say thank for suggest Dr. Jennifer Saver and Laura George in LI. We had an emergency (bunny had been stop eat for 2 days) like a couple months ago and we visited doctor in LI.

She is very experienced with rabbits! Last 10 years she works only with rabbits and she is very profeccional. My bunny is ok and I'm glad I knew about this vet.

Latest posts

Back