Need some help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
Okay i got the worst news possable today, After my rabbit show i got told my only coming 2 year old mini lop is blind in 1 eye after going to the vets they said they can't see the back of his eyes (both of them) and that there is or seems to be a ruptcer on one of his eyes (bleeding on the back of the eye) the issue is. we don't know how long this has been going on and such.

I went to feed him tonight and he started making odd nosies going all odd and trying to jump out of his hutch :( and i am worried sick right now with this. I tried to lift him and he turned right at me (First time ever) and he almost fell over his bowl . This is the first time he has been like this and its since the vets shined a light in his eyes to check them out.....

I don't know what to do this is the first time any of my breeding/show rabbits have been blind and i don't have a clue how to look after them since i have four others in the house fine :(

It's tough when a promising young show rabbit develops medical problems. Before you make a decision, if you can, get a second opinion from another rabbit savvy vet. The thing is it could be genetic so I would be very hesitant to breed him, and you can't show him either. Not a good situation.

It's tough when a promising young show rabbit develops medical problems. Before you make a decision, if you can, get a second opinion from another rabbit savvy vet. The thing is it could be genetic so I would be very hesitant to breed him, and you can't show him either. Not a good situation.

The issue is he already has a son and daughter already the vets here don't deal with rabbits or are used to it, they want him to go to another vets that deal with rabbits, But sadly i don't have that type of money at the moment and i only just got new pet insurence out today, they don't know about him being blind or it won't cover anything :(

This is the issue i'm having since he has kits and another female is in kit soon from him

You need to see a vet who knows what they are doing. Rabbits can't be treated by regular vet, especially something as delicate as an eye problem. I know it is expensive but that's the risk when you have animals - I had to go to the vet three times outside of vaccinations this year and the money was pretty tight but what can you do? And, not to be mean, but you really shouldn't breed if you don't have the money to take care of the rabbits.

I don't think the issue is having money to treat him as much as he may have given this problem to his offspring...IF it's genetic. Sure, it would be great to find out the reason but if you can't then the safest thing to do is PTS and carefully watch the offspring. If you sell any of them you need to disclose this potential issue. Tough situation, but breeding and showing rabbits requires some hard decisions sometimes. We've had to make a few ourselves.

Latest posts

Back