Need some advice on buying another rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJSpanky

Reaction score
We have a roughly 6 month old female Dutch Bunny named Truffles. We want to buy another bunny for our little boy Corey. (It's a reward - long story) The pet shop we were going to buy it from had given us some advice on that, but they have since closed. My wife just talked with a rabbit breeder, and they advised not getting another female (which we had planned) since they, according to them, are territorial. The pet shop we were going to buy from disagreed with that, and had advised putting them together and seeing how they got along. They had a return policy if things didn't work out. This rabbit breeder also advised getting Truffles fixed if we got another rabbit, something that we'd like to avoid if we can. So I would appreciate any advice we could get on how to go about this, what to look for and such. Thanks!

The best option I believe is a neutered male and a spayed female but I really do think that either female or male can work. Whatever you do I would get both of the bunnies spayed/ neutered because the makes the whole process a lot easier.

If you cannot get your bunnies fixed obviously you would have to get two girls(unless you want babies) and although it can be difficult to bond it is not impossible just slowly get them more used to eachother.

Also I do agree with BunBuns Human that rescuing is a better option since you can get the bunnies already spayed and neutered which also means you will know their true personality!

Good luck
Hope I helped!!:biggrin:

Neuter before introducing a new bunny---way less problems and better chance of success. All of ours are rescues. Most shelters will let you do a "date" to see if they are compatible.

2 intact females can be hormonal and territorial. While some might get along, it really won't be a good relationship unless both are spayed.
I would not recommend just getting another rabbit, putting them together and seeing how they get along. That can be a recipe for disaster which can lead to fights, large vets bills and even death. Bonding can take weeks or even months before the rabbits are ready to live together peacefully.

You can get another rabbit and not keep them together. This does mean you son can get what he wants without having to worry about if the rabbits are comparable and get along. It would be terrible for him to get attached to a rabbit, but it has to be returned because the 2 rabbits don't get along. You will have to work to keep the rabbits separate, so different run times and the cages are set so they can't get at each other, but that is not too difficult.

I do agree with the breeder that your rabbit should be fixed if you want to have rabbits that live together. A neutered male would be the best option for a bonded pair.

I feel that where you get a rabbit is your choice. You should get one from a reputable place and you should feel good supporting that place weather it is a breeder, pet store or shelter. You need to find the rabbit for you.

Latest posts

Back