need opinions..advice.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
If anyone saw the thread about murphy...well ya. This is about murphy.

He was dropped off this am. He needs more care than she can give him. He needs meds twice a day via shot and she emotionally cannot handle it.

Took him to a different vet. This guy was a 4h kid ans raised buns for show now.
Murphy is on baytril, a stronger antibiotic for his uri. And a hard abcess was found under his arm, in the armpit area.

My options are this after his uri clears up:
1. See if antibiotics clear up abcess (highly unlikely)
2. Remove the abcess surgically...but the surrounding tissue could hold the bacteria the abcess was originally caused from. Or the veins have grown around it, causing a bleed. Or high risk of infection. Then hobble his forelegs to hopefully get them back to normal.
(At this point i was tasting blood from biting my cheek so i didnt cry)
4. Amputate. Would remove surrounding tissue and less chance of cutting into important veins. Quicker too.
5. Pts. Not an option. He said idk how attached you are but rabbits are dime a dozen. True..but murphy is a dime a dozen. He cuddles and licks you and craves attention.

So i kinda decided already amputation is best route. Just want someone to support this.
Also, for a young rabbit how likely is it that she may die during surgery? She is 4.4lbs. And around 3.5-4 months old.

64.jpg

Heis so cute...sorry you are having to deal with this. I can only imagine how you feel. I am hoping that the meds clear up the abcess as well. Sounds like you know in your heart what to do and the most important thing is you are giving him a chance.

I would think amputate is the best chance for him at this point. As far as dying in surgery, I wouldn't think his risk would be any higher just because of age or size?? I can't factor in the actual surgery risks but my lionhead weighs less than that and she will be spayed at around 4 months.

So sorry you are dealing with this.

I almost went through with an amputation for my bun, I didn't and she's all healed, but it sounds like you should go with amputation in your case. If there is already a large infection it can be very difficult to overcome and usually takes a long long time.

I talked to multiple vets when I was thinking about it and they all assured me how well rabbits do with amputation and that they adapted to it fast. In some cases not amputating the leg actually messes up their gait more because the injured leg can cause problems. The surgery itself isn't extremely difficult and as long as a rabbit savvy vet is doing it your bun will be fine. I'd make sure the vet has done amputations before. The vets told me they heal very quickly from an amputation as well. I even saw a little bun come in to get his stitches removed after having his leg amputated and he was hopping around happily. Another thing, your bun sounds pretty small which is a good thing. The smaller they are the easier it is for them. As far as the surgery, with any surgery there is risk (mainly with anesthesia) but tons of buns get spayed/nuetered all the time at that age and it's better to go through with the surgery then risk something else happening.

Not sure how helpful that was, good luck with Murphy he sounds sweet!

I loved watching murphy and kinda glad hes with me..or she. So used to saying he lol.. shes sweet and lovable, overall great personality.

I worked on the second level to their cage for awhile just to zone out and detach emotionally before weighing the options..so it would be based logically. Well in her situation amputating seems like a no brainer. I even without thinking started to add a side to the ramp so she couldnt fall off..lol.

In bed now with her browsing the kindle and she just lays on my leg like a dog, sighing now and then. And my throat chokes up. I want to do the best for my pets, but the question of quality of life catches me. I grew up ona farm, i was raised emotionally detaching for doing what needs to be done. As bad as that sounds.

But anyways i have a week to think about it, uri has to clear up first.

fuzz16 wrote:
I loved watching murphy and kinda glad hes with me..or she. So used to saying he lol.. shes sweet and lovable, overall great personality.

I worked on the second level to their cage for awhile just to zone out and detach emotionally before weighing the options..so it would be based logically. Well in her situation amputating seems like a no brainer. I even without thinking started to add a side to the ramp so she couldnt fall off..lol.

In bed now with her browsing the kindle and she just lays on my leg like a dog, sighing now and then. And my throat chokes up. I want to do the best for my pets, but the question of quality of life catches me. I grew up ona farm, i was raised emotionally detaching for doing what needs to be done. As bad as that sounds.

But anyways i have a week to think about it, uri has to clear up first.
So sorry you and your bunny are going through this. Truly feel amputation will be the best. And at 4 months, much stronger and can adapt better being that young.

Understand the detachment of farmers to their livestock. But after reading your posts, I hear a farmers concern and responsibility to the animal and pet owner who truly loves and wants what's best for her sweetie. I'd be agonizing on what to do. It's truly a hard decision.

Thoughts to this sweetie and you. Please keep us updated.

K:)

Thanks. Shots start today and ina week surgery. Ill keep a journal of it for furthrr reference to others so they know what to expect.

Latest posts

Back