Need Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanleysmommy

Reaction score
Okay so our heater just broke.
It's freezing over here, in the 30's or below, I'm not sure.

I don't know what to do about Stanley because it's already cold in the house and I'm not sure. How can I keep him warm? :(

He chews holes in pillowcases if they're in there and if I cover his cage with blankets he'll eat those too. Please help I don't know what to do and I don't want him to freeze!

I've put a box in there, maybe he'll get in it and that could help but I know it's not enough.

Ideas, please? And prayers. :pray:

First of all - I'm praying.

Secondly - do you have newspapers or hayyou can put in his cage? I'd put that in his cage for him to chew on - and then I'd cover his cage with a thick towel or blanket so he doesn't get drafts.

Also - do you have a lamp you can put beside his cage and leave it on? Maybe a table lamp? Or do you have a plug-in heating pad you could put under 1/2 of his cage (or 1/4) so he can choose to lay on the warmer area or not? Make sure it is on the LOWEST setting.

Peg

What type of rabbit is Stanley? I'm assuming he's inside and not outside...

BTW - if it makes you feel any better - my bucks are out in my garage (unheated) and it has been getting down pretty low for us here (30's) and they're doing just fine. But they can't get a draft where they are AND they have gotten used to the temperature gradually...that's my only concern with Stanley.

Peg

He's indoor. His cage is in my room. My parents went to get a couple electric heaters, and one will be in there.
How could I set it up to make sure it doesn't get too hot or stuffy? Leave my door open or shut? How close should it be?

I don't sleep in my room either because he's too noisy, so I won't be in there all night either.

Ok - first of all - I would put the heater AWAY from his cage....by at least 3 feet or so....and I would have it on a low or medium setting - NOT high. You don't want to risk a fire.

If you've got the heater - he'll probably be fine. If you didn't have the heater - I'd put a towel around his cage to keep out drafts.

Thirty degrees isn't overly bad for a rabbit - we've been having people talk about their rabbits outside in the -5 and below weather. The biggest thing to be concerned about - is drafts.

Do you have any oatmeal? Either instant or long cooking (but not flavored)? If so - I'd put a couple of tablespoons in with his food - or if you have black sunflower seeds. I say this because those are "hot" foods that help them have more calories if I remember right....and he will be burning off extra calories staying warm.

In fact - I'd give him an extra dose of food anyway - he will probably need a bit extra to help him create his own body heat. I normally give my bucks 1/2 cup - but with the garage being so much colder (around 30 or so I'm guessing right now) - I gave them the 1/2 cup plus about another 1/4 cup (or slightly less) since they need to stay warn. I also made sure they had some oatmeal and sunflower seeds since I keep them anyway!

Really though - 30 degree isn't that bad for Stanley - as long as he doesn't have a lot of drafts. Keep an eye on him - yes. But he looks like a healthy bunny that is a fairly large size - I don't think one night of low temperatures will really hurt him much since he is so healthy looking. It might be uncomfortable...but he should be fine!

Peg

Thank you so so much! I feel a lot better.

I have some quaker instant oats, and can give him more pellets and hay. He is healthy that's for sure....I'm about to fix the heater now. I'll update soon. :)

Ok:

He has hay
Pellets mixed with instant oats
a blanket over half his cage
a box
heater on medium, and away from his cage. I also gave him a piece of pineapple and he seems just fine. I'll be checking on him to make sure he's still okay and will leave updates every now and then. Hope we last until morning! :waiting:

Thanks so much for all the help Peg! :kiss:

how is the little Stanley. It sounds like he probably was going to have a better night then you did. If this happens again, just take a medium sized box (about two to three times bigger then the rabbit) and fill it three quarters full of hay and have a good sized hole cut in it. The rabbit will dig and snuggle his way into the box for warmth (rabbits naturally do this in fallen down clumps of grass in the wild). With a setup like that, he can safely eat it all and should be able to keep warm to well below freezing.

Hope you got sleep and you both kept warm.

James

:wave:

Hi Stanleysmommy. I've been missing Stanley! I would love to see some pics.

I hope you work everything out with your heater etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about Stanley, bunnies do very well in low temperatures. We keep our house very cold and I think the buns enjoy that.

I remember a very similar thread coming up a month or two ago...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10964&forum_id=1&highlight=heater

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10444&forum_id=1&highlight=heater

Thanks guys! :jumpforjoy:

Stanley's fine, he noticed nothing. (BIG surprise, there) :craziness
He apparently didn't get the point of my putting a box in his cage, as he flattened, then ate it.

Thanks Mr. Stee! We did sleep well, and were very warm. I was actually a little hot!

But we got the heater fixed this morning so it's all good.

JordiWes: I mean to get pictures up soon. Of course I always say that...hmm....
I think I can upload them now, but I'm not sure with my new camera so I'll have to figure that out. :dunno:
Thanks for the links. I was so scared and wanted help I didn't think to search.

Thank you for your concern, everybody! :bouquet:

Give Stanley a hug for me....eating that box...he's a bunny after Tiny's heart!

Peg

Latest posts

Back