need help with babies !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpc

Reaction score
I need to know how to get a doe to adopt anotherdoes babies The doe that I am trying to or want to adopt my new babieshas 2 3week old babies the new babies mom doesn'thave any milk or even seems to want the kits she had 11 but 2 have diedso far I took them out of the cage ( she had a nest box but did notbuild a nest or pull hair again) so is it posable for me to take thekits out to the other doe to feed

If they are the same age just put the new babiesinto the nest and keep the doe away from it for a while untill the newbabies get the scent on them. I have also heard of people using vanillaon the mothers noise so that way they can smell the new kits but I findthat it drives the does crazy to do that.

The kits are about a week away from the earliest that they can beweaned. If they are eating some food I would try to suppliment themwith evaporated milk, hay, and pellets. That usauly works well for you.In fact when I handraise kits they usauly will wean themselves in threeweeks for some reason they dont want to stay on the milk longer. Theyall do fine.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

kpc wrote:
I needto know how to get a doe to adopt another does babies The doe that I amtrying to or want to adopt my new babies has 23week old babies the new babies mom doesn't have any milk or even seemsto want the kits she had 11 but 2 have died so far I took them out ofthe cage ( she had a nest box but did not build a nest or pull hairagain) so is it posable for me to take the kits out to the other doe tofeed
Exactly how old are the babies you want to foster? Everything I've readsays that you can foster babies from one doe to another as long as thekits arent more than 12 days apart.

I fostered a kit from one doe to another, they were only a day apart. Idid use a drop of vanilla on thedoe's nose. She didnt seem tomind the vanilla and by the time the vanilla wore off....the fosteredkit had the right scent.

Lanna

the kits i need to foster were born 11/9/04 . iplaced them with my other mother and so far so good she is nursing themand caring for them i am keeping a close eye on them just in case ineed to take them away quick.so far she seems to have taken to themfine the kits mom will not nurse or take care of them she didn't make anest or pull hair when i checked on them yesterday and found the kitsthey were cold i did lose 2 of them but i got the rest of them warm andthey all lived throu the night and were very hungry this morning.

thanks for your help.

kim

Back