need help quick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny_girl

Reaction score
I receieved a dwarf rabbit for Valentine's dayand i have never had one nor do i have any idea how to care for one.please help :? pictures of housing would be awesome. What kind of food,bedding? Do i have to get it shots or anything at the vet? i am goingto be keeping it indoors, how to i bunny proof the apartment? can itrun around in my place like a dog or cat would do (i dont have those bythe way).how often do i feed it...etc etc. i am a lost sole. cansomeone help me please??????

An excellent start would be to linktoA Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care on thetopics/content window here. It will answer many of yourquestions, plus provide information regarding "questions" you haven'teven thought of yet.

After reading that and accessing some of the web sites suggested withinthere, come back and query us with any other things we might be able tohelp you with, or, come back and just "lurk" around and you'll stillprobably learn a bunch as well.

Welcome to the best rabbit forum around, that I know of!

Buck

i do have one more question..is it okay to getanother so this one is not lonely? and if so i am looking for a smallrabbit..what is the smallest one i could get and how big is that one?

Do the reading and site accessingsuggested first, before asking that question. The answer isnot as simple as you might think because there are many factors toconsider. When you have some foundation background, you'llbegin to see what I mean.

For now, I would suggest your learn how to care for the rabbit youhave. There is plenty of time left and many rabbits availablefor adoption should you decide to follow through on your desire to havemore than one rabbit in the not too distant future.

One or more of the links in the Cheat Sheet will provide you with breed differences information.

What I am suggesting in a nice way, is to do a little research on yourown at the link we have provided for you and then come back tous with any questions you might have. It will saveyou and us a lot of time and effort if you have some background so asto know what to ask that is important in case we have not provided youwith the necessary information in the Cheat Sheet.

Make a little effort now and it will pay off in major ways.

Buck

If you would like to get a second rabbit I would definately read up on your first rabbit first.

What sex is your current rabbit and how old is it? You willneed to have it neutered and I think they need to be 4-5months oldbefore you can do this. If it is male then you will stillhave to wait a further 4 weeks because they can still fertilise afemale rabbit 4 weeks after the op and if it is female she will needalot of peace of quiet after being neutered so I would leave it a whilefor this one to settle in. Like I said before email me and Iwill help with this when time comes.

Injections your rabbit will need are myxomatosis which can still effectindoor rabbits and VHD which can be brought in to the house byyou. Both of which are killer diseases :XNow wouldbe a good time to consider this, certainly before march where it is inits prime. They will need a booster jab every 6-12 months.

HTH

Welcome to the forum. I came here as a total rabbit beginner so I remember that feeling of panic :). It wears off.

What have you called your little one? I'd definitely go forkeeping him/her in a cage while very young and you're not there, justto keep it safe, the bigger the better really, but young rabbits liketo chew and eat all the wrong things which can easily be fatal. Mostpeople feed their rabbits once a day with unlimited hay available therest of the time and maybe another meal of greens if you build up veryslowly.

The main thing to remember is that young rabbits love to chew, thoughthey get better as they get older, so make sure s/he's got some safechewing toys like pieces of applewood or untreated wicker and anuntreated cardboard box with some holes cut out is a great favouritewith most rabbits.

I've got six house rabbits now, so obviously I think rabbits havingcompanions is a great idea :). But there are plenty of people on herewith just one very happy bunny. There are pitfalls to having two so asBuck rightly suggested it's worth taking a bit of time getting to knowand know about your little one before you get another.

Some rabbits bond really easily with each other, some take a whole lotlonger in time and effort to be friends, some never bond and some onlybond after they've both been neutered - which is necessaryanyway if you go for the bonding option with the best success ratewhich is male/female.

Although rabbits can be neutered very young around six months forfemales is what's recommended, and when the testicles drop for theboys. Boys can stay 'potent' for up to a month after their op so bewareon that one.

You'll only need vaccinations if you're not in the States.

Kate

Welcome to the forum :)

This is Nepo's cage, I'm planning on making one outside because of the room inside the house:

nepo024.jpg

If you're going to get a wire cage with a wirefloor, then you don't have to worry about litter training. But ifyou're not getting a wire floor instead plastic or something else, thenfigure out where he poos or pees the most inside the cage and put alitter box in that spot. You can get any litter except cat, cedar wood,or pine shavings.

If the bunny's younger than 7 months you shouldgive him pellets, alfalfa hay, and of course water. I the bunny's 7months or older, give him pellets, timothy hay, and water. When he's 12weeks you can introduce veggies. If he's 1 year old or older you canslowly introduce fruit.

To bunny proof the apartment, hide any wires andput cleaning products out of the bunby's reach. If you have plants putthem where the bunny can't reach so he doesn't eat them. And yes, hecan run around the apartment and you should supervise him so he doesn'tchew on carpet or furniture.

I don't know what type of bedding you can use since I don't use it.

This is a really good bunny website:http://www.rabbit.org you should readthe FAQ first it's really helpful. :)

Edit: Nepo is the only bunny I have and he'sreally happy. At first when I got himI thought he would buthe doesn't.I don't think your bunny will get lonely as longas you love him alot.

Thank you all above for being so solicitous ofour poster, bunny_girl, and offering that most excellentadvice. We occasionally get posters here who scream for helpin a panic stricken manner which, after you analyze the situation,reallyis nothing more than a request for you to "spell out"everything for them with minimum or no effort upon their part.

In A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care, our moderator has compiled oneof the best "short courses" on the topic to be found on the Internet,as far as I am concerned. Anyone seriously interested inlearning about rabbits would be well advised to give it a perusal, ifnot at least, a perfunctory glance. If someone does not havethe "time" to do that in the interests of their rabbit, I doquestion whether they will ever become a good "rabbiteer."

Some of these people arrive here knowing full well the answers to thequestions they ask, but they just want to see how "knowledgeable" themembers may be in order to ascertain if we measure up totheir expectations and/or standards....a little test, you see.

Some are PETA "snipers" and other ARA types looking for grist to chewover because this forum is open to ALL aspects of bunny fancying anddoes not promulgate anyone political/philosophicalagenda. We do not discriminate against pet owners, showers,breeders, nor meat producers and will give anyone room on the dais ofthe Forum. Some people don't like us for that quality andwould rather we adhere to their particular "party line," or not existat all.

Some are trolls, coming along to see what kind of angst and turmoilthey can foment for the pure deviltry of it, under the guise of a panicstricken newbie crying the sky is falling, the sky isfalling! When one replies, they attempt to take the threadinto argumentative directions in order to achieve their own ends.

Some are people who are in the midst of a genuine emergency,which is usually evident and apparent in spite of their panic strickentones and comments, for their request will be for help with a specificproblem and nota query to, "tell me everything,now!" Those people need, and are entitled to, any and allassistance that can be mustered immediately.

Other new rabbit owners will arrive here and calmly and graciously askfor information regarding rabbit care. When proffered same, they willnot object to doing some reading,will avail themselves of anylinks suggested, and are usually very appreciative. Somelinger around long enough to become a regular, to learn, and to sharewhat they have learned with us.

Not infrequently, you can tell which poster you have been dealing withby whether or not they remain around long enough to become a valuedcontributor themselves. You, Ladies and Gentleman, have beenvery kind in giving bunny_girl the opportunity to demonstrateher character and mettle.

Buck

Thank you everyone else for all your information.I have learned a lot from the site. Buck Jones is quite rude from whatI have read. I am now going to another forum because of the way he hastreating me coming into this site and from what I have read on otherpeople questions. Some people are new to this site and aren't familiarwith it and he has made me feel very unwelcome so I will be moving onand making sure other people I know do not come here. To all othersthat posted..I thank you.

Buck Jones wrote:
Thank you all above for being so solicitous of our poster,bunny_girl, and offering that most excellent advice.We occasionally get posters here who scream for help in a panicstricken manner which, after you analyze the situation,reallyis nothing more than a request for you to "spell"everything for them with minimum or no effort upon their part.

Buck
I don't know why but I love answeringnewbie questions, I always try to be the first one to their posts:p

bunny_girl wrote:
Thank you everyone else for all your information.... BuckJones is quite rude from what I have read. I am now going to anotherforum because of the way he has treating me...and from what I have readon other people questions....[H]e has made me feel very unwelcome so Iwill be moving on and making sure other people I know do not come here.To all others...I thank you.
Please note the lack of histrionics and the measured tone of the postthis time and the rapid exit, now, to go to another forum from someonewhojust hoursago was, "a lost sole[sic]" and had,"no idea how to care for," a rabbit.

I wonder if I struck a chord too close to the truth, or not?

Buck

Obvious you don't know Buck. I've knownhim for a year and have actually met him. He is a very nice person. Hewas just saying all your answers are in the cheat sheet.

Well, Howdy Do, SoccerMom! Long time nosee, no hear! Happy to have you in my corner,anytime. How is the family? Any scholarshipspending? How is the rabbitry doing? You are a sightfor sore eyes and a blast from the past!

Hope to connect with you and the hubby next time we visit LA.

Buck

We are doing good. Usually I can't keep up withthis forum. But I thought I'll check in. No Scholarships yet. Michelleis swimming and of course David is still doing soccer. We have atournament in Apr in Las Vegas. I lost 3 rabbits last week. i think twoof them had the entro coli thing. But they were away from my otherrabbits, and my favorite jersey has weeping eye, and think hair ball. Icouldn't save him, and I'm the one that found him. I lost it, and mykids had to take care of me. Never thought I would cry over a rabbit.

Next time you come we'll have a BBQ at my house. So, when are you coming???

He's the one I lost, wasnt he gorgeous.

bunny_girl wrote:
Thank you everyone else for all your information. I havelearned a lot from the site. Buck Jones is quite rude from what I haveread. I am now going to another forum because of the way he hastreating me coming into this site and from what I have read on otherpeople questions. Some people are new to this site and aren't familiarwith it and he has made me feel very unwelcome so I will be moving onand making sure other people I know do not come here. To all othersthat posted..I thank you.
Buck Jones is not mean at all. Maybeother newbies have said it since there has been a little tension in theforum lately.

Claudia wrote:
...I couldn't save him, and I'm the one that foundhim. I lost it, and my kids had to take care of me. Never thought Iwould cry over a rabbit.

Next time you come we'll have a BBQ at my house. So, when are you coming???

He's the one I lost, wasnt he gorgeous.

Glad most are doing well in your family, other than you,eh?Yeah, I know that feeling. We both cried a lotafter Maxwell departed us in April, last year. Some do grabyou that way, they are so, so special.

BBQ sounds great! Dunno when we will be there again, but I'mdefinitely getting the itch. Daughter just landed anexcellent job at UCLA and we are so thrilled for it is the first timeour "professional student" daughter will have a for-reallyprofessional, career type job involving a film study program at theuniversity! It is in the direction she has wanted to go foryears and an opportunity to meet influential film industrypeople. We are so excited for her that I'm ready to jump onthe big bird tomorrow!

Do I ever envy you guys' California weather. Our visit at theMuseum of Western Heritage was one of the high points of ourvisit. It was so cool that they let us remain after closingbecause we all were enjoying one another so much. It all justleft such wonderful memories in my mind of LA and Californiain general.

Don't be a stranger here. Capital posters, from around theworld. Several very erudite and personable breeders andshowers of all ages. It just gets better and better.

Carolyn just smacks down those trolls as quickly as they popup. NOT like the other place, if you recall? Theyare short lived here!

We just had some posts on M.E. and coccidosis, so check em out.

Anyway, it is a very pleasant surprise to see you in print again.

Buck

P.S. And, yes, he was all that!

Latest posts

Back