NEED a companion for my bunny....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlenenicole

Reaction score
I am looking for a companion for my netherland dwarf. I finally found a mini holland lop at a pet store just a little bit ago.I really really want this bunny! I did not look at the sex of the bunny.....(i told myself not to) I have 2 hours before they close...Is there anybody that has had a netherland and a lop together? If so, can they get along ok? Is there anybody with a lop that can offer some advice!! Thank u for any help u can give me!!

Darlene

I am sure that the breeds could mesh. But the problem is the personality of each bunny. You need to be prepared to house and care for them separately in case the bonding doesn't go well. Bonding is a long process. You can't just put the new bunny in the old bunny's cage tonight and expect everything to go well. And also, the bunnies should both be spayed or neutered before you begin bonding,even if they are the same gender. Other members on this board may be of more help as my bunnies came to me bonded, and I have never actually tried to bond two bunnies. Although, I have to admit that bonded bunnies look so cute together, as you can see in my avatar. They are actually mother and son, that is why I didn't need to bond them.

I've had it go both ways with introducing a new rabbit to the herd. The first time, I brought in a baby doe to a mature buck (he was neutered). It went well, love at first sight.

However, when I brought the third rabbit in, who was a buck, the doe DID NOT take to him and it took me several weeks to bond them.

My advice to you for now is to make sure you have an extra cage for the new rabbit. That obviously means an extra of everything. I wouldn't just throw them together and wish for the best. It may work out, but chances are they won't. You also shouldn't just put a new rabbit in with the old, until you're sure it has nothing contagious it can pass on to your original rabbit.

If, however, you do decide to get a new rabbit (and there is nothing wrong with that!), and they don't bond right away, PM me and I'll be happy to help out. I have three rabbits all in one cage, all happily bonded.

Thank u Stephanie and bunnydude!! My two older bunnies were bonded whenI got them but they do not get along with Ruby (my netherland) so they are separated. I feel rotten because Ruby is by herself all day and has nobody to play with until I get home. Ruby is not spayed yet... I want to wait until she gets a little bit older. Any body have any ideas on bonding?

Is Ruby neutered? If not, I wouldsuggest that should be done first. Also, are there sheltersthat have rabbits in your area? They often spay/neuter theirrabbits and can do "play dates" to help find a rabbit that will getalong with yours. It may be easier than taking home a petstore rabbit, and would prevent accidental breeding.

You will still need a separate cage at first. Then you canintroduce them in an area neither has been in (called neutralterritory) until they get along well. Then move to lettingthem play in territory they have been in before. Finally, youcan do "test runs" of them in one cage while you are home.

HI

I thought my Rue would like a buddy, but i was wrong! i haven't trulygiven up the idea of bonding them, but at the moment the are separated,and it is alot of work. i learned that while i thought Rue was lonely,she really was quite content being the boss of the house.

i hope it works out...what ever you decide.

Nicole

Latest posts

Back