Natural Yogert & Papaya

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnieRosanna

Reaction score
Our vet recommended crushing1/2 largepapaya tablet and mix with yogert to syringe orally to our bunnies, to help them with their shedding and gas problems.

Is yogert safe? I would use organic plain/natural, no flavouring/added sugar.

All four are going through terrible shedding, and our big girl Callie has a slightly distended stomach from an x-ray taken recently after she'd had some gas. Nothing some simethicone and tummy rubs didn't fix, but now we need preventative food!

I've read that pineapple juice might work also and pumpkin?

She doesn't take the tablets herself grrrrr ;)

wow, all four of my kids think the papaya tablets are the greatest things. They eat them like a human kid eats candy. My vet doesn't like yogert for bunns *shrug* I'm not sure if it will hurt them or not. I will give small fresh pineapple chunks when they are molting and that is also very popular.

Best of luck.

I would stay away from yogurt. Rabbits can't digest dairy products and it can do more harm than good. Even the ones that have pro biotics are not good.
The effectiveness of papaya is debatable. Some people swear by it while others say it is useless. I do not use it and don't have issues, even with my long haired rabbits. Many of them do have added sugar which is not good for rabbits either. If you are going to use it, I would just syringe it with water or some children's hydration drink, these are much better for a rabbit.

I would just push hay and get them to eat lots of it. This is natural and effective in helping to keep the gut moving which pushes out ingested fur.
Water and making sure they stay hydrated is also important.

I have to disagree about the yogurt. Many yearsago around 12 and half to be precise we took Buttercup to a very well know Small Animal Clinic. I was told to give BioBest Natural yogurt when Buttercup was having Digestive problems.

Honestly over the past 12+ years I have used the yogurt on all of my bunnies with no ill effects, Buttercup will be 13 on August 8th.

The Vet also told me about the papaya tablets, I buy the ones for humans which are probably a lot cheaper. Bulk Barn sells them.

I have also squeezed the juice out of the pineapples, as it has been said you need the natural pineapple juice.

Really who knows what is right or wrong. I guess it's what works for your bunnies and Yogurt works for mine.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back