Nail Trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Well tomorrow I'm planning on clipping myrabbit's nails. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. They really need tobe clipped as they have gotten pretty long and sharp. I have a problemwith clipping nails though, since I was clipping my dogs nails lastyear and accidently went into the quick when he pulled and itstarted bleeding :(.

With that said, I'm so scared to clip her nails as she is so tiny andI'm afraid to clip them as her nails are black. I've read you can use aflashlight to highlight the quick, but wouldn't that scare her?

I'm going to get my mom to help me for tomorrow, and just to beprepared is there anything I can do if there is an accident? I thinkI'm just more scared of doing it then it is with her as she is such apatient little girl! Any suggestions? I don't think I would be able totake her to the vet and get him to clip them, as my mom said it'd be a10 minute job for us, and it would save us the 40$!

He shouldn't really notice the flashlight. Notenough to scare him, anyway. If you're afraid of cutting the quick, goslow. No need to trim that short. It's best to do a bit at a time everyweek or so to get the quick to retract a bit, then start doing every 6weeks-ish. If the nails have been left too long, the quick grows alongwith it. In this case, the best action is to take it slow like I said.

If bleeding does occur, there are several methods of stopping thebleeding. I think baking soda will do it but don't quote me onthat one. There's also anti-septic pens you can buy at pet stores.

my Kweli has dark nails, for her it's a threeperson job. a bunny burrito, with one person holding, one person forthe flashlight and one to clip. i am terrified of cutting the quick soi clip very little, good luck,

Nicole

I was thinking about the Bunny Burito method asit worked pretty well with syringe feeding just not sure how I couldget all her feet out maybe only wrap her body?

:ponder:

I just can't stand cutting theirnails! I usually do maybe just a few nails a day and take just a littleoff at a time. With some of mine I roll them in a towel but a few I cando right side up. Its really a lot better if you can have help doing it.

I'm planning to get my mom to help as she's abit more stern about my little darling. When we were syringe feedingher she would refuse to open her mouth and struggle, but with a fewstern looks from grandma she got the point that it wasn't time to seehow many times mommy could say "It's ok, it's alright"! Sheesh! It'sjust she knows exactly what buttons to push to get sympathy, cuddlesand a treat for something she doesn't want to do! Those rabbitsi'l tell you!;)

I like to sit in a computer chair and just letthem sit on my lap. I'll gently pull one foot out at a time and clip. Ifind it to be less of a hassle and no wrestling with a towel.

I'll try that tooi but she usually tries toclimb up to get onto my shoulder as that's where she usually lies downwhen i'm on the couch or skitters to go run around. illy girl... :D

Both of mine seem to instantly calm down iftheir faces are covered. I have them wrapped up in a bunny burrito andthen drape a washcloth over their faces and they go into like aninsta-trance. I also keep treats on hand and they know that if theystay still they get a treat after every foot is done.

I would def. have at least two ppl for your first time ...someone tohold and you to cut ....I would also suggest getting a penlight (yourlocal pharmacy probably sells them).. it is a more concentrated lightand also alot less bulky to hold underneath the nail than a regularflashlight.

I can do all my bunnys nails without incident...except for my big boy
Nanuk. I rescued Nanuk from a 3 month stint in a tiny petcage where he had not been excersised or handled so as you couldimagine he is not confident about being picked up at all. You can pethim, stroke him, let him jump in your lap but if his feet leave theground and it's not his decision...watch out!! Doing his nails isalmost an impossibility. He gave me a sharp reminder today about hisnumber one rule. dont pick me up! ;)

Tempted to pick me up mum?

handsomeboy.jpg

Wrong!!

bunnykruger2.jpg

I might try the face covering thing next time. And a kevlar suit..lol :)

Loretta

Styptic pencils are supposed to help stop anybleeding that may occur. When I trim my pets' nails, I tend to cutbefore the 'arch' of the claw to try and avoid the quick in darkernails. I had the same type of thing happen as you with my dog once;accidentally cut into the quick - and boy, did she let me know it! Itcan be rather painful when that happens...and I felt horrible. She hasblack, very thick claws which are hard to trim...and the quick in hernails are quite long (when I adopted her it seemed as if she'd neverhad a trim done in her life). One of Raph's (my rabbit's) claws seemsto have a long quick as well, so I'm careful with that one and don'ttrim it back quite so short as the others. I agree with theothers...take it slow and just do a little at a time, and having yourmom help sounds like a great idea.Good luck with the trim!

(Loretta...OUCH!!!)

Hi Spring!

Cornstarch will stop the bleeding if you should happen to clip the quick.

BEFORE you start, make sure you have a small cup with some cornstarchin it...another cup with some water in it...and a bunch of Q-Tips. Ifyou clip the quick STAY CALM...dip the Q-tip in the water....then intothe cornstarch..and then apply to the tip of the nail. The bleedingwill stop in a few minutes and the bunnie probably won't be very upsetabout it.

We use two people when clipping nail. We also opt for the burritomethod. One person hold the bunnie and presents paws for clipping. Theother person uses a small Maglite to backlight the nails and does theclipping.

As mentioned, if the nail are long and the quick has grown withthem....go slow and whittle a bit away at a time. The quick will recedeand you can clip the nails again in a few days. Repeat until the nailsare an appropriate length.

Oh yes..treats (dried papaya or rolled oats)are given after clipping or if we have to take a break during.

clem_rosey_snuggle wrote:
I might try the face covering thing next time. And a kevlar suit..lol :)

Loretta

OUCH!!

I forgot to mention that the "holder" on our team wears a heavy longsleeve denim shirt, buttoned all the way up ;).

~JimD

OH Lorri , I totally sympathize with htecuts and scratches . I dont mind the cuts but its them nasyburning smarty scratches that are the worse.

bunnykruger2.jpg

This and my experience with unclipped nailsis one very good reason to wrestle andstruggle or have well behaved buns ormake it a 2 person job . Mostof my rabbits are a One person clip , but there aresome who just wont behave long enough togetthe job done with out bleeding .

I only have use of 9 fingers andcan very easily and sucessfully trim nails on myown , its all a matter of Proper cutting tools.

This is a prime example of what 10 lbs of angry rabbit can do when nails are left to get too long .

IM000109.jpg

According to one Dr I saw after it hadstarted to heal , said a minimum of 9 stitchesshould have been placed , He barely missed theveins in my wrist .

:shock:What do chainsaws and bunnies have in common??

Latest posts

Back