Nail Clipper!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover134

Reaction score
Hey everyone. does someone know how to sharpen the nail clippers? My poor babies are getting pretty long finger nails but when I went to trim them the cutter part wasn't sharp so they didn't exactly cut their nails. Does anyone know how to sharpen them, since it costs like $18.00 at my vet to cut their nails! I'd rather spend the money on toys for them. Hehe!

do they look like any of these nail clippers?

4258312510B.jpg

or

product-7252.jpg

(i got those pics off of google.com)

If they do look like any of those, then i dont know if you can sharpenthem. I have the top pair and when they get dull (which is after a longtime, they are usually SUPER sharp) then i just go out and buy new ones.

~Amy

Ayglnu13, I have the top pair too. I justbuy the replacement blade. I've had them for a year now and just recently replaced the blade. Do you buy the blade or whole newclippers?

I don't know how to sharpen the ones in the second picture. Sorry I couldn't help..

Tina

I didnt know that you could buy replacmentblades...i should have thought of that. I usually just replace thewhole thing, its only like $6. I have never seen replacment bladesaround here, but I am sure they have them somewhere.

well thanks everyone!! they look like the ones inthe 2nd pictures..well not the handle but the blade is the exact same.well whats the name of a good nail cutter. then i can go buy anotherone.

bunnylover134 wrote:
well thanks everyone!! they look like the ones in the 2ndpictures..well not the handle but the blade is the exact same. wellwhats the name of a good nail cutter. then i can go buy anotherone.
These are avaialbe from PetSmart for $5.99, made by Groomax, and can be found in the cat section.

:~) Jim

inP031158_13c01.jpg

These are the ones I use. PetSmart $4.99

All of our buns are medium to small in size so these work well for us.I also find that with my fingers through the handle holes I am stillable to use that hand to manipulate rapidly moving bunnie feet (bunsseem to sprout at least 20 extra feet when it's time for clippin':shock:)... .and I tend to drop the clippers a lot less, too.

ayglnu13 wrote:

The style above have always been my favorites, however there appears to be a lack of quality in them recently and the new pairs that I have purchased do not work well, and do not cut completely through the nail. I have now been using the plier style cutters.

Pam

Ya i have the first ones and they dont workreally well, like they dont cut right or the dont cut at all....seemslike it is time for me to go and buy a new type of nail clippers!

ayglnu13 wrote:
Ya i have the first ones and they dont work really well,like they dont cut right or the dont cut at all....seems like it istime for me to go and buy a new type of nail clippers!
Sharp clippers are mandatory in my book.

Dull clippers have resulted in crushed and split nails, or not cut completely through and tore nails to the quick.

I always check to make sure the clippers are sharp and working properlyBEFORE starting a clip session. Ideally I would like tohave a new pair stashed away just in case.

bunnylover134 wrote:
so theres not really any way to sharpen them? im just gonnahave to buy a new pair?
You could attempt to sharpen them, however the surface is a flatsurface and would have to be ground almost perfect to provide theproper cutting edge. I sharpen a lot of my own tools and it takes a lotof experience to work an edge like these cutters have.

IMO... ..I think it would be worth just buying a new pair.

Before you buy new ones, check to insure the two blades bear down on one another with sufficient force to produce a clean cut.

I, too, made the move over to the second type fairly recently and foundthat the securing nut had worked its way loose, permitting too muchslack between the blades to produce a clean cut.

The pair I bought had a "securing" clip to hold the blades closed whennot in use that I had to remove because it got in the way atinopportune moments. Similarly, a "nail guide" that preventeda nail from being cut too short may have worked well for dogs, but forbuns in was a pain in the neck and obscured vision of the nails attimes. That went bye-bye, too.

Part of the problem might be we are all buying "retail" stuff for petowners with a commensurate pet owner quality. I wonder howmuch a "professional" nail clipper would cost and if the value might bebetter in the long run?

Buck

well thanks for everyones help! i think im justgoing to go to the pet store and buy new ones. Hopefully i wont see anybunnies b/c then i probably wont leave without them! Yea i wonderinghow much a professional pair would be or where you would get them.

Buck Jones wrote:
Part of the problem might be we are all buying "retail"stuff for pet owners with a commensurate pet owner quality. Iwonder how much a "professional" nail clipper would cost and if thevalue might be better in the long run?

Buck
I found these on a vet supply site... PetEdge.com

tp617_f.jpg

spacer01.gif

Master Grooming Tools Premium Ergonomic Nail Trimmers Designed for Comfort and Control
spacer01.gif

These Professional Nail Trimmers were made with the professional inmind. The innovative ergonomic handles are shaped to fit your hand andare covered with double-bonded, ribbed, non-slip rubber that won't comeoff—ever! They provide a secure and comfortable grip that is essentialfor safe, accurate nail trimming, while greatly reducing the risk ofinjury caused by repetitive motion. Features long-lasting, heavy-dutyspring action. Ultra sharp hardened steel cutting blades have aRockwell Hardness rating of 50 to cut through nailseffortlessly. Trimmers also feature a safety guard to help preventcutting the nail too deeply. Large size may also be used for dockingtails and dewclaw removal. Now you can trim nails with greater speed,accuracy and efficiency! Attractively packaged for retail sales.Includes lifetime warranty. Comes in 2 sizes: small for $4.99and large for $5.99.

If these are truly professional and better quality, then I think we are probably wasting some money on the store brand.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back