Myxomatosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Em

Reaction score
ok so i just got a run for austin so he can gooutside for the first time in his life but we have alot orwildbunnies all over where i live doi needtogethim injected against myxomatosisorwill he be ok. thewild rabbits have been known to go in ourgarden and the last thing i want is himto get that its nasty!any help greatly received .

Em x

From what I understand, myxomatosis (sp) is only vaccinated in Europe, right?

I'd definitely get the vaccine if there's anychance at all of him coming in contact with wild rabbits and theirfleas - which is the way the disease is transmitted. The wild rabbitpopulation was pretty much wiped out round here last autumn by myxythough I've noticed a few young ones again recently.

Something to be aware of is that the vaccine doesn't always work,especially (apparently) on larger rabbits so making sure that he's gotas little chanceas possible of catching it as well asvaccinating him is probably a good idea. In high risk areas every sixmonths is recommended.

Also if he's outside with wild rabbits around you really want to gethim vaccinated against Viral Haemorrage Disease (VHD) which is ahorrible and fatal illness that rabbits can get and can be transmittedvery easily, much more easily than myxy. I believe that vaccine iseffective whatever the size of rabbit.

Good to see you posting again, how is Austin?

Kate

It came from South America where it was harmless,but it was found to have fatal consequences to European wild rabbits.It was introduced deliberately as a control method to Europe andAustraliato cull the wild rabbit population. Obviously italso affects domestic rabbits :(.

Kate

I knew it! All that reading is finally teaching me something. Hehe!

Rowan wrote:
I'ddefinitely get the vaccine if there's any chance at all of him comingin contact with wild rabbits and their fleas - which is the way thedisease is transmitted. The wild rabbit population was pretty muchwiped out round here last autumn by myxy though I've noticed a fewyoung ones again recently.

Something to be aware of is that the vaccine doesn't always work,especially (apparently) on larger rabbits so making sure that he's gotas little chanceas possible of catching it as well asvaccinating him is probably a good idea. In high risk areas every sixmonths is recommended.

Also if he's outside with wild rabbits around you really want to gethim vaccinated against Viral Haemorrage Disease (VHD) which is ahorrible and fatal illness that rabbits can get and can be transmittedvery easily, much more easily than myxy. I believe that vaccine iseffective whatever the size of rabbit.

Kate
thank you kate Austin is fine hes just started malting so ihave fur everywhere! im brushing him twice a day but he seems to have anever ending supply lol

Rowan wrote:
Something to be aware of is that the vaccine doesn't always work,especially (apparently) on larger rabbits so making sure that he's gotas little chanceas possible of catching it as well asvaccinating him is probably a good idea.
Kate
The vaccine isn't effective against all strains of Myxo, and there hasbeen some concern over vaccinated rabbits succumbing to more recentvirulent strains.

Pam

what can i do to prevent him getting anything else once hes been vacinated?

also is there anything else i should be worried about as he has neverbeen out side before i mean ive taken him out for little walks but hesoly been out for 10 mins at a time is there anything i need to do forhim?

im sorry if i seem parranoid but i have already lost one bunny due toill health and i really dont want to loose Austin i love him so much!

Em x

The disease is most commonly spread bymosquitoes, so keepingbunny in during the evenings would beone of the most effective ways to prevent the disease.

Fleas may also spread the disease.

Pam

Rowan wrote:
I'ddefinitely get the vaccine if there's any chance at all of him comingin contact with wild rabbits and their fleas - which is the way thedisease is transmitted. The wild rabbit population was pretty muchwiped out round here last autumn by myxy though I've noticed a fewyoung ones again recently.

Kate

Just a quick word of warning. VHD is not just a rabbit torabbit disease. You can bring it home to himaswell.

jack&hetty wrote:

Just a quick word of warning. VHD is not just arabbit to rabbit disease. You can bring it home to himaswell.

Really? I hadn't heard that!

Rose

Rowan wrote:
Lissa, you're right you don't have it in the US but Europe and Australia both do.

Kate

We actually don't have a vaccine against Myxo here in Australia, why I don't know but we do have the virus here and no vaccine.

I have asked 4 vets in our area and they have all said there is novaccine available here, we do have a vaccine for calici virus though(Bindy got her injection about 1 month ago)

I have been told that if you were to put some bathroom crystals in adish above the hutch mozzies don't seem to go into the hutch (wetheryour bunny is inside or out there is still a risk of myxo so I was toldby a vet)

I honestly think after reading and talking to family members who arefarmers that Myxo was one of the crulest diseases ever released,unfortunately people seemed to think it'd fix the problem.

1 of the vets in my area is in talks with the CSIRO (research laboratories here in OZ to see why we don't have the myxo vaccine)

rabbitgirl wrote:
jack&hetty wrote:

Just a quick word of warning. VHD is not just arabbit to rabbit disease. You can bring it home to himaswell.

Really? I hadn't heard that!

Rose

The VHD virus appears to be easily spread on shoes, clothing, car tires, equipment, etc.

Pam

Latest posts

Back