My young male english spot rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
4211_578679451572_199108334_3392187.jpg

This is Charlie. When I got him in the middle of May, I didn't know anything about him. The previous owners didn't even know his gender. So after research i've done, i've come to the conclusion that he's an english spot rabbit, though he doesn't have the traditional spots on his sides or face, though they are quite similar.

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if there is any rule of thumb as to how one can estimate the age of a rabbit? I was told that he was about 2-3 months when I got him this May, though I think he may be a bit older. He is still quite little, though.

Any help would be wonderful. Or any advice you have for a first-time bunny owner :) Thanks everyone!

Jamie and Charlie

From looking at him, I am guessing you have a mini rex rabbit with a broken pattern. The broken pattern is what creates the spots. I suspect rex fur as it looks very plush and soft. Rex fur only has one length of hair, the guard hairs and under-fur are all the same length. Also, does he have crazy curly whiskers or non-existant whiskers?

If he is mini-rex, I would pin him about about 4-5 months old in the picture.

How much does he weigh right now?

--Dawn

Wow, that's really helpful. I would have continued to think he's an english spot...I feel foolish :) If I had to guess, he only weighs about 4 or 5 pounds, he's pretty little. But then again, this is coming from someone who has never owned a rabbit!

OhGollyCharlie! wrote:
Wow, that's really helpful. I would have continued to think he's an english spot...I feel foolish :) If I had to guess, he only weighs about 4 or 5 pounds, he's pretty little. But then again, this is coming from someone who has never owned a rabbit!

Don't feel bad I still have a lot of trouble with breeds and look how many posts I have

I do know that the rex fur is very plush soft and smooth

he is gorgeous boy

He most definitely has amazing fur, and he's got quite a personality. I had anticipated that rabbits weren't that witty but he's definitely got a sense of humor! He knows when he's been naughty. He sometimes acts like a dog, and that absolutely cracks me up!

I was just having internet installed into my apartment and Charlie was running around. The internet guy was quite interested in him, and said that him and his family used to raise rabbits. The more and more I talked with him about bunnies, I find out that his family raised soft, velvetty bunnies for awful reasons...after that I just wanted him to leave-and stay far from Charlie! Yikes!

I was going to say that he's a mini rex based on his fur and the short little curly whiskers. Don't feel bad about not knowing the breed. We got a rescue from a shelter. They told us she was a couple of years old. Looked like an english spot. The problem we had is she kept growing and growing. Turned out she's a checkered giant and now weighs 17 pounds. She is HUGE!! But, she is a very sweet and affectionate Rabbit--loves to sit on your lap and get rubbed.

It definitely makes more sense to me now. There is a ribbed stripe down the center of his back but it's not a solid stripe. And it's obvious to me now that he doesn't have the same markings as an english spot.

Latest posts

Back