My website

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weebly is like $40 a year.
----------------
I think the basket is a good background. :) With my pictures I go outside and take them on the picnic table in our backyard. lol So you see all the trees and stuff behind them. :) I do like the basket better than using a towel or something. lol

I want to get some nice pics by the trees but I am going to wait until everyone is a bit bigger because huck still looks like a little baby and scarlett is a ball of fluff. I am really hoping she sheds some of that mane out.

countrybuns wrote:
Okay I just wanted to thank everyone for their advise and input!!

Thank you Peg you have great insight and it was a pleasure to take in your advise. I have to agree when I see the .webs ect I assume new breeder or not very serious not saying I am right but that it my initial assumption. I was quite dissapointed when I looked at a cod holder's site and it was a .something instead of owning the domain.

I think once the site is in better shape and I have all my pics up ect I will purchase the domain.

Briana i checked out weebly after webs but I might transfer it there if I can buy a domain there because I know with webs you can buy the domain for like 8.95 a month it also includes the template and support ect.
I'm not sure which holder you're talking about - I'm assuming one of the ones in line behind Theresa...but yeah...I would think that would be unusual.

As Turtle was saying - you could buy the domain name - and then have it pointed to your website on whatever you use...while the ads might still be on your site if its a free site - at least it makes it easier for folks to find you.

As far as the basket, etc. - I think stuff like that is cute - don't get me wrong. I used to try for stuff like that and I had two or three breeders contact me and mention that they wished I wouldn't do stuff like that because it detracted from them being able to study the rabbits. I was sorta shocked - because the rabbits they mentioned (not at the same time) - were not for sale.

As it turned out - they were studying the parents' pictures in order to see how they felt the babies would mature...and in one case - they had gone back to the grandparents' pictures too.

Since these were both breeders who could ask $150 and up for their rabbits...and get it...I decided that I would take pictures like they were describing. After I did that - I started getting more sales from other breeders.

Ok - so it didn't hurt that one of them had worked with a photography studio and mentioned what colors would go good with certain colors of rabbits, etc. based on her experiences (and no - I don't have my notes anymore).

Anyway - just sharing my thoughts and opinions - and like I've shared before - we all have opinions - they're like feet - some stink (and probably should be kept covered).

If you like something else and it expresses your personality - by all means - go for it.

A domain name is nice, but I've been breeding for years and still haven't caved. I get plenty of views and personally don't skip over sites just because of what they end with. I'm not making money here, so I'd rather not put another rather unnecessary expense into my rabbits unless it will help THEM out. I think as long as you have a professional template or design, most breeders would be just as likely to come back, regardless.

Here is my site on Weebly, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://oakridgerabbitry.weebly.com/

:)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
A domain name is nice, but I've been breeding for years and still haven't caved. I get plenty of views and personally don't skip over sites just because of what they end with. I'm not making money here, so I'd rather not put another rather unnecessary expense into my rabbits unless it will help THEM out. I think as long as you have a professional template or design, most breeders would be just as likely to come back, regardless.

I've always loved your site Julie. :bunnyheartSo cute! Your graphics are so lovely. :)

I don't look over the sites just because of what they end with because I use the same things and tried out other free sitesand even if I end up buying a domain, I knew that's where I started and that's where I stayed for a while so it doesn't make me think any less of breeders.

And yeah I seem to be doing fine with my .weebly so I don't think I will buy a domain any time soon. Like Julie said, it seems like an unnecessary expense. I could be doing other things with that $8 a month or $40 a year.

Still, most domains are under ten bucks a year. The other ENORMOUS benefit is that if your free or low-cost hosting site goes dark (yes, it's happened... how many of you used to have sites on GeoCities back in the day?) or changes their policies or does something you don't like, you just move your site somewhere else, make a couple of minor changes to the redirection on your domain, and your customers never know the site has moved. Sure beats having to have all your cards reprinted and letting potentially hundreds of people know that your email address changed.

We own myrabbits.org and I am tempted to offer wabbit people cheap email addresses in the myrabbits.org domain that would forward the email to their regular address, for that same reason.

I will not say which breeder it was as I don't want to insult them on RO but it was not the current holder obviously not Theresa.

Now that I look at the pic I have to agree that it is abit distracting and that it might work behind a darker rabbit but not a sable point like Huck. I am going to retake pics soon anyways because Scarlett's pic is still the one from her breeder and the other two I wasn't entirely happy with.

As far as buying a domain name I think it is a personal choice and some might see not having one as a bad thing while others might not care. I personally want to buy my own domain name maybe not right now because I am busy trying to get the rabbitry itself established among the business of my non-rabbit life. I do want to buy the domain before I start breeding them but no breeding will take place until the fall so i will focus on building my website to where I want it and then buy the domain name. I would rather pay the monthly fee then buy it and have the ridirect to my site but again personal choice.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

I think you have one of the most informative sites for articles on hollands. I read the two articles you have and learned so much - I'm going to reread them and bookmark them and go over them several more times - especially since I'm just now getting into hollands.

TinysMom wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

I think you have one of the most informative sites for articles on hollands. I read the two articles you have and learned so much - I'm going to reread them and bookmark them and go over them several more times - especially since I'm just now getting into hollands.
Thank you! And I am really glad they helped you. I have been trying to compile some articles that are not the everday kind of information that's all over the internet. So if you have any ideas for something you haven't seen that would be helpful and informative, please let me know! It's hard to sort through my own mind and decide what is useful and what's not.:p So I really appreciate suggestions!

Julie - the crown on a holland is really hard for me...I've read some articles on it - but I'd love to see something more detailed with pictures...(hint, hint).

As an aside, we'd like a mention on any Holland site for the incredible Mr. Fred: World's Largest Holland Lop(tm):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/4116134743_2cb243f6bb.jpg

Senior buck Hollands are supposed to be four pounds, right? Fred is SEVEN POUNDS. This is what happens when a Holland is around Flemish.

Latest posts

Back