My recently spayed female.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlenenicole

Reaction score
I had Leilu spayed 4 days ago. She is bondedwith my nuetered male, after I got her spayed, I seperated them, justto let her heal, and so he dosent jump on her or accidently hurt her inany way. Anyways, I brought her home, and she didnt eat anything maybeone raisin, for like a day and a half. I was worried so I talked to thevet and she said that due to her age (2 years) and size (about 7pounds) she said to give it a few more days and she will be back to hernormal self. Well today, I was sitting next to her and her tummy wasgrowling really loud. I made her eat some hay, and then I gave her moreraisins. and then some Cilantro (which she chowed down) and her tummyis still growling. The vet said to keep enticing her with her favoritefoods. She is not eating her pellets at all. Is this normal for olderfemales, or could she be depressed cause she is not with her buddy,or Idont know what to think. Has anybody ever had this problem, should iget her some vitamins?

Thank you for any advice

Darlene

Can you put the two together for supervised playtime? Maybe being with your buck could get her active and watching himeat will entice her. Have her favourites handy and try to mix in somehay/pellets as well.

I had this problem with Mocha, my Polish, when Ispayed her at about 4 months of age. Did your vet give youpainkillers for her? It sounds like she needs them.Also, pick up some Nutri-Cal if you don't have any. It's avitamin and calorie supplement and appetite booster made forcats and dogs that also is good for rabbits. Just squish alittle on her paws so she has to lick it off.

As long as she's eating something, it's okay. The most important thing is to keep her eating.

Naturestee, where can i get some of thatnutrical, is it something that I can find at petstores or is itsomething i need to get from a vet? The only petstores around here arePetland, Petsupplies plus, and Petsmart. Thank you!(Also, the vet didnot give me any painkillers, i was wondering about that)

Shuu, about how long should i keep them seperated, it has been four days now. She just seems so depressed. Thank you!

I would start by putting them together duringthe day when they can be watched. If she seems like she's feelingbetter and he's not bothering her, I don't see why they can't be backtogether. I'd just advise checking her incision often - before you puther in with him; a few times when they're together; after they'reseperated - to make sure it's not been touched. Keep this up for acouple days.

I am sorry to be bothering you with all of thesequestions Shuu, I am sure a lot of people have this problem, she doesnot like to be picked up much or bothered her best pal is Corbin, and Irespect that. I try and get a look whenever she is laying down on herside, how do you check it? I never went through this with my male. Iquess every thing is bothering me right now. When I took Leilu in toget her spayed I also took in my male netherland dwarf and my femalemini lop...unfortunaltly I lost My baby mini lop...I am walking on eggshells right now. thank you so much for your advice.

An easy way to do it yourself is to back her upagainst you and just lift up her front legs. Lean over the side of herbody and check it. All it takes is a quick look to make sure it's notred or bloody. Give her a treat afterwards as well to let her know shedid a good job.

Shuu wrote:
Aneasy way to do it yourself is to back her up against you and just liftup her front legs. Lean over the side of her body and check it. All ittakes is a quick look to make sure it's not red or bloody. Give her atreat afterwards as well to let her know she did a good job.

When Mocha was spayed, I would hold a treat above her head to get herto stand up a little. It was enough to get a quick look.

I bought my Nutri-cal at Petsmart, in the dog medicine aisle.

Well as I remember my buns were kinda spaced outafter the operation. They were just crouching there for hours and notmoving much even to get a drink. What I did was to hand feed them andput the water right under their noses. I noticed tehy were notinterested in pellets for about 2 days but prefered hay. Their cageswere stacked so they could smell each other. After about 4 days I letthem out for short periods so they could hang out together for awhile. Sorry to hear you lost one bun ...

It's very normal for females not to eat theirpellets for a few days (or more) after a spay. As long asshe's eating something and drinking, she should befine. I know how you feel though--I was a nervous wreck aftermy bunnies were spayed 2 weeks ago! Muff had to be hand fedand enticed, and Benebac also helped her. She didn't eatpellets for at least 5 days, though, so don't worry. It'sgood that Leilu is eating hay and veggies, and she'll probably startnibbling her pellets soon.

I'm really sorry to hear you lost your mini lop.

Latest posts

Back